PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots releasing Bodine..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this is just temporary. Bodine doesn’t have to go through waivers (unlike the other two backup OL), and they kinda need somebody who knows the playbook to be ready in case of a Karras injury.
WR D. Thomas just received a $300k bump for a potentially similar wink wink nudge nudge agreement.

Last edited:
I'll be very interested in knowing why Bodine was released. Some were expecting him to eventually be starting at center this season.

I wonder if this is just temporary. Bodine doesn’t have to go through waivers (unlike the other two backup OL), and they kinda need somebody who knows the playbook to be ready in case of a Karras injury.

I agree with both of these posts. *

IF* Bodine is actually a decent Center, he still would need some time to learn the play book.

Can Gunner play center? :rolleyes:

We do not want to get too deep with the Back-ups with this bunch...really happy Joe Thuney took some reps at Tackle in TC. That might come in handy when Marcus Cannon have to miss his customary game or three. Don't like that guy we currently have at Back-up Tackle he looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Seems Bodine didn't fit for whatever reason(s), be it attitude, ability to learn the playbook, coachability, investment, etc.

I doubt it was a skill/talent issue; Pats don't cut players because they lack raw talent/skill, they coach them up in that case. They do cut you if you're not willing/able to receive coaching. Seems like a bit of an indictment on Bodine, but I could be jumping to conclusions.

Bummer we lost a draft pick on this failed investment.

So Brosette could've been Barry Sanders if he just listened to Ivan Fears?

I knew one of these linemen we brought in would be let go. They took up a valuable roster spot.

I knew one of these linemen we brought in would be let go. They took up a valuable roster spot.

Huh? His replacement (for now) is a noticeably weak lineman.

So Brosette could've been Barry Sanders if he just listened to Ivan Fears?

Bit of a strawman in my opinion. I don't think that's a good-faith argument in response to my post.

The Pats gave up a 6th round pick for Bodine so presumably they had scouted him and felt the talent/ability was there. Additionally, given the depth (or lack thereof) at OL, they don't need great players; they simply need capable players who can accept coaching, learn, and be relied upon should an injury occur. For that role, reliability/ability to accept coaching is of greater importance than raw talent.

Maybe Bodine completely sucks and you're right, but I doubt that's the case given the context of his acquisition, and what has generally been said about him (that he's strong and physically gifted to an extent).

The alternative argument is that this is a week-specific move and that Bodine will return in the future. That makes sense and would render my "can't accept coaching/learn" argument wrong, which I am happy to admit could be the case.

OK, I'm feeling a little better about this:

Huh? His replacement (for now) is a noticeably weak lineman.

I don’t mean another lineman. We likely lost crossen, to free up room for these lineman, in addition to losing a draft pick. I think Karras is a good lineman.

Let me guess...retirement?? o_O

Reiss always with the deeper info........good point.

Post edit: Just saw Sciz post #8 had the same thought.

Good point. Still Im afraid this might be wishful thinking . even if it indeed happens . this is another bad news in a long line of OL bad news this year . and what makes it worse is the season is here..

Not that i can be really worried with BB and Dante . but it will take considerable health luck and effort to keep the line honest.. Hopefully some roster opportunity presents itself around mid-season deadline..

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. He might be too far behind on the line calls to warrant a roster spot. Once the game is over they will resign him and drop player X.

Bit of a strawman in my opinion. I don't think that's a good-faith argument in response to my post.

The Pats gave up a 6th round pick for Bodine so presumably they had scouted him and felt the talent/ability was there. Additionally, given the depth (or lack thereof) at OL, they don't need great players; they simply need capable players who can accept coaching, learn, and be relied upon should an injury occur. For that role, reliability/ability to accept coaching is of greater importance than raw talent.

Maybe Bodine completely sucks and you're right, but I doubt that's the case given the context of his acquisition, and what has generally been said about him (that he's strong and physically gifted to an extent).

The alternative argument is that this is a week-specific move and that Bodine will return in the future. That makes sense and would render my "can't accept coaching/learn" argument wrong, which I am happy to admit could be the case.

I just think it's ridiculous to think that the Patriots only cut players based on them not being coachable and not that it sometimes is just a talent issue. He has been a starter in the league but a couple teams have now moved on from him which makes it reasonable to assume his skills may be declining. It may just be them wanting someone who is more up to speed with the offense and he comes back or it may be he just isn't as good as they thought he was. I would be very surprised if they cut him because he refused to listen to the coaches.

With Bodine released today, his contract doesn’t become automatically guaranteed as it would be if he on the roster Sunday. Maybe, they determined in a week that he’s not really worth his $2.1 million salary gap figure.

With Bodine released today, his contract doesn’t become automatically guaranteed as it would be if he on the roster Sunday. Maybe, they determined in a week that he’s not really worth his $2.1 million salary gap figure.

This + the fact that he won't go through waivers means this is most likely more controlled release as Reiss has stated. Nothing to see here really.

Let's hope Ferantz is only a stop gap and never makes the field

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey