PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots offense sees 'light at the end of the tunnel'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to figure out exactly how much Tom Brady is to blame for the offensive woes. I think the key can be found in the overall drop-off in the running game.

If it were just Brady then the running game should be able to perform at or near the same level as last year. Instead, both the running and passing games are down about 10% from last year. That's in spite of playing an easier schedule this year than last.

So what's the reason? The answer to me is obvious when I look at the differences on the roster from this year to last. This year they're playing without contributions from LT, C, TE and FB.

And yet, the Pats are 10-3 with their only losses being to playoff teams and with two of those on the road. They also made a run to come back in two of the losses. If anything we should be giving Brady and Belichick awards for getting the team to this point.

Not out of the realm of possibility. To put it simple, if they get the first round bye all they have to do is win 2 games to make it to the superbowl. Two outstanding game plans and a little execution could go a long way.

I've been trying to figure out exactly how much Tom Brady is to blame for the offensive woes. I think the key can be found in the overall drop-off in the running game.

If it were just Brady then the running game should be able to perform at or near the same level as last year. Instead, both the running and passing games are down about 10% from last year. That's in spite of playing an easier schedule this year than last.

So what's the reason? The answer to me is obvious when I look at the differences on the roster from this year to last. This year they're playing without contributions from LT, C, TE and FB.

And yet, the Pats are 10-3 with their only losses being to playoff teams and with two of those on the road. They also made a run to come back in two of the losses. If anything we should be giving Brady and Belichick awards for getting the team to this point.

No doubt that play action isn’t respected in the least. They are just ignoring the rb’s on the fakes and going straight at Brady. Even the Chiefs who are god awful at stopping the run were able to squash it and put a lot of pressure in the first half.

Hoping they build the rest of the season off of that 2nd half KC game where the Patriots actually resembled an offense. If they do things could change quick.

Not out of the realm of possibility. To put it simple, if they get the first round bye all they have to do is win 2 games to make it to the superbowl. Two outstanding game plans and a little execution could go a long way.

Unfortunately, the bye is still up for grabs. Had the KC game not been stolen the Pats would be in the hunt for the top seed, but now they can't afford a loss in the last 3 games or they could lose the bye and more.

I don't see KC losing at home to Denver or the Bolts or to the Bears on the road. It could happen but it's not likely.

When this disgrace of an offense sees a "light at the end of the tunnel" it's from an on-coming locomotive called Reality.

At the end of the day, as the offensive line plays better, so does Brady!

but the lack of receivers and tight ends is holding us back.

The best development out of this frustrating season is that Harry looks like he’s going to be a stud.

That light at the end of a tunnel turned out to be a freight train.

I am sorry it's so true. Jealousy and insecurity, while pointing out Brady does not get to skate, is a bad ad combo for the Apologist crowd in their Brady jerseys.

We’ve seen it for years. Brady is not above reproach and BB has to battle to make sure that stays true.

Newhouse is not playing anymore so you can’t just keep pulling the covers over your head ignoring the real problems (not using the rbs and 2 back sets enough, staring down Edelman in obvious double coverage, bad and late decisions, reckless throws and unwilling to move his feet in the pocket).

You know, the usual bad habits he has when this stuff bubbles up in a season.

Because it is not new.
Time for new glasses for you?

Honestly, all this handwringing over the "deeper" elements of the game - Brady's trust in his young receivers, their ability to anticipate what he's thinking, the lack of cohesion along the O-line, Josh's gameplanning, the talent/experience at the skill positions, etc. - is all well and fine. But, for probably the last month and a half, the combination of dropped passes and missing open throws is responsible for probably some 7-8 incompletions a game. Those stat lines would look a lot different provided, if nothing else, simply the execution of throwing and catching a ball was better. (I suspect much of this may depend on the health of Brady's elbow and Edelman's knee.)

Here’s another one. Could not be any more insecure as he refuses to have a simple discussion.

Anger with every keystroke and 4 word mumbo jumbo response. lmao

Lmao, people who come in here lecturing everyone and spouting their expertise and insider knowledge have fared really well over the years. Keep it up.

Didnt realize until yesterday that Pat's had #1 most drops in the league. You clear alot of those up and the offense looks much better.

I like that they are trying to get harry involved. He clearly is a talented playmaker and they need to find ways to get him the ball

The "O" will not find greatness in the next couple weeks and they don't have to. All they really need to do is find a way NOT to suck. Or they're watching TV with the rest of us in January.

Newhouse is not playing anymore...? I swear I saw him on the field yesterday.

The "Stephenson Experience" is not one of my favorite experiences.

Lmao, people who come in here lecturing everyone and spouting their expertise and insider knowledge have fared really well over the years. Keep it up.

I don't claim I have insider knowledge. I am just a a fan of the team and enjoy the ride of the season on its own two feet.

I am just not some obnoxious Brady Apologist that acts like Brady never does anything wrong and craps gold bricks onto their driveway for them. It's embarrassing. Pats Haters make fun of people like you outside of NE. I just shake my head and let people know that not all fans are crazy Brady obsessed to the point of delusion.

Honestly, all this handwringing over the "deeper" elements of the game - Brady's trust in his young receivers, their ability to anticipate what he's thinking, the lack of cohesion along the O-line, Josh's gameplanning, the talent/experience at the skill positions, etc. - is all well and fine. But, for probably the last month and a half, the combination of dropped passes and missing open throws is responsible for probably some 7-8 incompletions a game. Those stat lines would look a lot different provided, if nothing else, simply the execution of throwing and catching a ball was better. (I suspect much of this may depend on the health of Brady's elbow and Edelman's knee.)

Right, I feel it is all connected as well, but you just have to bet it's going to be solved. I think the playcalling, the efficiency, etc, a quicker, cleaner start, is tied to this stuff. The drops are guys pressing and/or not being involved enough or simply not the best Brady throws, too.

If Brady and Edelman can't even be on the same page, what does that tell you? Tells me the discombobulation is real, a combo of things, but also fixable.

They did it last year.

To me, it's always the same. Attitude, roll up the sleeves, consistent effort with the run game and being as diverse as possible with playcalling/personnel usage, but not to the point of subbing RBs on and off to run certain plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back