PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Here come the cap cuts

Ridley isn’t coming, it’s a fools errand
I see Wolf turning his attention to Mike Williams now after he's cut the Chargers really messed up their window.

I agree that Renfro on a prove it bottom of the roster deal makes sense, but what does that have to do with going after Ridley?

I want to know how Renfrow being on the Bottom of the Roster improves things? What does he bring to special teams that we don't already have in Marcus Jones, Jalen Reagor, Pop Douglas, Antonio Gibson and Isaiah Bolden?

But....but...but...the cap is crap...
Seems like the Chargers loaded up a few years back and Mahomes said hold my beer.
Say What Oh Hell No GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Seems like the Chargers loaded up a few years back and Mahomes said hold my beer.
Say What Oh Hell No GIF by Robert E Blackmon
The Chargers let dead men walking sign those extensions, going all in knowing if they didn't win, that they wouldn't be running the team anymore anyway.

Two posters stating ‘we have Douglas’. This team is in no position to bypass talent, regardless of what is on the roster. The roster is putrid and talent must be brought in. Injuries, second year slumps, many factors are to be considered. If NE likes the player - Renfrow or other - get em.
because you don't tie up cap money for a redundant position before the draft.

Renfrow's had 4 meh seasons and 1 great one. I feel like the Pats just released a guy who had 1 great season and ended up being bad for them. 2nd time's the charm? At least HR has been really great at separating, per the stats.

Up to me, I'd pass and look at the draft.

There’s gonna be a lot to choose from at 34 and still a few at 68. Who are you hoping will be available?
Also depends what they do earlier, if they trade back from #3 they could acquire another 2nd round pick and really load up.

I see Wolf turning his attention to Mike Williams now after he's cut the Chargers really messed up their window.

Why would you think that it's Williams that he'd cut and not Allen?

Why would you think that Williams wouldn't get an extension to lower his cap?

What are you talking about?
The Chargers could move on from M Williams they Drafted Q Johnson Round 1 last year. This is the Deepest WR Class in years to get future replacements.

The Chargers have pick #5 which can be Malik Nabers/Rome Odunze or maybe even Marvin Harrison Jr. if someone trades up to #4 for the fourth QB. So they are very motivated to trade one or both WRs to A) get major cap relief, B) get younger and C) drop a player(s) that they're about to replace anyway for capital back.

The Chargers could move on from M Williams they Drafted Q Johnson Round 1 last year. This is the Deepest WR Class in years to get future replacements.

Now I understand what you were talking about.

The Chargers have pick #5 which can be Malik Nabers/Rome Odunze or maybe even Marvin Harrison Jr. if someone trades up to #4 for the fourth QB. So they are very motivated to trade one or both WRs to A) get major cap relief, B) get younger and C) drop a player(s) that they're about to replace anyway for capital back.

Keep in mind any trade the Chargers make won't help them until tomorrow, they have to be below the cap by 4:00 today

When I look at our current WR depth chart...

Bourne is a Z that can play the slot some.
Juju is a slot that can play some Z.
Douglas is a pure slot.
Thornton right now is a bust, but projects mostly as a Z if he ever could play anywhere.

Renfroe is a pure slot. We don't currently have an X receiver. If Renfroe was signing for a vet minimum deal non guaranteed then obviously we aren't in position to be picky, but with our current depth chart he just isn't the type of WR we should be targeting.
Finding a true X isn't easy nowadays

I want to know how Renfrow being on the Bottom of the Roster improves things? What does he bring to special teams that we don't already have in Marcus Jones, Jalen Reagor, Pop Douglas, Antonio Gibson and Isaiah Bolden?

Marcus Jones plays defense, Reagor and Bolden have never done anything, and Gibson is a third down back.

Yeah they have other players, but I wouldn't have any objection to offering Renfro a prove it to me deal.

The way rosters are today, he could sit on the practice squad and help in November when three of those guys are on IR.

Marcus Jones plays defense, Reagor and Bolden have never done anything, and Gibson is a third down back.

Yeah they have other players, but I wouldn't have any objection to offering Renfro a prove it to me deal.

The way rosters are today, he could sit on the practice squad and help in November when three of those guys are on IR.

Renfro is much better than a prove it deal player, he was getting 13 million, that’s why they cut him. Someone is going to give him at least 8.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back