Patriots Learn Today If They Get Gillislee, Close Door on Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Learn Today If They Get Gillislee, Close Door on Blount

Steve Balestrieri

In the second meeting between the two teams in Buffalo had a very solid outing. He carried the ball 12 times for 85 yards and a touchdown.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I'm going to guess that Mike Reiss is wrong here (his "gut" says Buffalo matches). With the draft just a few days away, the Bills will want the extra draft pick.

The Bills look stupid (not that it matters) if they match. With a second round tender they could have had Gillislee a million cheaper and received a second round pick if he signed with another team. And the second rounder would have discouraged any suitors.

Never assume that the Bills know what they're doing. :)

Do you want to match or not?

"What if it's another Hogan situation?"

Do you need a backup RB or not?

"If McCoy gets injured and we don't have Gillislee....."

So you want to match?

"But that would be one expensive back up...."

So you don't want to match?

"Maybe we can delay the decision so at least it looks like we thought about it"

Have you even made a decision?

"Yes"

Well what is it??!!??

"We'll wait until Monday......that'll show them"

With both Gillislee and Burkhead on the roster, I'd be expecting to something closer to an RBBC this year than the way it worked out in 2016 with one guy at 300 carries (for only the 4th season in the BB Era, btw).

Pats RBs totaled a bit over 400 carries last season - probably about average for the Pats over the last several seasons. With two legit between-the-tackles capable RBs on the roster for 2017, we might see something closer to 450 total carries, breaking down to proportions something like ...

Gillislee, 175-200
Burkhead, 125-150
White and Lewis 50-60 each

If the Bills match and there's no Gillislee, I'd say that there's about a 60% chance that the Pats bring back Blount to share carries with Burkhead for 2017, and then wait until #200 or #239 to draft an RB (if at all), and about a 40% chance that they move on from Blount and draft an RB prospect with the #131 or #163.

Can't it also be a attempt by Buffalo to extract more in a trade from the Pats like throwing in a #6 for a Buffalo #7. similar to the Welker deal from Miami?

Never assume that the Bills know what they're doing. :)

Agree. For many years, ever since their 4-SB seasons and the K-gun offense went away, I've given serious thought that their ownership keeps that team around purely for tax benefits. They've had so many opportunities to draft solid players, and each and every time they've left their fan base (and everyone else) scratching their heads.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they match the offer, just so that they can crow to their fan base that they "showed" new England who was who, yadda yadda yadda, etc, etc, etc.

Can't it also be a attempt by Buffalo to extract more in a trade from the Pats like throwing in a #6 for a Buffalo #7. similar to the Welker deal from Miami?

Not on an RFA offer sheet deal. They're non-negotiable between teams.

In fact, if the Bills decide to match, they're prohibited from trading Gillislee to the Pats during the 2017 season. They can trade him elsewhere, but not to the Pats.

This is one of the reasons why the Saints never made a formal RFA offer sheet for Butler. As it stands, with no offer having been made (and matched), and with Butler having signed his tender, the Pats are still legally free to trade Butler to the Saints.

Agree. For many years, ever since their 4-SB seasons and the K-gun offense went away, I've given serious thought that their ownership keeps that team around purely for tax benefits. They've had so many opportunities to draft solid players, and each and every time they've left their fan base (and everyone else) scratching their heads.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they match the offer, just so that they can crow to their fan base that they "showed" new England who was who, yadda yadda yadda, etc, etc, etc.

The primary motivation for most owners is maintaining the revenue stream provided by the "fannies in the stadium seats" and those attached to people watching the commercial-filled broadcasts at home.

Although it's certain that, ego-wise, the owners all want to win, they don't really need to in order to accomplish their primary goal. All they need to do is keep hope alive by making their teams exciting to watch. This is why owners will often overrule their personnel professionals and select a more "dynamic" 1st rounder in preference to the relatively boring prospect who can actually help the team win.

Is the deadline 4 pm today for matching the Patriot offer???

If so, it's gonna be a long day :)

No. The only reason the Pats did that with Welker was to avoid putting a poison pill in the offer sheet; the Pats didn't want the LOLphins to retaliate later..

I don't feel bad for Blount. He was paid for his services and he experienced the type of success very few players get to know.

I think it's cool if we move on without him, but i am glad he was able to produce for this team.

Definitely hoping to get him. Assuming Bills match because they can. Kind of a win-win, though, either we get him or we get the Bills to take an additional $2M or so cap hit above what they would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back