PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kyle Dugger unhappy with transition tag

Status
Not open for further replies.

50-yard-line

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Unsurprisingly, word out now is that Dugger is angry about the transition tag.

My guess is that he feels like the Patriots hurt his chances in FA because they could match any offer.

You know there’s something seriously wrong when Dugger is making more than a 2 time Pro Bowl/2 time All Pro Safety Kevin Byard and 6 time Pro Bowl/2 time All Pro Harrison Smith. They are only 2-3 years apart.

You know there’s something seriously wrong when Dugger is making more than a 2 time Pro Bowl/2 time All Pro Safety Kevin Byard and 6 time Pro Bowl/2 time All Pro Harrison Smith. They are only 2-3 years apart.
Harrison Smith is 8 years older.

As for Byard, he was getting toasted a lot in Philly, so they traded him for peanuts. I think he's done at 30. Reminds me a bit of McCourty's fall off in 2021, even though McCourty was 3 years older than where Byard is now

There are 7 guys around Dugger's age who earn more.

My guess is that he feels like the Patriots hurt his chances in FA because they could match any offer.
As much as I love Dugger. Supposedly he refused whatever the team offered him for months before being hit with the tag..

He is a great player, however never made a pro bowl or all pro selection and still is making top of the market salary on the tag for this season.

I think that that doesn't really add up. The free agent safety market has been bad. He can see what other guys are getting on the open market, and it's not much. Does he think he was somehow going to be the #1 free agent safety signing of the offseason if only he hadn't been tagged? Not to mention that as a tagged player, he's still able to talk to other teams and determine his value/negotiate.

I think that that doesn't really add up. The free agent safety market has been bad. He can see what other guys are getting on the open market, and it's not much. Does he think he was somehow going to be the #1 free agent safety signing of the offseason if only he hadn't been tagged? Not to mention that as a tagged player, he's still able to talk to other teams and determine his value/negotiate.
It's more that there is a perception with that tag that others teams don't want to negotiate on another teams behalf. It was the Lamar Jackson issue last year. Nobody wanted to make a play to get him because they felt like anything reasonable would be matched by the Ravens and they'd have to put something stupid out there to get him.

No all pros, no pro bowls... 13 million.. not a bad thing.

My guess is that this is nothing more than Dugger/his agent negotiating through the press. They are certainly not the first, nor the last to do so.

Smart tactic considering the local sports media has been leading the fan base to complain about the Patriots not spending money.

Links to the story origin below:

Audio file:

Column:

My guess is that this is nothing more than Dugger/his agent negotiating through the press. They are certainly not the first, nor the last to do so.

Smart tactic considering the local sports media has been leading the fan base to complain about the Patriots not spending money.

Links to the story origin below:

Audio file:

Column:
Like butler, Collins and even Hightower. He turned down extensions during the season and again this off season. Sometimes guys misjudge the market when they bet on themselves.. I'm all for players to get paid they put thier bodies though hell to entertain us.

But the market just wasn't there for safeties this offseason. I believe he still inks a long term. Deal with the team.

13 million reasons not to be dissatisfied. Stay healthy and carve your way to that contract by betting on yourself. Sympathy is not for millionaires crying about money.
Well put. I believe Kyle bet on himself and misjudged the market. He's a hell of a player but I mean C'mon. Most ppl are living check to check, in Massachusetts traffic is terrible, unaffordable housing everywhere, overpopulation.. millionaire complaing... lol

I agree that the market was likely the biggest reason he isn't seeing what he wanted to see - but I'm sure that he holds some of that on the Patriots if no other teams wanted to talk to a T-tagged player.

I said at the beginning of the original thread on this that I would bet he was pissed at being transition tagged. I think most players would be because out the gate it cripples their negotiating power.

The question is, do the Patriots think he's only worth $12m when the best are earning $17m?

The Pro Bowl stuff is just irrelevant to me, I put no stock in that. It's the Patriots evaluation that matters.

Personally I think he's great and should be in that $15-$16m range, especially now with the expanded cap.

If he goes out there and plays on the tag, it will be his last season as a Patriot.

I agree that the market was likely the biggest reason he isn't seeing what he wanted to see - but I'm sure that he holds some of that on the Patriots if no other teams wanted to talk to a T-tagged player.

I said at the beginning of the original thread on this that I would bet he was pissed at being transition tagged. I think most players would be because out the gate it cripples their negotiating power.
I get it, but realistically speaking, the guaranteed salary he’s making for 1 year of play this year isn’t much less than the total guarantees most free agent safeties got for their entire contracts this offseason. I actually think only Xavier McKinney got more guaranteed money than $13M, and that’s a 4 year contract.

The question is, do the Patriots think he's only worth $12m when the best are earning $17m?

The Pro Bowl stuff is just irrelevant to me, I put no stock in that. It's the Patriots evaluation that matters.

Personally I think he's great and should be in that $15-$16m range, especially now with the expanded cap.

If he goes out there and plays on the tag, it will be his last season as a Patriot.
If he lays well on the tag, we can tag him again.

Honestly? Trade him for a 4, and sign Simmons for less $$ who is a much better FS.

$13.8 is too rich for a glorified LB.
He's a couple years older. Will turn 31 during the season.

Also, this from the day the Broncos cut him (he was making $15m per on his previous contract).

"Simmons is coming off a down season by his standards, which included some uncharacteristic missed plays."

You're trading away someone in his prime and paying even more for a guy who may be going over the hill.

Doesn't the 2nd year tag come with a 20% tax on top of the top safety average?
Yes but with this year and that he cashes in pretty good. Not sure what he's looking for, maybe way too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST