PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Official Unofficial 53-Man Roster: Pre-Season Edition

Cap, that's a bit scary. Of course, I am comparing to your opinion of Belichick's 53.

OFFENSE
Nitpick: I wouldn't put K Harris on the 53. On Tuesday afternoon, I would add back Harris or Taylor, plus a new veteran OG.

DEFENSE
I have Anderson as a 3rd DE, essentially taking the roster spot freed up by K Harris not making the 53.
I'm fine with Schooler beating out Davis, but I have Davis.\\

MCMILLAN
will be on the team by WED. The roster spot will be there. Perhaps, Cordona won't be in the 53, and will be re-signed to an extension.
I've said it probably twenty times already, but the last 3-4 cuts are going to be very difficult. At this point, I don't see Anderson making the team. I think Ray is ahead of him as is Carl Davis, not sure about Sam Roberts, but I'd rather go young with potential!!

Agree on K Harris.

It's Hoyer's contract, they can't cut him like last year and then re-sign him, because it will be a 3 mil cap hit and dead money (plus another mil or so to re-sign him). That is what made the Zappe pick so infuriating, they either have to waste a roster spot on him or watch him get picked up off waivers. Again, bad team building!!

The team decided to keep three QB's the moment they drafted Zappe, and probably long before.

Remember, covid is still in the background, and who knows what else.

The league made provisions for keeping additional players through the practice squad elevation, and I expect the Patriots to make full use of it to soften the blow of having three QB's on the roster.

I've said it probably twenty times already, but the last 3-4 cuts are going to be very difficult. At this point, I don't see Anderson making the team. I think Ray is ahead of him as is Carl Davis, not sure about Sam Roberts, but I'd rather go young with potential!!

Agree on K Harris.
Montgomery seems to be okay. Probably just go with Dame, Mondre, Montgomery, and Strong (barring Strong being redshirted).

Montgomery seems to be okay. Probably just go with Dame, Mondre, Montgomery, and Strong (barring Strong being redshirted).
Yeah, if he is going to be out for a long stretch, I'd probably add JJ to roster, but then, that could take away from another position. These next two days are the busiest in terms of transactions of the NFL year. Should be interesting!!

Good article by the Boston Globe on 4 Undrafted rookies that have a good chance to make the team: For those of you that don't want to read the whole article they are Ray and Schooler with a really good chance and Mitchell and Russey with a chance.

A reminder Belichick has never released a fourth-round player (or higher) before his rookie season.
Not sure if this is true. 2007, he cut Garret Mills, a 4th round TE who got claimed by the Vikings, IIRC

Agree on K Harris.
Go young with potential, stop accepting mediocrity, give me Ray, Roberts, Mitchell. That's what I've been saying.

I like the way you think!!!;)
You like the way he thinks until the young guys aren't as good as the veterans and the team loses a close game because the D-line sucks, because we got rid of the veterans.

Posters on here love the new and shiny things until they are here for a year then they want the next new and shiny thing.

It is like posters here think that Bill intentionally keeps crappy veterans and gets rid of the next superstar rookie, when time and time again, the rookie binky everyone wants to keep gets cut and either ends up on the practice squad or working at Dunkin.

You like the way he thinks until the young guys aren't as good as the veterans and the team loses a close game because the D-line sucks, because we got rid of the veterans.

Posters on here love the new and shiny things until they are here for a year then they want the next new and shiny thing.
I was comparing Ray and Roberts to Anderson, not to Barmore, Guy or Wise. Anderson hasn't shown me anything since he's gotten here. If you want him though, that's your right. Not me though.

Most talk about a 53-man roster, but for the first two games it's essentially 57, and for game 3 it's 56. Ekuale is suspended for two games, so he's a backup D-line player, potentially changing how many they initially keep there. The other three slots come from veterans not subject to waivers that they can stash on the PS and elevate up to three times - players like Hoyer.

At some point we will have the traditional squabble about just how many special-teams-only players Bill will keep.

I'm pretty confident their going to take 3 qbs into the season.
Given the current state of their roster, keeping 3 quarterbacks, two of which are essentially useless, is really bad personnel management (which really start with even drafting a quarterback in the 4th round).

You think no one will claim Zappe?
Why would anyone claim him? From what we've seen for far, what could he possibly offer on a 53-man NFL roster? These comparisons to Brees are completely Ludacris. Just a reminder... Brees had a 20-year NFL career with 571 TDs and 80,000 passing yards.

WR (7) N.Agholor, D.Parker, J.Meyers, K.Bourne, T.Thornton, L.Humphrey, M.Slater
I keep seeing Slater listed in the WR group. You may as well list him with the DTs, because he not seeing any snaps there either. Seriously, if Slater is preventing a potentially contributing WR from making the roster then he (Slater) needs to be cut.

I agree with Humphrey over Nixon. I'm 50/50 on Asiasi.
Asiasi is not an NFL caliber TE. It's a wonder what Belichick saw in this guy. That 2020 draft keeps getting worse.

Why would anyone claim him? From what we've seen for far, what could he possibly offer on a 53-man NFL roster? These comparisons to Brees are completely Ludacris. Just a reminder... Brees had a 20-year NFL career with 571 TDs and 80,000 passing yards.
Hes was the 4th qb taken. Dumping a 4th rd pick after 1 camp and 3 preseason games is stupid.

Sorry if this was previously posted but Anderson? I'm liking Ja Jones, Sherman and Strange on there. Per PFF. I do admit Anderson has played "ok" in camp and pre-season but my fear is that will translate to a spot on the 53...I prefer a younger / faster DL.

1661784379883.png

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back