PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Learn Today If They Get Gillislee, Close Door on Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Effectively, this trade ends up being a three-way trade:

NE gets Gillislee
BUF gets 165
DEN gets AJ Derby

I'm guessing BB wanted the guy 6 years younger with less wear and tear on him, especially when we don't see too many 32 year old RBs tearing up the league...

We don't see too many 6th round picks becoming the G.O.A.T., either. That really doesn't change my point.

Realizing the prowess of the GM, who has built a team that has competed for the SB every single year, and supporting his decision (which was based on seeing a full work out of AP a couple of weeks ago), as opposed to some guy on a football forum wanting to sign a guy based on name recognition alone. Yeah, true blind homerism there!
If Brady has a game where he goes 23-30 with 400 yards and 4 TDs, but overthrows Edelman for what what would've been a 5th TD, it is okay after the game to say, "man, that was a great game, but it could've been even better if he hadn't overthrown Edelman." That is just an objective observation, it doesn't diminish Brady's game.

That's how I see this offseason. This is a fantastic offseason, but it could've been even better. It's nitpicking. I'm not mad with out it turned out.

I would rather have Michael Bennett, Adrian Peterson, a 4th round pick, and a 6th round pick than Dwayne Allen, Mike Gillislee, and a 6th round pick.

So, yes, your post does sound like blind homerism. It sounds like you're insecure and that you're afraid to voice a dissenting opinion against something Belichick did, like you feel like you need to turn in your fan card if you admit it. Again, I think this offseason was spectacular, I'm just saying that it couldn't been even better. Belichick is not a prophet, he can not look into the future and see how things will play out. I'm just saying that in hindsight (a luxury BB did not have), this offseason could've been better better than it was.

Again, to be completely clear, I do not think that Allen or Gillislee are "bad" moves. They are both very good. I think AP at $3M and Bennett at what GB paid would've been superb moves. So, please, spare me the hollow, hackneyed, mindless "LOL, BB has more credentials than a couch potato like u" drivel.

For all we know AP's agent threw out loose parameters of what they were looking for and the Patriots didn't bother offering because it wasn't in the ballpark of what they were willing to pay.

Maybe AP's price dropped dramatically after another suitor bit the dust (i.e. Pats presumably acquiring Gillislee) and with the draft closing in (i.e. potential suitors might draft an RB, limiting his options even more).

I would for sure rather have AP at $3M than Gillislee at $4M + a 5th round pick. That's a complete no-brainer.

IDK, Peterson is the more accomplished runner, but he's 32, while Gillislee is 26. Also, Peterson seems to function best in a "one-back" offense, getting carries in the kind of volume that Blount had last year, which was fairly atypical for the Pats recently. Peterson has averaged about 300 carries a season in his 8 healthy years. Since Dillon's last big season in 2004, the Pats have run an RBBC all but two years, really, with the lead runner averaging around only around 175 carries.

Also, the Pat and the Bills both run primarily zone-blocking. I don't know what type of blocking scheme Peterson ran behind in Minny. If it was power/man/gap, he might not perform as well with the Pats.

So, Peterson for "$3M+" (according to media reports) versus Gillislee for $3.2M (APY for 2 years) seems kind of even-up to me.

If the Pats hadn't spent their 5th on Gillislee (3 years NFL experience), they probably would've spent it on an RB prospect who might've had to sit for a year before contributing much. So that part is at least a wash.

Hey now, in his first season this head coach improved his team's win total by *5* games due to big hugs:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/football-new-england-patriots-coach-****-macpherson-with-qb-scott-picture-id81340884

The guy on the left barely looks like he's aged over the last 26 years....
That's true. He looked old when he was fairly young and looks old now that he's old. He probably looked like a tough old no nonsense-taking curmudgeon when he was 11.

I like this move a lot. Basically traded a 5th round pick for the guy and paid him with the money saved on Amendola. I won't go as far as others and say he's an upgrade over Blount, my thoughts are he is quicker, younger and has less mileage.

There seems to be an concerted effort to get proven, "experienced youth" on the team such as Cooks and Gilmore; at times at the expense of older players, Gillislee/Burkhead over LGB (and possibly Adrian Peterson), Allen over Bennett, Ealy in effect replacing Long.

We don't see too many 6th round picks becoming the G.O.A.T., either. That really doesn't change my point.
Apples and oranges.... 2 running backs and BB chose the younger one. Who knows if it was the correct choice? IF AP gets the same number of yards as MG and Gillislee is under contract for year 2, he's right. If AP sets the world on fire, it will be the wrong one... Only time will tell...

I can't get a good bead on how good Gillislee is because all his highlights seem to be of him running through wide open holes

We'll see some more players flocking over after some cut downs by other teams trying to get under the cap. They'll be a Chris Long type one year rentals though.

If . . .

I would rather have Michael Bennett, Adrian Peterson, a 4th round pick, and a 6th round pick than Dwayne Allen, Mike Gillislee, and a 6th round pick.

. . ., this's offseason could've been better better than it was.

Again, to be completely clear, I do not think that Allen or Gillislee are "bad" moves. They are both very good. I think AP at $3M and Bennett at what GB paid would've been superb moves. So, please, spare me the hollow, hackneyed, mindless "LOL, BB has more credentials than a couch potato like u" drivel.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on Bennett,

but AP is a 1-year lease (rental car) of a 10-year old model hi-performance sports car with a clutch that could go at any time. Gillislee is a 2-year tryout of a 6-years younger stock sports car that was driven only on weekends. AP would make a great splash from Sep-Nov, MG will be plugging along for a couple years and if he works out- maybe longer. AP also might be a locker room prima donna wanting the ball who wouldn't fit in with BB's desired RBBC approach.

If Brady has a game where he goes 23-30 with 400 yards and 4 TDs, but overthrows Edelman for what what would've been a 5th TD, it is okay after the game to say, "man, that was a great game, but it could've been even better if he hadn't overthrown Edelman." That is just an objective observation, it doesn't diminish Brady's game.

That's how I see this offseason. This is a fantastic offseason, but it could've been even better. It's nitpicking. I'm not mad with out it turned out.

So, yes, your post does sound like blind homerism. It sounds like you're insecure and that you're afraid to voice a dissenting opinion against something Belichick did, like you feel like you need to turn in your fan card if you admit it. Again, I think this offseason was spectacular, I'm just saying that it couldn't been even better. Belichick is not a prophet, he can not look into the future and see how things will play out. I'm just saying that in hindsight (a luxury BB did not have), this offseason could've been better better than it was.

GodBrady,

Good post. Can't disagree with many of your points. Bennett and Peterson on paper might be better than Allen and Gilleslee. Either way, both would be very good moves for the Patriots.

I think for Belichick, as he's mentioned, he selects players he wants to coach, guys that fit, or are better fits than others.

Certainly, BB has made his share of mistakes over the years in the draft, and certain moves haven't worked out. But what you can't deny is the guy is relentless, always making moves, always trying to improve his team and in ways that sometimes defy logic. Who would have traded Collins to the Browns in mid-season for a 3rd round pick (just one example)?

Bottom line here, Patriots just won the Super Bowl and BB obviously realized the team needed to improve. And it has. By a lot.

Personally, I think this will be (assuming health of course) the most diverse, effective group of RBs Belichick has ever had. Gilleslee will be remarkable in this offense and the offense itself will rival the 2007 group.

We should all be rejoicing at the prospects and talent of the team Belichick has put together for this coming season -- and he's not done yet, either!

Last edited:
The baddest sharks always have prominent Gill slits.

Welcome aboard, Gill slits!

shark-anatomy-gills-1.jpg

but AP is a 1-year lease (rental car) of a 10-year old model hi-performance sports car with a clutch that could go at any time. Gillislee is a 2-year tryout of a 6-years younger stock sports car that was driven only on weekends. AP would make a great splash from Sep-Nov, MG will be plugging along for a couple years and if he works out- maybe longer. AP also might be a locker room prima donna wanting the ball who wouldn't fit in with BB's desired RBBC approach.

If we're going with "What if" and a car analogy, Gillislee could be a piece of **** beater that had a coat of paint splashed on it and maxed out in just a few miles of back roads driving.

Or, to put it another way:

In a world with no AdP child incident, and with Adp willing to play for the Patriots for 1 year at roughly what Gillispie will make per year for 2 years, do you really think there's any chance in hell that the Patriots wouldn't have signed AdP?

I'm guessing BB wanted the guy 6 years younger with less wear and tear on him, especially when we don't see too many 32 year old RBs tearing up the league...

So is BB worried about age or not??? :D

JK

AP - 1.9 ypc last year.

The front office isn't always perfect. They misread the market on Bennett too. If we had waited longer, we could've had Bennett at 3/$21M

This makes you look like an idiot.

Pats offered Bennett $7m per season before the season. He turned it down. They also likely offered him it again after the season and he turned it down again thinking he could get more on the market. Bennett misread his market. Belichick like usual was DEAD ON about a player's market. Bennett's pride and ego is why he wasn't re-signed not Belichick misreading the market.

@FourierSeries

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey