PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Learn Today If They Get Gillislee, Close Door on Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB just spent a 5th round pick on a guy, when AdP was available for (allegedly) similar money and no draft loss. Let's hold off on the bouquets for a while.

Mike Gillislee hasn't beaten his son that he sees once in a blue moon.

This makes you look like an idiot.

Pats offered Bennett $7m per season before the season. He turned it down. They also likely offered him it again after the season and he turned it down again thinking he could get more on the market. Bennett misread his market. Belichick like usual was DEAD ON about a player's market. Bennett's pride and ego is why he wasn't re-signed not Belichick misreading the market.

I think he was referring to how quickly they signed Allen and should have instead waited for Bennett to exhaust his market but of course doing so would have risked losing both Allen and Bennett to the market.

@GodBrady

I think he was referring to how quickly they signed Allen and should have instead waited for Bennett to exhaust his market but of course doing so would have risked losing both Allen and Bennett to the market.

@GodBrady

Its not like Dwayne Allen is a downgrade either I expect him to have his best season this year

Its not like Dwayne Allen is a downgrade either I expect him to have his best season this year

Assuming he stays healthy.

Hopefully between he and Gronkowski we can get 19 games out of a #1 TE, and aren't in the position to rely on Matt Lengel very much.

But yeah, I agree, Allen should have a monster year this year if he can stay upright.

I think it's important that the Pats draft one of the TEs from a very deep, talented class. Both Gronk and Allen have injury issues.

This makes you look like an idiot.

Pats offered Bennett $7m per season before the season. He turned it down. They also likely offered him it again after the season and he turned it down again thinking he could get more on the market. Bennett misread his market. Belichick like usual was DEAD ON about a player's market. Bennett's pride and ego is why he wasn't re-signed not Belichick misreading the market.

@FourierSeries

Sorry, but I don't "look like an idiot". You're trying to play the ignorance card, and you failed, because I know full-well what the Patriots offered long before you "enlightened" me.

As Tony said, the Pats could've slow-played it and waited for the Bennett market to materialize. It's no different than what's happened with Adrian Peterson: he had unreasonable demands, no one caved, and thus his asking price came down. Bennett may have initially rejected the Pats offer, but if they had waited longer he very-well may have relented. If they were so confident that's all he was going to get, they would've just stood pat. I think they tried to get him to take a slight discount in exchange for circumventing free agency. Bennett and NE both got less than they expected he would imo.

Again, I have already conceded that Bill Belichick does not have a crystal ball. I am saying this stuff with the benefit of hindsight. I cannot state that enough. Slow-playing has its risks too. For example, had they waited Bennett out, it's totally possible that Bennett still signs with Green Bay (i.e. he prefers being a starter instead of TE2), and that Allen is traded elsewhere -- at that point, the Pats wind up with neither.

If the Patriots leave the draft with a edge rusher Jake Butt and Sidney Jones I'm doing cartwheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News