PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure of their thinking, and I an neither championing nor opposing the following, but I can picture this line of thought coming up in a discussion:

"We've got Gordon and Thomas as big receivers, as well as having Edelman, Dorsett and Meyers. We don't really have a natural role that needs to be filled right away..."

It's an enviable position yet comes with its own layer of complications: how to keep everyone that could be a solid contributor and/or used a high draft pick on this year. As we saw with Hoyer -- who IMHO was a perfect low cost backup for the Patriots - he had to go because the critical need of every roster spot(maybe Bill can let Hoyer use his Nantucket home and boat for the season to keep him on the shadow roster). So now it's on BB to use some smoke and mirrors to hold onto as many players as possible and let the season's natural attrition backfill process run its course. (or not! :))

Is it possible that the Pats floated Gunner’s name in the press as a cut in order to smoke out potential interest from other teams in terms of a 53 man spot elsewhere?

Although it technically may be tampering, I’m sure that agents get phone calls from other teams on cut down day. “Hey, I heard (player X) did not make the (Patriots) 53. We think he would be a great fit for us and would be interested in offering a spot on our 53 if this is true and he makes it to us on the waiver wire”

Is the goal you were picturing that that they were trying to see if he'd make it through to the practice squad this way? I have to say, I can't see it. There's no reason for teams to alert agents to waiver claims they're putting in. Especially this time of year, when teams routinely put in multiple claims with prioritization and if-then clauses.

How does that work? I thought your salary was pro-rated based on how many games you were on the 53, so if he gets cut.....
I thought it was guaranteed, but I've been told (here) that it isn't so I guess poor Gunner will have to live on those $30,000 a week checks until the ride stops

Spent the day at Busch Gardens just checking in now...

Shocked that Hoyer got cut and not traded, although his contract was a bit loaded, maybe that was the issue.

Hopefully the Thomas cut is indeed only going to last a day, and once they put someone on IR designated to return, he will be back, as a vested veteran he doesn’t have to go through waivers.

Gunner fans, his stay might only last a day, it all depends if the Pats claim/sign anyone tomorrow.

I bought bulkhead would also get moved.

Has anyone here ever worked for a competent organization? These kinds of things aren't left to chance.

If the Pats want Thomas back, then the deal is already sewed up. It was thought through by the Pats management weeks ago, and negotiated and agreed upon several days ago with Thomas and his agent. Thomas will probably get either a raise or more guaranteed money in the contract that he signs on Tuesday.

And every GM in the NFL knows that, because a few of them will have called his agent by now and been told that he's not available, and the word gets around.

Do you really think that the Pats' management would just wake up today and think, "oh, wow, if we cut Thomas we might lose him."
C'mon.
Of course that’s the plan, and I suspect it will happen. I’m not sure what you mean by the deal is “sewn up.“ He’s not currently signed with the Patriots, and stranger things have happened than plans not going as intended, even when a competent organization is involved.

One poster thinks we are "screwed" if he leaves. Who knew a 33 year old WR with a bum Achilles was the difference maker here.

This is sort of why I’m more open to the possibility that, hey, maybe he won’t be playing for the Patriots in 2019. I think the public’s perception of him is that he is still a game changing player, while the reality is I doubt the Patriots are feeling like he’s a need. I’m sure they would like him in the team, but is it possible he really is last on the depth/priority chart, especially at WR? I would much rather risk losing Thomas in free agency than Meyers on waivers. I realize Meyers is a rookie and may not mesh with Brady or may flame out, but he flashed a lot of talent this offseason and is on a four-year deal for cheap money. He’s 22 years old.

Of course that’s the plan, and I suspect it will happen. I’m not sure what you mean by the deal is “sewn up.“ He’s not currently signed with the Patriots, and stranger things have happened than plans not going as intended, even when a competent organization is involved.

I'm suggesting that contract terms were settled on long before he was actually cut.

Has anyone here ever worked for a competent organization? These kinds of things aren't left to chance.

If the Pats want Thomas back, then the deal is already sewed up. It was thought through by the Pats management weeks ago, and negotiated and agreed upon several days ago with Thomas and his agent. Thomas will probably get either a raise or more guaranteed money in the contract that he signs on Tuesday.

And every GM in the NFL knows that, because a few of them will have called his agent by now and been told that he's not available, and the word gets around.

Do you really think that the Pats' management would just wake up today and think, "oh, wow, if we cut Thomas we might lose him."
C'mon.

There’s a middle ground here called calculated risk.

C'mon.

Their cut and re-sign strategy failed with Bolden last year. They reportedly scrambled to re-sign him after they found out Miami was signing him before the Pats could bring him back.

I agree they probably have something worked out with Thomas but it’s never a sure thing

Not that Brady wouldn't have a point, however, do you think even Brady is going to get an answer different than a monotone "well Tom...trying to win a game...good opponents, quality...all 3 phases...on to next week"?
I don't get the media's take that Tom Brady, who has gone a full season with Reche F*cking Caldwell as his number one without complaint, who has been to NINE Superbowls with this HC, would suddenly on his 42nd birthday turned into a sniveling, whining little b!tch. I don't get it.

Brady KNOWS that Bill is doing his best to build the BEST team to win games, NOT to build the best receiving group so Tom Brady puts up great stats. What in the last 20 years would make any mediot make that take. :rolleyes: Oh I know. Clicks. And we all know its about the clicks.

Last edited:
Their cut and re-sign strategy failed with Bolden last year.

1. Yeah, but it was just Bolden.

2. You're assuming that the strategy with Bolden and Thomas are the same. Who knows how hard they actually tried to sign Bolden last year, or what they have done preemptively this year with Thomas.

If the team simply wanted to put someone on IR tomorrow, they could have cut Ebner or Slater, with a disunion beforehand.

I think that DT'd contract needed to be re-written.

TIL: Gunner Olszewski's first name is Kaleb.

I'm planning to forget that immediately.

Their cut and re-sign strategy failed with Bolden last year. They reportedly scrambled to re-sign him after they found out Miami was signing him before the Pats could bring him back.

I agree they probably have something worked out with Thomas but it’s never a sure thing
They waited a long time with bolden. I’m not so sure there was a deal

Is it possible that the Pats floated Gunner’s name in the press as a cut in order to smoke out potential interest from other teams in terms of a 53 man spot elsewhere?

Although it technically may be tampering, I’m sure that agents get phone calls from other teams on cut down day. “Hey, I heard (player X) did not make the (Patriots) 53. We think he would be a great fit for us and would be interested in offering a spot on our 53 if this is true and he makes it to us on the waiver wire”

Considering the reports have stated that the Patriots actually CALLED Gunner and told him they were cutting him only to call him back 4 hours later to say that things had changed, I'm going to say no, it wasn't.

I thought it was guaranteed, but I've been told (here) that it isn't so I guess poor Gunner will have to live on those $30,000 a week checks until the ride stops
The only "guaranteed" money Gunner got was $2.5K signing bonus.
He's scheduled to be paid the Contract Minimum for each of the 3 years of his contract.
495K, $585K, and $675K.

Note, the $675K for 2021 may change depending on the new CBA..

Figured this could use posting:

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back