PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for 49er's OT Trent Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
They still have Cannon and Waddle, with Garcia returning. Wynn looks like a starting tackle. They paid a steep price just to bring in another depth OT. I think they must see it differently, although it certainly isn't clear what they are doing.
I think there is another shoe to drop

Tremaine Edmunds - the linebacker - weighed 253 at the Combine. His brother, Terrell Edmunds - the safety - who was also drafted last night, weighed 217. Perhaps you got them confused?

Roberts weighed 234 at his pro day (at 5' 11.5"). He's still listed on Patriots.com at 235 lbs, but I suppose he could weigh 5-10 lbs more than that now, after two years in the Pats' strength and conditioning program.

Well, then whatever show I was watching was wrong, because they had him listed at 230 pounds, and I thought to myself, he is definitely off of Bill's board.

should of kept solder..

then we wouldn't need to waste a draft pick on trent brown. i mean wtf...good ol tom is going to have play to perfection to win games again. you'd think BB would want to make things easier for his 41 year old QB? nope..
things just get harder.

this team is not better than the one that played in the SB.
By all means, we should definitely have paid Solder 17 mil a year.

should of kept solder..

then we wouldn't need to waste a draft pick on trent brown. i mean wtf...good ol tom is going to have play to perfection to win games again. you'd think BB would want to make things easier for his 41 year old QB? nope..
things just get harder.

this team is not better than the one that played in the SB.
If you want Solder for his skill then fine but to say waste a pick is so far off base. First off it was a pick swap so they still get to select a player just a little later. But more to the point of waste they will be fielding 5 offensive linemen who combined will make less than Solder. Including the less than 2 mil they owe Brown to be a starting tackle.
The resources consumed to keep Solder would have far exceeded this.

Last edited:
This is like the Ealy trade last year. Might be the same reults as well.

I think there is another shoe to drop
I think the only shoe left is for Scar to sort it all out. Cannon, Mason, Andrews, Thuney, Brown are all starters. You also got Waddle, a first Rd pick Wynn, and Garcia. Not to mention all the other jags they signed in FAency or already had. Scar has tons of clay to mold no reason to think he doesn't have everything he needs.

Well, then whatever show I was watching was wrong, because they had him listed at 230 pounds, and I thought to myself, he is definitely off of Bill's board.

Well, since the weigh-ins at the Combine (and at the Senior Bowl, Shrine Game and pro days) are conducted in full public view with the media, cameras, etc., I'm sure that if that weight measurement had been off by 20+ lbs, someone would have noticed and spoken up.

I'd therefore conclude that whatever show it was simply made a mistake. If it was up on the screen as a graphic, it's possible that someone just made a typo.

Just personal feelings. I worry why they want to give up on an alleged good right tackle so fast, and I wonder if it was an overpayment for a guy they don’t value anymore.

OK, but it was just a 50 slot mid-round swap, which is not even a full 2 round drop. I think they might have been able to get Donald Penn if they'd waited, but that's just reading the Raiders' tea leaves, and I don't think they wanted to risk not having enough quality OTs to protect TB12.

I'm much more worried about whether nor not the lardass will get in shape than I am about them picking in round 5 instead of round 3, in a draft where they'll have 4 picks from the first 2 rounds (barring a trade).

Small price to pay if he returns to form . If he plays great and leaves in free agency they will get a 3rd back for him, which mean they get him for a year and add a 5th round pick.

Why would he return to form?

I think the only shoe left is for Scar to sort it all out. Cannon, Mason, Andrews, Thuney, Brown are all starters. You also got Waddle, a first Rd pick Wynn, and Garcia. Not to mention all the other jags they signed in FAency or already had. Scar has tons of clay to mold no reason to think he doesn't have everything he needs.
Agree but I don't see Wynn or Brown riding the pine.

Clearly Bill is hedging his bets on the OT position.

Get the roster full and sort the bodies out as the lay.

Some of the responses in this thread (hell, in all of them)! Felger and Mazz are like a cancer spreading throughout New England, I guess.

I mean, Jesus, they dropped 50 slots later in the draft in order to get a guy who was a top-5 right tackle in the NFL, is huge and strong, and will cost them next to nothing against the cap.

Maybe he works out and the line is vastly improved and protected from the inevitable injuries. Maybe he plays well and they sign him to a longer deal, or, as a coveted position player in tackle, he goes and gets a good contract elsewhere next year, which gives the Pats a comp pick.

This place is crazy. Brady got hit way too much last year, so the Pats are trying to address it - and no, they shouldn't "of" kept Solder at 17m a year.

As for Wynn, there are very good draftniks here who were screaming for him - and if you looked at boards, it didn't look like the Pats had any chance at getting him without a 5-10 place move up.

Not too familiar with Brown, but my “SF may have just fleeced us, again” skepticism is full blown.

This guy was a late round pick, has played in 10 games over the past two years, and showed up to OTAs way out of shape. What am I missing? Serious question.

Maybe the Pats sign Antonio Gates?
Maybe. Just seems like an above-average ****load of OTs on the roster going into camp.

If they are projecting Wynn at OG then that means there are futuristic (contract, ceiling) concerns Bill has with Thuney and Shaq.

Not too familiar with Brown, but my “SF may have just fleeced us, again” skepticism is full blown.

This guy was a late round pick, has played in 10 games over the past two years, and showed up to OTAs way out of shape. What am I missing? Serious question.
Von miller says hes the best tackle hes ever faced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back