PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Showing Serious Interest in JuJu Smith-Schuster (Update: Done)

If we get Jeudy this may get bizzaro
Patjew will have to become Cary Grant...

68340187.jpg

Too Bad Meyers didn't feel wanted by the Patriots and he did not feel that the Patriots were committed to offense. IMO Meyers would have been a better signing for the same dollars.

Too Bad Meyers didn't feel wanted by the Patriots
Why? He's a big boy who got paid like one.

and he did not feel that the Patriots were committed to offense.
How do you know how he feels about how committed the Pats were to the offense? The first thing they did this off-season was fire Phat Matt and hire BoB. That sounds like a team committed to offense. to me.

Watch some Juju highlights and it is obvious he is more athletic than Myers.
He definitely is. Will that translate into more production than Meyers? I have my doubts.

They produce pretty much exactly the same last year but Meyers had twice the TD and Juju was in a much better situation than Meyers.

Without another addition at WR, this move doesn’t move the needle for me.

He definitely is. Will that translate into more production than Meyers? I have my doubts.

They produce pretty much exactly the same last year but Meyers had twice the TD and Juju was in a much better situation than Meyers.

Doesn't move the needle a lot for me either, but I think JuJu will be a nice addition.

Can JuJu beat man coverage? Supposedly he is good against zone, but not so good against man coverage. Does this mean he can be negated by a single decent CB or even a free safety? This bad news if he is our number one WR; the Jets (Sauce Gardner) and the Dolfiends (Ramsey) are not going to be quaking in their boots at this signing. Now if they Patriots had both Meyers and JuJu, then it would help but they still don't have a WRs that scares a defense into double coverage.

I like the signing. Didn’t bother me to lose Meyers

Disagree with takes that this is a lateral move or downgrade,

Meyers career averaged 0.13 TDs per game played vs 0.37 for JuJu. This is a huge difference. The athleticism and YAC improvement is also significant.

I like Meyers but everyone seems to forget he set a record with most yards before a td. The lateral also seems forgotten.

We will have to see if it works out but JuJu is a better receiver. Meyers value is inflated by a weak free agent market and a season where he was the top option. The Super Bowl champs were trying to resign him, so obviously valued him, but just didn’t have cap space to do so.

Not a big upgrade over Meyers but def an upgrade. Now grab Gesicki and Hopkins.
Gisikie would definitely be my choice at TE, I absolutely want D Hop also. Just imagine if it all came together this way..

D HOP, juju, Bourne, parker, Thornton, (*Marcus Jones) , Henry at TE and Gisikie..

I'd say D coordinators would at least have to game plan this season

he was in a better offense where he was at best the 3rd option in the red zone?

flip the script: if JuJu were in NE last year, where he was as times the only option, where he was Macs binky, do you think he would have produced more than Myers?

it's a decent upgrade......not a world changing addition, but an upgrade for the same $$

Now you're really going to hate me....the Pats also lost to the Steelers in 2018.

Comedy Central Mm GIF by Workaholics
LOL, meh - doesn't matter. His entry is from not long after that game five years ago - so while I couldn't get it right, at least the info in the article is right. :cool:

Thornton is really such a huge x-factor this year. If he makes the jump, the offense becomes so much more dynamic.
I'm expecting a jump out of Parker too, he's a legit weapon. JuJu, Parker, Thornton, Bourne and a 2nd or 3rd round draftee would be pretty good. I'd like to see us upgrade our TE situation next - Gesicki would be great.

flip the script: if JuJu were in NE last year, where he was as times the only option, where he was Macs binky, do you think he would have produced more than Myers?
No because they had the pretty much same amount of target per game last year. 6.8 tgt/g for Meyers and 6.3 tgt/g for juju. That’s a 8.5 target difference over a full season. And I think Juju wasn’t as productive when he was the focal point of the Steelers offense. I think he would have produce the same.

I think Meyers is underrated because he was a UDFA and we overrate Juju because of the 2018 season. We are not getting that guy. My opinion is that we are getting a 800-1000 yds receiver at best which is exactly what Meyers provide also. I think Meyers was getting better every year and his production was growing and I think we lack homegrown talent on this team. That’s why I would have kept him. Who are the last players that we developed and sign to a 2nd contract? Jon Jones?

I don’t think Juju is a bad player. He is a good player, it’s just that I believe they are similarly productive player and I would have kept the one I know who was a core player.

I am judging players by what they produce on the field.
There is no “argument” to fit.
Meyers led the Patriots offense in targets, yards, and TDs last season. He led the team in targets, receptions, and yards in 2020. He's been Mac's most dependable receiver. And Belichick let him walk. I don't like it. And now when Juju and Mac aren't connecting early on I'll have to listen to "give it more time" and they're both adjusting to a "new offense." Meyers and Juju got the same money so this one will easy to judge as a success or failure. We'll see what happens but I won't be participating in the excuse making if it doesn't go well.

I assume you are not saying either one of those two are better QBs than Bledsoe but simply pointing out a statistical similarity?
I'm pointing out the 3 quarterbacks had the same passer rating in the same era. Humphries and Fielder were not good quarterbacks. All 3 were very similar by many metrics (completion percentage, TD%, Y/A). Bledsoe had substantially more volume so his raw totals are more (including in undesirable categories). I'd take Bledsoe over both of the other two, no question, but I don't consider Bledsoe one of the better quarterbacks of his era. He's definitely not even a 1% consideration for the HOF.

Except that Smith did it longer. You can argue with yourself all you want, I don’t agree with you, and neither will the Hall.
Antonio Brown (2010-2021): 2nd in targets, 1st in receptions, 2nd in yards, 1st in TDs, 4x 1st team all pro

Steve Smith (2001-2016): 2nd in targets, 5th in receptions, 1st in yards, 8th in TDs, 2x 1st team all pro

AB's career is more impressive, especially if you add in the SB ring, but they both belong in the HOF.

I wrote this in another thread, but I don’t think the BB thought Meyers was great locker room guy. The players did, yes- Bill, no. Meyers openly questioned, in the press, the Patriots game planning as early as September. Questioning it in press, that was the beginning of the end for him in NE.
Factor in his mind-numbing lay stupid lateral in the Raiders game, which helped knock them out of the playoffs; and that was it. Bill will forgive a guy when the opponent makes a great play; he rarely suffers mental errors. I think BB felt like he couldn’t trust Meyers to do the right thing with a microphone in his face or a big game on the line. Frankly, he is not good enough to do that and have Bill keep him. So, they replaced him with someone for the same price.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back