PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots resign Marquis Flowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are still very slim at LB with Hightower, and Langi injuries and King and Grigsby as "who are they" type ST guys. Roberts regressing in 2017.

Two LB players to watch:
Chickillo of the Steelers RFA for a 6th rounder. Back to the Steeler/NE/ RFA game.

Ramik Wilson ILB FA (Chiefs) 6'2" 237.
A productive, flashy three-year starter at linebacker, Ramik Wilson was the leader of the Georgia defense. He’s an in-the-box linebacker with the speed to run downhill and close down rushing lanes, and he’ll give some power to his tackles too. He was highly productive and highly consistent as a tackler over the last three years and is one of the best, more accurate hitters in the entire draft class.

Something happened in K.C. Wrong fit? In 2016 had 75 Tackles.
Both under the Radar
DW Toys
That is the biggest dilemma that exist in the structure of the defense.
We only use 2 LBs so much that the 3rd LB only plays a handful of snaps but the 2 LBs are so critical to a nickel base system that you would like to have depth.

How much in resources do you devote to a guy who will hardly ever play if there are no injuries but will be one of the most critical players on your d if there are?

It’s seems B.B. feels you handle it with guys like Harris, McClellin, etc but that hasn’t worked out.

Zackly. Instead of that junk defense we threw out there against KC and Philly. How bout a front of; Guy/Shelton,M. Brown, T. Flowers with 4 lb's? Hightower, Van Noy, M. Flowers and our 1st rounder. LB's could blow up those shallow crossings by leveling the receivers. Like Hightower does. And, would be stouter vs run than 6 db's.
How would you defend 3 WRs TE RB offenses?

That is the biggest dilemma that exist in the structure of the defense.
We only use 2 LBs so much that the 3rd LB only plays a handful of snaps but the 2 LBs are so critical to a nickel base system that you would like to have depth.

How much in resources do you devote to a guy who will hardly ever play if there are no injuries but will be one of the most critical players on your d if there are?

It’s seems B.B. feels you handle it with guys like Harris, McClellin, etc but that hasn’t worked out.

Honestly depends on the LB addition. Plays like Shaquem Griffin & Oren Burks can take Richards snaps away at OLB/dime SS. LBs such as Lorenzo Carter can add a pass rush element. Leighton Vander Esch & Rashaan Evans are probably good enough to free up Hightower & make Van Noy a situational player.

There are snaps to be had with a highly drafted rookie LB.

Honestly depends on the LB addition. Plays like Shaquem Griffin & Oren Burks can take Richards snaps away at OLB/dime SS. LBs such as Lorenzo Carter can add a pass rush element. Leighton Vander Esch & Rashaan Evans are probably good enough to free up Hightower & make Van Noy a situational player.

I think that Shaquem Griffin would provide a TON of flexibility for the Pats in both coverage and pass rush, not to mention Special Teams.

Zackly. Instead of that junk defense we threw out there against KC and Philly. How bout a front of; Guy/Shelton,M. Brown, T. Flowers with 4 lb's? Hightower, Van Noy, M. Flowers and our 1st rounder. LB's could blow up those shallow crossings by leveling the receivers. Like Hightower does. And, would be stouter vs run than 6 db's.
Flowers wasn’t even deemed worthy of being on the field for most of the Super Bowl, so I’m not sure why you’re assuming he’s an upgrade.

Richards snaps are limited to a gimmick defense we used against certain schemes and hopefully have learned is a failure.

But if you use a pick to send VanNoy to the bench you leave another greater need unfilled.

Not with the big nickel
Why not?
Gilmore McCourty McCourty Harmon Chung. On early downs replace a safety with a corner on passing downs

Why not?
Gilmore McCourty McCourty Harmon Chung. On early downs replace a safety with a corner on passing downs

I'm missing something Andy. Nickle + 2LB's + 3 DT's. Who's the missing player? DE?

Coach Bill tells me to keep the results of my training "in house". It is a "coaches' decision". As you know he “ don’t Twitter, don’t MyFace, don’t Yearbook.”
He partially gave it away when he said “Well, umm…he’s a good player. We have a lot of good players.” I called him back and he told me “You Sure That’s the Question You Want to Ask?” Just for you Tony2046 I asked him a third time and he said “Do your job.” Sorry I cannot be more help. :eek::confused::rolleyes:
Yeah but is your training Alex Guerrero approved?

Richards snaps are limited to a gimmick defense we used against certain schemes and hopefully have learned is a failure.

But if you use a pick to send VanNoy to the bench you leave another greater need unfilled.

To follow up, do you think it’s wise to have Hightowe at 90+% snaps? What do you see as our needs outside LT?

To follow up, do you think it’s wise to have Hightowe at 90+% snaps? What do you see as our needs outside LT?
I believe that if a player is healthy he plays. I’ve never seen an effective plan if having a guy sit out parts of a game for fear of injury.

I think we have need at
TE
DE
Cb
S
OT
QB
and potentially WR IOL RB

And we have need at lb but the need is tricky.
If we have health the need is for a big player. If we don’t it’s a very big role.

I don’t see using a high pick there for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick