PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for 49er's OT Trent Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many things has he done that he's never done in the last few years?

But, if you want to play that game, how many rookies who were IRed their first year went on to have outstanding careers?

NONE except Ben Watson.

You might have said "solid careers". I don't think that any patriot fits the bill other than Watson. Some might include Tre Flowers.

Why would any team want to simulate a defensive game plan that gave up 505 passing yards and 33 points?
You think we used an attacking style of defense against Nick Foles and the Eagles? If so, it was the most non-effective type of attacking defense that I’ve ever seen.

You think we used an attacking style of defense against Nick Foles and the Eagles? If so, it was the most non-effective type of attacking defense that I’ve ever seen.
I am talking about the Eagles defensive game plan being non-effective. You seem to think that I am praising the Patriots D game plan which is absurd.

Why would any team want to simulate a defensive game plan that gave up 505 passing yards and 33 points?
FreeTedWilliams meant teams will attack the Pats defense the way the Jaguars and Eagles did. They will go right after their LB's and safeties to cover the RB's in the flat and all over the field, especially on 3rd downs.

I'm really surprised the RPO work as well as it did. You'd think BB's game plan would've been to have the LB's just sit back there and assume it will be a pass. Like the game plan against in the Giants-Bills Super Bowl: if they run it, so what.

I am talking about the Eagles defensive game plan being non-effective. You seem to think that I am praising the Patriots D game plan which is absurd.
Both defenses sucked, so I’m not sure why you would think that I had assumed anything about praise as it pertains to either defensive strategy. Yes, that would have been “absurd,” as you say, particularly in a game that saw a total of one or two punts from both teams, combined. I didn’t say anything about praise or success. I simply asked if your opinion was that we used an attacking style of defense, that’s all. I was a bit surprised to read your comment.

In all fairness, you were the one who was confused in your response to @FreeTedWilliams ’ comment, as he stated that “teams will want to attack the Patriots the same way that the Eagles did,” yet you went on to comment on the opposite (Patriots offense versus Philly defense). That’s why I asked for clarification, because your response did not seem to make much sense.

FreeTedWilliams meant teams will attack the Pats defense the way the Jaguars and Eagles did. They will go right after their LB's and safeties to cover the RB's in the flat and all over the field, especially on 3rd downs.

I'm really surprised the RPO work as well as it did. You'd think BB's game plan would've been to have the LB's just sit back there and assume it will be a pass. Like the game plan against in the Giants-Bills Super Bowl: if they run it, so what.
Jags, Eagles, and Chiefs—too. Sad that both the start and end of the season were bookends for two historically bad Belichick defensive performances, especially since it appeared as though they didn’t learn a thing from their mistakes.

Makes you wonder why the Giants didn't trade for Brown instead of paying a king's ransom for Solder.

Probably because Solder is a model of character. Brown is obviously a gamble regarding conditioning, motivation. Why would SF give him away if there weren't issues that need to be addressed? If he buys into the system, he'll be an incredible bargain.

NONE except Ben Watson.

You might have said "solid careers". I don't think that any patriot fits the bill other than Watson. Some might include Tre Flowers.

Flowers was still with the team amd not IR'd until December and Watson was a 1st round choicce. There is a tendency to give your own picks a chance to show their stuff, but it diminishes from 1st, to 4th etc. IMO.

Probably because Solder is a model of character. Brown is obviously a gamble regarding conditioning, motivation. Why would SF give him away if there weren't issues that need to be addressed? If he buys into the system, he'll be an incredible bargain.

Because they have a boon at the position now for cheaper than what they would have had to pay Brown. Also, they still have holes elsewhere on the roster and could have used the draft picks.

Not stopping the run was the root of the defensive problems in the Sb.

I am suspicious

Any idea if Derek Rivers dropped back on coverage in college and how did he look? That's what we are clearly missing at LB. Someone that can cover. Hightower can do a little bit of it.

Both defenses sucked, so I’m not sure why you would think that I had assumed anything about praise as it pertains to either defensive strategy. Yes, that would have been “absurd,” as you say, particularly in a game that saw a total of one or two punts from both teams, combined. I didn’t say anything about praise or success. I simply asked if your opinion was that we used an attacking style of defense, that’s all. I was a bit surprised to read your comment.

In all fairness, you were the one who was confused in your response to @FreeTedWilliams ’ comment, as he stated that “teams will want to attack the Patriots the same way that the Eagles did,” yet you went on to comment on the opposite (Patriots offense versus Philly defense). That’s why I asked for clarification, because your response did not seem to make much sense.
Ok, it looks like I misread the original comment by Ted, and consequently yours too, so my bad man. I was thinking Defense, but you and Ted were thinking Offense.

There are many words to describe how the Pats defensive style that night but "attacking" would not be one of them. Seemed to me that they were trying to force Nick Foles to beat them by keeping Butler on the bench and giving significant reps to Jordan Richards and Bad-Mostly.

I found the Trent Brown trade the most curious thing the Pats did during this draft. I felt the Pats would be OK at OT with Waddle and Cannon as the starters and Garcia and Croston competing with the Seahawk guy for the swing roll and depth.

Of course, when they drafted Wynn, I thought maybe he'd become a G, or maybe they thought he could start at LT. Adding Brown for the cost of dropping 40 odd slots to my was redundant for a guy who might not be better than the guys we already have. Especially given he might just be a one-year rental.

With that pick we might have upgraded the rookie QB slot with Lauletta, or my own personal binky, Shaqueem Griffin. BTW- I also wouldn't be at all surprised to see one or more of our current OT's get cut prior to the start of TC.

Ok, it looks like I misread the original comment by Ted, and consequently yours too, so my bad man. I was thinking Defense, but you and Ted were thinking Offense.

There are many words to describe how the Pats defensive style that night but "attacking" would not be one of them. Seemed to me that they were trying to force Nick Foles to beat them by keeping Butler on the bench and giving significant reps to Jordan Richards and Bad-Mostly.

I think the game plan was to try to force Foles' arm to tire out and take advantage late in the game.

Not stopping the run was the root of the defensive problems in the Sb.
I didn't think the run D was that much of a problem until I looked at the boxscore just now. I didn't realize that Blount had 90 yards on only 14 attempts and Ajayi had 57 on only 9 attempts. But I do remember Blount ripping off that long TD run that really stung. During the postseason, I don't even care to look at the boxscore but couldn't believe the numbers the Pats put up in the Super Bowl. Amendola, Hogan Gronk and Brady lit it up yet they still lost. Tough pill to swallow.

I didn't think the run D was that much of a problem until I looked at the boxscore just now. I didn't realize that Blount had 90 yards on only 14 attempts and Ajayi had 57 on only 9 attempts. But I do remember Blount ripping off that long TD run that really stung. During the postseason, I don't even care to look at the boxscore but couldn't believe the numbers the Pats put up in the Super Bowl. Amendola, Hogan Gronk and Brady lit it up yet they still lost. Tough pill to swallow.
No Branch was huge. A bit underatted that no one is talking about how Branch was important player year ago. He was force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News