PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Patriots place transition tag on Dugger

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Yes, they have to offer the same exact contract terms to execute right of first refusal. Obvious poison pills (like “player will receive $100m bonus if plays 3 games in New England”) are barred by the current CBA due to that type of abuse happening 20 years ago. What tends to happen instead would be to structure the contract in a way that the original team can’t handle. Typically it would involve front loading the contract, so the original team would not be able to fit him into the cap without cutting a number of guys. Given the Pats salary cap situation, that’s not an issue here.

The one year, 13.8m contract kicks in the moment Dugger signs the tender, although for salary cap purposes it’s effective today. And he’d sign the tender if no one makes him an offer that he likes.

Good to know. Thanks Hammer.

Great Job Reaction GIF

Not real familiar with the transition tag. If the Pats match the top offer, can Dugger still just say no thanks and sign to that other team? Or is that where the leverage is with the tag in the first place?

Not real familiar with the transition tag. If the Pats match the top offer, can Dugger still just say no thanks and sign to that other team? Or is that where the leverage is with the tag in the first place?
Pats get first right of refusal on any contract Dugger receives. The downside is that if they decline to match, they don't get any compensation for him.

Or, they wanted Winfield Jr. who's a true FS and are hedging their bets. I hope FS McKinney from the Giants is still available, as he was my 2nd FS choice. Best case scenario: A team signs Dugger and the Patriots get the draft pick compensation that a team would have to give up to sign a Transition Tagged Player, and then sign McKinney as FS.
No tag for McKinney. Even with this move, I’d love for them to target him as their new free safety.

Resign Dugger and Jennings. Add Wilkins, McKinney and a starting caliber outside CB in FA or (more likely) the draft +/- Baker and their D would be filthy nasty.

Pats get first right of refusal on a contract. The downside is that if they decline to match, they get now compensation for him.

So Dugger is obligated to sign with the Pats if they match his highest offer from another team?

Th patriots signed a top rated safety to a one year contract for $13.8M.

I'm fine with the contract.
====================
This would NOT stop me from signing another safety to a long-term deal. After all, we have THREE free agent safeties: Dugger. Phillips and Mills.

If DUGGER wants to be here and have us stop looking for safeties, then he can negotiate a long-term offer with the team.
I think the problem is that the transition tag discourages teams from even getting into the process of bidding on a player because of the possibility of the match. I thought the players hated the transition tag because of this. As for withdrawing the transition tag, is there a time limit on that? At some point does it become a tendered contract that the player can simply accept?

This franchise is so cheap, using the transition tag is ridiculous.

All to save a couple of million bucks, you either want a player or you don’t.
How do you know it was only a "couple million bucks" were you at the negotiations? You know he only asked for that? The transition tag is better for the player if he wants offers then the franchise tag

No tag for McKinney. Even with this move, I’d love for them to target him as their new free safety.

Resign Dugger and Jennings. Add Wilkins, McKinney and a starting caliber outside CB in FA or (more likely) the draft +/- Baker and their D would be filthy nasty.
Christian Wilkins on the DL with Barmore and a real talented and young FS in McKinney? That would be awesome!!! I magine if they were also able to draft T'Vondre Sweat or Maason Smith to add to that DL?

How long do teams have to make an offer on a transitioned tagged player?

Yes, they have to offer the same exact contract terms to execute right of first refusal. Obvious poison pills (like “player will receive $100m bonus if plays 3 games in New England”) are barred by the current CBA due to that type of abuse happening 20 years ago.

More explicitly, any term that would create different burdens for the matching team is disallowed.

Christian Wilkins on the DL with Barmore and a real talented and young FS in McKinney? That would be awesome!!! I magine if they were also able to draft T'Vondre Sweat or Maason Smith to add to that DL?
Wilkins grew up in MA. Wonder if he was a Pats fan, I’d love him here next to Barmore and White and Judon.

Too many posters parrot the negative **** they hear on Melger and Mazz. They should turn that **** off. There's a lot of negative Nancies here. Too bad, really. It could be fun to see how this goes, post-Bill. The whole 'weaponization' thing that Wolf talked about should be fun to watch them compile it, but too many guys want to whine and *****.
also douchebag jones on eei fancies himself as a mini felcher so most of sports talk radio in boston is rotten to the core.

How do you know it was only a "couple million bucks" were you at the negotiations? You know he only asked for that? The transition tag is better for the player if he wants offers then the franchise tag
A couple of million bucks is the difference between the transition tag and the franchise tag, that's why the transition tag is only used about once every 2 years by franchises in the NFL.

If you don't want to match now you get nothing all to save a few million and you could lose Onwenu in the process, what difference does a few million make when you've got over 100m.

It's a cheap move by a cheap owner.

There's literally zero reason to use the transition tag over the franchise tag other than being cheap that's why it's been used 5 times in 10 years.

How long do teams have to make an offer on a transitioned tagged player?

Until they sign the tender or six days before the draft, whichever comes first.

I know if he’s signed, sealed, and delivered I will be very pleased because I still believe we need a solid OT *much* more than a safety. And I’ll bet Messrs Maye & Daniels agree with me!
You're right, I'm sure Wolfe and Mayo have a plan for tackles. They're not going to put a qb Rookie #3 pick behind an OL like we had last year.

A couple of million bucks is the difference between the transition tag and the franchise tag, that's why the transition tag is only used about once every 2 years by franchises in the NFL.

If you don't want to match now you get nothing all to save a few million and you could lose Onwenu in the process, what difference does a few million make when you've got over 100m.

There's literally zero reason to use the transition tag over the franchise tag other than being cheap that's why it's been used 5 times in 10 years

There's literally zero reason to use the transition tag over the franchise tag other than being cheap that's why it's been used 5 times in 10 years.

Of course there is a reason to use it. It is TOO MATCH. Players are not going to get offers with the franchise tag because teams are not going to give up 2 firsts. But the transition tag sets a price that allows the player to explore and the team to know the value.

Too many posters parrot the negative **** they hear on Melger and Mazz. They should turn that **** off. There's a lot of negative Nancies here. Too bad, really. It could be fun to see how this goes, post-Bill. The whole 'weaponization' thing that Wolf talked about should be fun to watch them compile it, but too many guys want to whine and *****.
For the record, I hate sports radio. I also don’t like this move at all and didn’t from the moment learned about it - in this thread.

I doubt Dugger’s going to get much attention with teams knowing the Pats can easily match. My understanding is that players don’t much like the franchise tag, and hate the transition tag.

My gut reaction to reading this was that it does nothing to elevate the Patriots as a destination. Evans didn’t want to come here, nor does Mayfield, according to today’s reporting.

You don’t change that kind of perception with moves like this, especially when you’ve got gobs to burn, by contract, over the next two years.

Like I said, it was a gut reaction. If they have a great FA period and come to terms with Dugger, I’ll be glad to be wrong.

Right now, they’re way behind the curve.

Oh, and PS, I have the well-earned reputation of being one of the biggest homers here.

Of course there is a reason to use it. It is TOO MATCH. Players are not going to get offers with the franchise tag because teams are not going to give up 2 firsts. But the transition tag sets a price that allows the player to explore and the team to know the value.
Born out of you being too cheap just to sign your player to a fair market deal like every other franchise in the NFL does.

The Patriots love to think they are smarter than everyone else as the franchise plummets into the dregs of the league, we'll use the tag that's almost never used because we're smarter than you.

We'll let someone else decide what you're worth because we're smarter than the rest of the league, always nickel and diming players and busting their balls over every cent.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back