PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Official Unofficial 53-Man Roster: Pre-Season Edition

He didn't disagree with "drafting QBs"... Just with drafting Zappy with a 4th-rounder that could've been better-used at another position.
Said other needs, etc. Whatever. I don't agree with him anyway

Given the current state of their roster, keeping 3 quarterbacks, two of which are essentially useless, is really bad personnel management (which really start with even drafting a quarterback in the 4th round).

Why would anyone claim him? From what we've seen for far, what could he possibly offer on a 53-man NFL roster? These comparisons to Brees are completely Ludacris. Just a reminder... Brees had a 20-year NFL career with 571 TDs and 80,000 passing yards.

I keep seeing Slater listed in the WR group. You may as well list him with the DTs, because he not seeing any snaps there either. Seriously, if Slater is preventing a potentially contributing WR from making the roster then he (Slater) needs to be cut.

Asiasi is not an NFL caliber TE. It's a wonder what Belichick saw in this guy. That 2020 draft keeps getting worse.
We all know he’s not a WR. Also, who is Slater potentially holding back? Also, he’s listed for many in the WR group because that is where he defaults with Pats picker.

Did you watch our STs last year?

They need all the f***king help they can get.

They can start with their STC... That's what I ass-umed would happen when Joey Judge returned, silly me... Their STs captain missing fewer tackles would help too... If they wanna do a straight 1-for-1 swap of Schooler for Cody Davis, then yeah like whatever, save some bucks too... but he alone ain't the cure what ails us there; and neither is even more of these slappies...

They can start with their STC... That's what I ass-umed would happen when Joey Judge returned... Their STs captain missing fewer tackles would help too... If they wanna do a straight 1-for-1 swap of Schooler for Cody Davis, then yeah like whatever, save some bucks too... but he alone ain't the cure what ails us there; and neither is even more of these slappies.
Big assumption there on the root cause and the solution.

You obviously have not been following the Patriots this summer as two of those players are LaBryan Ray and Demarcus Mitchell.
Whatever Bill says is ok with me.

Basically you think Zappe sucks and you don't agree with drafting Qbs.

We have nothing to discuss.
I disagree with drafting a high to mid round quarterback when you have your franchise quarterback for the next decade and you have several other far more pressing needs on your team. And yes Zappe sucks right now and I don't see much potential. But ultimately I defer to Bill.

Right, because we certainly haven't had any really impactful UDFA over the years such as:

Malcolm Butler
JC Jackson
Jonathan Jones
David Andrews
Randall Gay
Brandon Bolden
Adam Butler
Jacoby Meyers
Jacob Johnson
Gunner Olzewski
Malcolm Butler was good but the last we saw of him in a Patriots uniform he wasn't good enough for snaps over Jordan Richards.
J.C. Jackson will be sorely missed.
Jonathan Jones will make the above reality.
David Andrews, good player.
Randall Gay, at least you're sticking with the same century.
Adam Butler, this isn't exactly a who's who list here.
Jacoby Meyers would be a good bottom of the depth chart WR. I'm pretty sure he would be cut by Buffalo.
Jakob Johnson will certainly be remember for his contributions to that golden Patriots era of 2019-2021.
Gunner Olszewski I think was expected to contribute as a slot receiver at some point... in the mold of Welker, Amendola and Edelman. Never even close.

“What happens if Mac gets injured? What are you gonna do then, Bill? Huh?!
Bill knows best. However, I can't imagine the absolute train wreck of Matt Patricia calling plays into Bailey Zappe.

Whatever Bill says is ok with me.

I disagree with drafting a high to mid round quarterback when you have your franchise quarterback for the next decade and you have several other far more pressing needs on your team. And yes Zappe sucks right now and I don't see much potential. But ultimately I defer to Bill.

Malcolm Butler was good but the last we saw of him in a Patriots uniform he wasn't good enough for snaps over Jordan Richards.
Jacoby Meyers would be a good bottom of the depth chart WR. I'm pretty sure he would be cut by Buffalo.
Jakob Johnson will certainly be remember for his contributions to that golden Patriots era of 2019-2021.
Gunner Olszewski I think was expected to contribute as a slot receiver at some point... in the mold of Welker, Amendola and Edelman. Never even close.

Bill knows best. However, I can't imagine the absolute train wreck of Matt Patricia calling plays into Bailey Zappe.
You are a lot more convinced Mac is the franchise QB than I am.

Let's see how he does this year and in the playoffs first.

You are a lot more convinced Mac is the franchise QB than I am.

Let's see how he does this year and in the playoffs first.
I'm pretty sure Bill thinks Mac is THE guy... in part because what choice does he have at this point? He took Mac in the 1st round and he's 70. He's not resetting his QB1 anytime soon or ever again... he doesn't have the time. It's win or go home to Nantucket with his tail between his legs.

My personal opinion of Mac is he's a good quarterback who will never be elite... the high floor low ceiling bit. He won't win a Super Bowl with the current team around him. He probably needs a true #1 receiver and better depth at TE (I'm not expecting anything out of Jonnu). The o-line is questionable and he has the disadvantage of Patricia in one ear and Judge in the other. And then there's the defense.

The duo of Harris and Stevenson at RB is very solid. And I do like their WRs collectively, I just don't think there's a true #1.

Back to the backup quarterback, whoever it is, from the current options, they're screwed if Mac gets injured. But I think Hoyer could be competent for 2-3 games (maybe depending on the opponents). Zappe doesn't look like he would have any chance of winning a game. Although they probably could beat Detroit with Zappe throwing left-handed. And the Jets, however Zappe may need his right arm in that one.

I can't look at these "notes' and think you're arguing in good faith, nor does it seem worth my time. Suffice to say, I think your analytical compass is skewed.

I can't look at these "notes' and think you're arguing in good faith, nor does it seem worth my time. Suffice to say, I think your analytical compass is skewed.
Are you disagreeing with anything I said?

Right, because we certainly haven't had any really impactful UDFA over the years such as:

Malcolm Butler
JC Jackson
Jonathan Jones
David Andrews
Randall Gay
Brandon Bolden
Adam Butler
Jacoby Meyers
Jacob Johnson
Gunner Olzewski
When it comes to the Patriot front office one can have differing opinions about their drafting success. Some (like me) think that it is quite good given that they were drafting near the end of each round for almost a couple of decades until the last couple of years. Others disagree, and that is a valid difference of opinion that can be argued.

What is more difficult to argue is that the Patriots haven't been amazingly successful at developing UDFAs into productive players, it is really quite remarkable. Perhaps it is talent evaluation, or perhaps the Patriots are an attractive UDFA location because of BB's reputation of valuing on-field production instead of drafting pedigree. Other front offices don't want to be embarrassed by cutting or demoting a highly drafted prospect in favor of a UDFA that produces on the field. Apart from giving his draft choices a couple of years to develop, BB will cut bait on his draft failures faster than most front offices if an UDFA is performing better.

Are you disagreeing with anything I said?

I disagree with dismissing Malcolm Butler as an example of UDFA success because of SB52.
I disagree with dismissing Jonathan Jones contributions to multiple Super Bowls, just because he's not as good as JC Jackson.
I disagree that Adam Butler shouldn't count, as this was never about counting UDFA pro bowlers, just about people who made contributions to more than ST (which Butler did)
I disagree that Meyers is a bottom of the depth chart WR when he's led the team in reception the last two years and has increased his numbers every year in the league.
I disagree with dismissing Jacob Johnson as a solid FB just because the team only had mild success rather than historic success.
and I disagree that Gunner ONLY being a pro bowl return man suddenly means he's not an UDFA success.

So yeah, I disagree with almost everything you said. And to be honest? Starting your rebuttal with a downplay of Malcolm Butler says a lot about the angle you're coming from. Hence analytical compass = skewed.

When it comes to the Patriot front office one can have differing opinions about their drafting success. Some (like me) think that it is quite good given that they were drafting near the end of each round for almost a couple of decades until the last couple of years. Others disagree, and that is a valid difference of opinion that can be argued.

What is more difficult to argue is that the Patriots haven't been amazingly successful at developing UDFAs into productive players, it is really quite remarkable. Perhaps it is talent evaluation, or perhaps the Patriots are an attractive UDFA location because of BB's reputation of valuing on-field production instead of drafting pedigree. Other front offices don't want to be embarrassed by cutting or demoting a highly drafted prospect in favor of a UDFA that produces on the field. Apart from giving his draft choices a couple of years to develop, BB will cut bait on his draft failures faster than most front offices if an UDFA is performing better.

I think it's a combination of a lot of things, honestly. I think the Patriots were a hot destination for a lot of years, which probably skewed a few guys here who might have been on the fence. I also think your point of how they evaluate players in camp is true. Jacoby Meyers outplayed N'Keal Harry and got more opportunities to show his skill as a result, for example. I also think that the emphasis Bill places on ST gives these guys an avenue to playing time they might not have gotten otherwise, which buys them time to develop into more than that.

It is a very interesting year. I do not think anyone knows what will happen with the 53. Obviously we are more "future oriented" than "present oriented", and we have a lot of great rookies and udfas. Lots to happen I think.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back