PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots offense sees 'light at the end of the tunnel'

Status
Not open for further replies.
When bringing up Michel on the LB as the mismatch to exploit there’s just one problem...Michels inability to catch the football.

It’s so obvious that Brady is injured; not sure why Occam’s razor doesn’t work here. Are there some big problems with protection and the skill players? Yes. Does that explain why an offense that historically finishes in the top 10, even under the worst circumstances (injuries/lack of talent) is now arguably the very worst offense in the league since around week 4?

The guy is probably the most skilled athlete I’ve ever seen at concealing pain and injuries. He’s played through so many in the past that you only found out about after the season. He frequently lies to the media and says he isn’t injured seriously when he is (like when he said his knee was fine last year after that stupid receiving play.). He doesn’t even grimace; he gets concussed and avoids showing any signs of it. So when he shows up at a presser with his elbow wrapped with like 20 layers of athletic tape, there’s probably a reason for that. Yes, a bad injury to the right elbow of a quarterback is going to effect his play.

All of these things are correct. Receivers aren’t getting a lot of separation, are running the wrong routes, dropping passes, the offensive line is struggling, the running game is struggling, etc., but football is also a sport where there are domino effects. Example, when teams aren’t afraid the QB will slice them up, they’ll focus more on the run. When teams can see a QB/WR corps aren’t communicating well they are going to blitz more. At the heart of this, I think Brady’s injury is most responsible for the offensive problems, and hopefully it heals up and we see very different results. Suddenly this “lack of separation” will be enough separation after all, the pass rush won’t be so effective (since he’s being beaten by his inaccuracy and hesitance to throw into tight windows), and the newer guys like Sanu, Meyes, and Harry may get some momentum going. It can change fast. Brady seemed to indicate in his comments this week that things are about to change. I take that to mean he’s finally healthy enough to be Brady again and carry an offense, like he’s done throughout his career.

Oh god. Now the injury excuse. If that's true, why is he trying to throw 40+ times per game while ignoring using the run game with RBs benched or even Inactive?

You people come up with the same things every year on the Excuse Rolodex.

"no deep threat"

"no separation"

"Brady hurt"

"our RBs suck"

"O Line Sucks"

"BB sucks as a GM"

Rinse and repeat.

The anti-BB media, led by some moron like Bedard does this, as a way to take shots at BB, as Brady somehow goes unchecked after skipping OTAs and being half interested in putting the time in with the personnel.

And then, that narrative gets repeated over and over to the point even our fans buy into it.

Why would you need an excuse for the greatest career in NFL history? Are you on something?

When bringing up Michel on the LB as the mismatch to exploit there’s just one problem...Michels inability to catch the football.

HE caught it last week. How do we even know if it can be something? It's not something Brady makes an effort to use. That's the point. Keep going back to it, preferably out of a 2 back set, and I'd bet money you'd see results.

Why did Michel catch balls at Georgia? How hard is it to throw a ball 10 yards into the flat and have a pro athlete catch it?

He caught 26 balls as a sophmore and 22 as a Junior in college. Enough already. I am not saying he is going to be Marshall Faulk or LaDanian Tomlinson here. I am just looking for the strength (the backs) to be used all in the same way to increase better deception, dictating to the D more.

Why would you need an excuse for the greatest career in NFL history? Are you on something?

Brady wasn't playing well last year or this year until the commitment to the run. Do you watch the games or just listen to Brady Homers see things they don't see and believe it?

Have you seen his stats this year?

Of course he is the greatest of all time, but what does that have to do with now?

Are you on something? You are not a real fan of the team if you find McDaniels, Brady and the entire offense playing up to their capability.

Last edited by a moderator:
HE caught it last week. How do we even know if it can be something? It's not something Brady makes an effort to use. That's the point. Keep going back to it, preferably out of a 2 back set, and I'd bet money you'd see results.

He caught 26 balls as a sophmore and 22 as a Junior in college. Enough already. I am not saying he is going to be Marshall Faulk or LaDanian Tomlinson here. I am just looking for the strength (the backs) to be used all in the same way to increase better deception, dictating to the D more.

Why did Michel catch balls at Georgia? How hard is it to throw a ball 10 yards into the flat and have a pro athlete catch it?

I’m just saying if you want to use 2 pass catching backs Rex and Bolden would be a better options to go with White. I’ve seen enough of Sony to know that he doesn’t look comfortable catching out of the backfield.

Brady wasn't playing well last year or this year until the commitment to the run. Do you watch the games or just listen to Brady Homers see things they don't see and believe it?

Of course he is the greatest of all time, but what does that have to do with now?abil

Are you on something? You are not a real fan of the team if you find McDaniels, Brady and the entire offense playing up to their capability.

I am for whatever combos they want to use. Preferably, I see it something like this. I just think if you have fresh bodies, used the same way, the D cannot detect preferences. So, you'd have like a Burkhead/Bolden duo in the second half, for example, and you're not over-using the Michel/White duo or the base package of Michel/Roberts to establish the run game in some way by the 2nd qtr to get to playaction.

All I see if Brady dropping back over and over with the real intent of looking for Edelman and hopes he is open. By the time, Brady does choose to use the progressions, it's too late. The clock is all off. He needs to have the clock be on time based on the pay he is calling. In other words, it's not matching up with one another, because the Ds are dictating to our offense by playing man, putting a nickel on WHite, and then just sitting in the middle with the LBs.

I also have a sneaking suspicion, as we've seen in recent years, the DBs are mauling our WRs. This would explain how Sanu arrives here and all of a sudden struggles to separate or how strong, young WRs like Harry and Meyers apparently cannot. I am just not buying all these coincidences.

Something like this:

Package 1 : Michel/Roberts (FB)

Package 2: Michel/White (3rd down package) 0r just White as the lone setback and Dorsett in the slot.

Package 3: Burkhead/Bolden (2nd grouping to be used in the same way as above, but a second grouping with the idea to keep the RBs fresh throughout the game)

On 1st and 2nd downs, it should be RB group option 1 until the run game is fully established.

Goal #1: Involve ALL RBs in the 1st qtr. Run once with each and pass once to each. Make them a designed 1st read to each player.

Goal #2: Involve all WRs as best as possible along with 1 target to LaCosse.

Goal #3 Involve Harry and Meyers as designed 1st reads when Sanu needs a breather (or Edelman for that matter), and use Dorsett in the slot on 3rd downs. The latter can be used to "stretch the field" as we saw numerous times on Sunday as he had his man beaten so badly, he created two PI calls, except Goodell cheated on the last one, as we saw.

Goal #4 IN the red zone, target Harry as a 1st read like you did vs Dallas, assuming it's man coverage. Make him an actual weapon because you know, he was on everyone's draft board as a 1st rd pick, is big and athletic. Duh.

Goal #5 Do not sub the backs in and out unless your subbing out 2 at a time for a breather. Use the backs in the EXACT same way (both with running and passing to them).

If the offense actually tries to do these things, the run game WILL come, playaction is there, Brady is better and the OL looks better than it is.*

*DO all of this regardless of the score, and accomplish this by the end of the 2nd drive.

When it's man and you don't like the look in terms of a match up, run it. If it's zone and you know it's zone, throw it. If you use the 2 RBs and use them in both the run and pass, and don't sub for the back to run a specific play, just keep the same RBs out there and keep the concepts the same.

I've said this almost ever year, but in other years there may have been an excuse due to health or personnel at RB, but that's not the case here. This isn't 2013 or 2015.

They asked what their strength was last year and turned it on. Well, THIS (RB group and their skill set) IS your strength this year, but you just won't use it.

Did you just reply to your own quote?

I am just not going to lie about it and say he's playing well, when he isn't. Adults admit flaws and try to address them.

Calling me names over and over and deflecting from this can't change that. Your angry typing almost screams you know it's true and hate admitting it.

You'd think if you had a 42 year old QB, he wouldn't be constantly pumping the idea of playing until 45 all the time and Guerrero going on some radio interview recently saying "47".

You'd think it would be "we better protect our older QB with a run game and good, balanced playcalling".

When that happens consistently or is even remotely attempted, then you won't see me pointing out how dumb it is that it's not even being attempted week to week.

Also, how does the team make 8 straight conf title games if BB sucks as a GM? Have you Ensteins ever figured that one out?

Listen to yourselves. The TEAM is 10-3, mainly by the D and STs, yet you want to pretend Brady can't be better leading an underachieving offense.

It's pretty clear to anyone following the team, the offense has underachieved due to a very obvious reason, and that's Brady being a snob again. Again, we've seen it before and it lost us 2 SBs in 2007 and 2011, too.

They have 3 games like last year to get it right, but if they sub the RBs in and out to tell the D what play is coming, it won't work.

Also, how does the team make 8 straight conf title games if BB sucks as a GM? Have you Ensteins ever figured that one out?

Listen to yourselves. The TEAM is 10-3, mainly by the D and STs, yet you want to pretend Brady can't be better leading an underachieving offense.

It's pretty clear to anyone following the team, the offense has underachieved due to a very obvious reason, and that's Brady being a snob again. Again, we've seen it before and it lost us 2 SBs in 2007 and 2011, too.

They have 3 games like last year to get it right, but if they sub the RBs in and out to tell the D what play is coming, it won't work.
It's been 9 straight AFCCG ;) While I agree TB can and hopefully will play better, I do not blame him entirely for the offense being in quicksand. Everyone can play better the Oline can be better, receivers can get open a second earlier, and the playcalling shouldn't abandon the run so quickly.

Please ban this obvious troll.

It's been 9 straight AFCCG ;) While I agree TB can and hopefully will play better, I do not blame him entirely for the offense being in quicksand. Everyone can play better the Oline can be better, receivers can get open a second earlier, and the playcalling shouldn't abandon the run so quickly.

I am not blaming. I am asking him to be better along with the entire offense. If you know teams will double Edelman and throw a nickel on White, you can use that to mess with the D.

Regardless of what John Whinebaiugh claims about "deception" being illegal, it's not. A lot of the execution comes from how a play is set up and how plays are strung together to get a positive result

At the very least, more 2 back sets in the middle of the field on drives, using those RBs the same ways (running inside and out, pass receiving, maybe a decoy, and blocking), will give the D a lot to think about as opposed to what they've been doing recently.

Your college education is failing you.

Of course he is the greatest of all time, but what does that have to do with now?

In complete honesty I have to tell you that you have some of the worst football insights of anyone who posts on this board. You should use your time here to learn from people who understand the game rather than making ignorant comments and fighting with people who correct you.

In complete honesty I have to tell you that you have some of the worst football insights of anyone who posts on this board. You should use your time here to learn from people who understand the game rather than making ignorant comments and fighting with people who correct you.

Tell you what: If they do what I wanted last year, we saw it, they won a SB over it, and they can do it again this year, by using some of these ideas, you can come back and admit you were wrong.

I've seen zero insights from you, probably because you're afraid to counter mine (which is fine). It's just funny your insecurity shows right through, instead of explaining why my ideas are so bad.

If you think Brady craps gold and believe the anti-BB rhetoric from the media, yeah, my insights will absolutely go right over your head. You're not even willing to see it in the first place, because all is well and Brady is doing a fantastic job with McDaniels running this offense.

Guess who agrees with you? Rex Ryan.

Nuff said.

Tell you what: If they do what I wanted last year, we saw it, they won a SB over it, and they can do it again this year, by using some of these ideas, you can come back and admit you were wrong.

I've seen zero insights from you, probably because you're afraid to counter mine (which is fine). It's just funny your insecurity shows right through, instead of explaining why my ideas are so bad.

If you think Brady craps gold and believe the anti-BB rhetoric from the media, yeah, my insights will absolutely go right over your head. You're not even willing to see it in the first place, because all is well and Brady is doing a fantastic job with McDaniels running this offense.

Guess who agrees with you? Rex Ryan.

Nuff said.

Let me guess. University of Phoenix online.

As others have said, it really comes down to the offensive line. All the other elements have to work of course, the running backs, the quarterback, receivers, but none of that works without the line performing better.

As for the wide receiver comparisons between this year and last year, I would take Sanu and Harry over Hogan and Patterson. But the new guys have to start proving it.

It just occured to me why that Patriots offense has sucked and why there is light at the end of the tunnel. Weve been spying on the Bengals. No wonder we suck. Now that has been stopped I expect much improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes