PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Patriots place transition tag on Dugger

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Save your condescension.

This wasn't a promising move for team tying to change their reputation. You think Dugger is happy about this?
WTF do I know, not a mind reader.

Maybe these scenarios were mentioned already…

- If another team signs Dugger then the Patriots can use the transition or franchise tag on another player like Onwenu.
- If Dugger stays with the Pats on the transition tag for the moment but signs a new contract a few days later…the transition tag is available again for another Patriots player.

I’m not sure how either of these scenarios work but if anyone knows…thanks.

Maybe these scenarios were mentioned already…

- If another team signs Dugger then the Patriots can use the transition or franchise tag on another player like Onwenu.
- If Dugger stays with the Pats on the transition tag for the moment but signs a new contract a few days later…the transition tag is available again for another Patriots players.

I’m not sure how either of these scenarios work but if anyone knows…thanks.
I think all tags had to be applied by 4pm today, so no.

I like both Duggar and Onwenu. Both have been good to very good and having them back would definitely help.

Having said that : the only positions I really see actual change-the-game value on this roster are Gonzalez at CB and Barmore on the DL. I’d not argue heavily about someone wanting to add Rham at RB. But even those three : would we cry if they left ? I’d be sad to see the first two leave, but truthfully we were ok at RB after the injury - for the most part…

McKinney hitting the market.

He'll be gone before the Pats can settle the Dugger issue, I expect.

EDIT: This, by the way, is the other reason I hate this move. They are now out on guys like McKinney...

It means less money for Dugger and the Pats can then match any offers another team gives him.

It means they're being CHEAP again, is what it means.
They should use any means they have. I don't understand the difficulty. It's not being cheap. In fact, given all the safeties on the market, $13m is good for Dugger.

I suspect a lot of safeties will get a lot less than that.

He's certainly not worth the full franchise tag price.

They were never getting a comp pick off of this free agency. Save your emotions for a week or 2, you'll feel better.
He used the term "Comp Pick." I'm not sure that's what it's called when your transition player is signed by another team, but this is totally different than the comp. pick formula for losing free agents.

I like both Duggar and Onwenu. Both have been good to very good and having them back would definitely help.

Having said that : the only positions I really see actual change-the-game value on this roster are Gonzalez at CB and Barmore on the DL. I’d not argue heavily about someone wanting to add Rham at RB. But even those three : would we cry if they left ? I’d be sad to see the first two leave, but truthfully we were ok at RB after the injury - for the most part…
Dugger and Onwenu have Pro Bowl value. They are legitimately top players in this league. Both had stellar 2022 seasons, and were not as good this past year. Who was?

McKinney hitting the market.

He'll be gone before the Pats can settle the Dugger issue, I expect.

EDIT: This, by the way, is the other reason I hate this move. They are now out on guys like McKinney...
Maybe, but not necessarily. Pats have used dime and nickel with 3 safeties for a while now; number 3 safety got over 50% snaps last year. Peppers and Dugger playing strong safety / coverage linebacker, and McKinney playing free safety isn’t out of the realm of possibility. Might be pushing to have the 3 safeties to have more than 70% snaps next year, and further minimize the linebacker role.

I don't understand how people can think Kraft would get involved in the technicalities of signing a safety. Talk about grasping at air lol.

Is Dugger actually worth $13MM? I know cap has gone up a lot last couple years so my view could be distorted but that seems way too high for Dugger.
The Pats would never pay Duggar 13 million, they're too cheap, Oh wait!

Both Duggar and Onwenu are good, not great players.

Onwenu might not be a great fit for the AVP more mobile OL scheme. Onwenu was the tackle on the #32 OL in the NFL, and is big and stout. AVP plays a more athletic approach. Onwenu is a better guard than tackle. The Pats have Strange, who, on paper is the right fit for the AVP line, performance aside, plus the half dozen or so IOL they drafted the past couple seasons. But Strange could miss training camp. It's complicated. But paying Onwenu $20M seems like a lot for what he offers.

On Duggar - the Pats have another big in-the-box safety in Peppers, plus the hybrid who didn't really play last year in Mapu. Mapu may be better at roving LB, but he was drafted at 216 pounds, where Duggars was drafted at 217. They really need a center fielder like McCourty. Getting Duggar back LT would be great.

It would be really nice to hear of an extension for Barmore and re-signing Henry.

Dugger and Onwenu have Pro Bowl value. They are legitimately top players in this league. Both had stellar 2022 seasons, and were not as good this past year. Who was?
We’ll need to disagree. I think both are very nice players. Neither - IMO - is a legit Pro Bowler. Doesn’t mean I think they aren’t good. I just don’t see them as « every play they are likely to make things happen » types.

Why can’t the Patriots sign any of their good players to extensions?

Pisses me off no end. I just looked it up - now they can't use the franchise tag on Onwenu or anyone else.

So they screwed over Dugger for a couple million and are going to lose Onwenu, as well.

Yeah, sure, it wasn't Kraft these years...sure.
Paying franchise tag money based on elite left tackle salaries to a guard/substitute RT would be a fireable offense, especially in ThunderVille

We’ll need to disagree. I think both are very nice players. Neither - IMO - is a legit Pro Bowler. Doesn’t mean I think they aren’t good. I just don’t see them as « every play they are likely to make things happen » types.
Onwenu was rated a second team All-Pro last year by the Pro Football Writers.

Dugger had more impactful plays than any other safety that year. He doesn't have the bonafides of Onwenu, but he should've been recognized for the amazing amount of big plays.

In case people forgot about 2022 Dugger:

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back