PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Patriots place transition tag on Dugger

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
You don’t change that kind of perception with moves like this, especially when you’ve got gobs to burn, by contract, over the next two years.
I think they have $300M in cap space over the next two years. It would not hurt the Patriots to borrow a bit from the future, but that would mean more cash spending.
Oh, and PS, I have the well-earned reputation of being one of the biggest homers here.
I think there are a few bigger homers, but you are right up there and I appreciate that.

I think they have $300M in cap space over the next two years. It would not hurt the Patriots to borrow a bit from the future, but that would mean more cash spending.
Ayup, and where (not sports radio) gave I heard reference to “cash spending” regarding this team.

Let h no e think real hard.
I think there are a few bigger homers, but you are right up there and I appreciate that.

Also, I had Sox season tickets in the Oavillion Club for years. I won’t watch them on TV now, let alone go to the park. I support teams that want to win.

I hear everyone on the Patriots being cheap theme, but IMO I think they are playing this right with Dugger. He's not a player we should break the bank on. We have a much bigger need at free safety.

Pats are comfortable paying him 1 yr 13 million or matching a reasonable offer should he get one. Pats shouldn't match a multi year 15 million AAV contract for him as an in the box safety and given the market, it was unlikely Dugger would have resigned unless we blew him away with an offer. I'd rather pay a corner that type of money.

I'm going to let free agency play out before declaring they are refusing to spend.

Andrew Callahan talked about the Cap on his podcast and the minimum amount teams are required to spend per the CBA. It's an astronomical amount of money. It still doesn't mean that you don't set values on players.

We are the first team to use the Transition tag since 2020, and Dugger is only the 6th player with a Transition tag over the last 15 years.

Who is in charge of player contracts??? Robyn Glazer. Who thought of applying the Transition tag for the first time since 2020? Robyn Glazer. Who just paid for their salary by putting downward pressure on a player's salary? Robyn Glazer.

I am not going to say I told you so.

OK, I'm confused.

If we polled last week, how many how many posters thought that Dugger was worth $13.8M.

Now that we offered him that, the team is so, so cheap for not offering more than $17M.
==============
????
==========
The team has 3 free agent safeties. They chose to OVERPAY for Dugger while they negotiate with others and/or try to get a safety in the draft. To me, this seems reasonable. The hope is that no team is going to offer him a deal at all, and perhaps it will be a reasonable long-term deal which thy can match.

A couple of million bucks is the difference between the transition tag and the franchise tag, that's why the transition tag is only used about once every 2 years by franchises in the NFL.

If you don't want to match now you get nothing all to save a few million and you could lose Onwenu in the process, what difference does a few million make when you've got over 100m.

It's a cheap move by a cheap owner.

There's literally zero reason to use the transition tag over the franchise tag other than being cheap that's why it's been used 5 times in 10 years.

There is a $3.3 million difference, and given nobody else is even going to make a competing offer here (given the Pats' cap space they can't make an offer that the Pats wouldn't accept) using the Franchise tag would just be wasting money.

That $3.3 million might be the difference between signing Onwenu or not. It's not a question of "cheap" - if you spend on one player you have less for the others.

Not to mention this might well be a placeholder for a longer-term contract at a similar annual value.

Last edited:
We are the first team to use the Transition tag since 2020, and Dugger is only the 6th player with a Transition tag over the last 15 years.

Who is in charge of player contracts??? Robyn Glazer. Who thought of applying the Transition tag for the first time since 2020? Robyn Glazer. Who just paid for their salary by putting downward pressure on a player's salary? Robyn Glazer.

I am not going to say I told you so.
My gosh, what a stupid post.

Of course there is a reason to use it. It is TOO MATCH. Players are not going to get offers with the franchise tag because teams are not going to give up 2 firsts. But the transition tag sets a price that allows the player to explore and the team to know the value.
Give up bro. Your fight has been valiant. Robert Kraft somehow is not only a senile old man but also a dastardly salary cap whiz**** who is out there counting his pinched pennies. People are ridiculous.

That’s too much logic for their hate
The word hate is thrown around here too often and most times doesn't belong. What's so hateful about having a different opinion about the tag used on a player?

The most common word that should be thrown around for a football team in the Pats' position is patience. We'll need to have some going forward.

People here just love to complain
When the bell of hate rings, does not the bell of love also vibrate?

Besides, complaining about a 4-13 football team is as American as apple pie.

I don't know.

To me, it means they have no intention of letting him walk, otherwise they would have given him a tag that gives them some compensation if they turn down the offer.
It says to me that they value Kyle Dugger... He can freely check his worth on the open market, and if it's acceptable, we swoop in and match... Or remove the tag, and sign him to a long term extension based on those numbers...

Smart play by Wolf... Not committing to a one year high dollar deal with the franchise tag... Balanced by the ability to retain Dugger if the numbers work

Last edited:
My guess is that Dugger is gone.

You Franchise Tag a player that you want to keep. Tampa Franchised Winfield who is 25 years old. Dugger is 27 years old and I have never seen the Transition Tag work out for the current team. The Bungles Transitioned Takeo Spikes years ago and lost him and got nothing in return.

Delete as Triumph posted this information just now.

OK, I'm confused.

If we polled last week, how many how many posters thought that Dugger was worth $13.8M.

Now that we offered him that, the team is so, so cheap for not offering more than $17M.

This is exactly right. I think the tag number is roughly the AV he should get over a 3-4 year deal based on comparative ability. At the very least, it’s a starting point for negotiations on a longer term deal. Plus, it doesn’t hinder Dugger getting an offer from another team.

I like Dugger but I think him and Peppers are somewhat redundant but I think Peppers actually has more ability to play free safety in a pinch over Dugger. Not to say that Peppers is the solution at free safety but Dugger needs to be in the box otherwise he doesn't offer as much value as he is a liability in coverage. I like Dugger for what he is but I kind of look at his free agency situation the way I viewed JC Jackson before he signed with LAC. A good role player but don't overextend for him.

The big difference is the signing team needs to give 2 first rounders to sign which keep teams from doing it usually. With the transition tag there is no draft picks so teams are more likely to try
This is a good idea with Dugger. Find out what the real market is, prevent a team in the conference or division from snatching him off the roster without the chance of matching, and let him and his agent know you're willing to pay market value if there truly is a market there. As you say, Dugger is easily worth two first-rounders, especially during this period of rebuilding the roster.

I've always thought the transition tag was underutilized. Its an excellent negotiating tool and doesn't commit a team to paying exhorbitant franchise tag prices for one-year rentals.

For Dugger, he gets to pick where he wants to go if somebody makes an offer. Seriously, if a team like San Francisco makes an offer and he wants to move on to get a shot at a Super Bowl title, the Patriots can match, but his agent can say forget it, he does not want to stay here. Mayo and those guys are smart enough to know they're better off letting a player who does not want to play in New England go, and opting to take the two first round draft picks in return.

For the record, I hate sports radio. I also don’t like this move at all and didn’t from the moment learned about it - in this thread.

I doubt Dugger’s going to get much attention with teams knowing the Pats can easily match. My understanding is that players don’t much like the franchise tag, and hate the transition tag.

My gut reaction to reading this was that it does nothing to elevate the Patriots as a destination. Evans didn’t want to come here, nor does Mayfield, according to today’s reporting.

You don’t change that kind of perception with moves like this, especially when you’ve got gobs to burn, by contract, over the next two years.

Like I said, it was a gut reaction. If they have a great FA period and come to terms with Dugger, I’ll be glad to be wrong.

Right now, they’re way behind the curve.

Oh, and PS, I have the well-earned reputation of being one of the biggest homers here.
Man, you read a lot into this move.

I like Dugger but I think him and Peppers are somewhat redundant but I think Peppers actually has more ability to play free safety in a pinch over Dugger. Not to say that Peppers is the solution at free safety but Dugger needs to be in the box otherwise he doesn't offer as much value as he is a liability in coverage. I like Dugger for what he is but I kind of look at his free agency situation the way I viewed JC Jackson before he signed with LAC. A good role player but don't overextend for him.
I know they used Mills some for the role but I also thought they used Dugger at FS some too, I thought Peppers got stay at SS more than Dugger?

OK, I'm confused.

==============
????
==========
The team has 3 free agent safeties. They chose to OVERPAY for Dugger while they negotiate with others and/or try to get a safety in the draft. To me, this seems reasonable. The hope is that no team is going to offer him a deal at all, and perhaps it will be a reasonable long-term deal which thy can match.
You guys are underrating Dugger by a lot. He becomes a big star and an annual Pro Bowler in this league if he leaves New England. We'll be asking who made the decision to let him get away.

As for his value, under the old salary cap, I'd say it's top 10 or around $14m. But the agents are pushing for totally new values now with the massive explosion in the cap.

This is Dugger's ONE chance to get the money. There will be no more chances for him.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back