PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

No team does that. But they could have shed some of the veterans and played some of the young guys. But hey, whatever floats your boat, my man. I hope you look back on those wins fondly as “the worst quarterback in the league” is leading the team next year. Meanwhile, in the division, the Dolphins just committed a heist and have multiple first round picks over the next few seasons. I don’t know about you, but on my death bed, I will look back fondly upon 2020 while telling my Hospice nurse, “those wins against the Jets and the Ravens? You had to have been there. They were... spectacular.” Then I’ll quit breathing and die with a smile on my face knowing that I was alive to see them.
I just wanted to tell you that while I don't always agree with you, I appreciate the effort in your posts. This one is gold.

McCourty and Gilmore are a core part of this years team. Trading guys to try to games in 2020 to weaken you in 2021 seems like not a very smart move.
Not sure how tradable thuney on a tag is.
Burkhead is a jag.

Sending signals that you are giving up is never good for a team.
At the time they beat baltimore they were 4-5 without a lot of tough teams left in the schedule. I don’t even remember when the trade deadline was, but what message do you send when you pack it in then?
The notion that BB would tank is absurd. Trading or letting multiple starters walk in the hopes of saving a couple bucks when it doesn't effect their ability to spend large in 2021 is a signal to your team they are tanking.

The Patriots have an absurd amount of money and cap space to build now because they cleared the dead cap in 2020, used it as a reset year. All this money didn't just appear out of the aether. This was well planned and thought out.

In fairness, Mond has the athletic ability and the arm for every throw. The downside is is ability to move through his progression instead of giving in to the urge to take off and run. He’s made some mind numbing mistakes with the ball when he’s had to move off of his first read. He’d be a work in progress and I’m not sure if he would be able to contribute in any meaningful way in year 1.

What do you think about Feleipe Franks? Former gator. I thought the talent was there don’t know what happened.

What do you think about Feleipe Franks? Former gator. I thought the talent was there don’t know what happened.
He really sucks, Trask was way better with the same team. Franks is a homeless mans Ryan Mallet.

No way the Dolphins would have traded the #3 to the Pats.

The Niners tho.... hmmm

Maybe Bill is orchestrating this whole deal.

(Yeah, just an unrealistic dreamland scenario because dreams don't die until Cam is declared starter)

No way the Dolphins would have traded the #3 to the Pats.

The Niners tho.... hmmm

Maybe Bill is orchestrating this whole deal.

(Yeah, just an unrealistic dreamland scenario because dreams don't die until Cam is declared starter)
Atlanta and Cincinnati are in play at 4 and 5, Detroit is likely in play at 7...

Jimmy is coming back to Foxboro and Bill's gonna make him wear number 12.

Grudge match vs Tampa.
If that happens (it won't), Jimmy would get carted out of the stadium before halftime and Pats get blown out by 30.

I guess these "Jimmy G is coming to Patriots" rumors won't die until Belichick retires or Jimmy is out of the NFL, whichever comes first. Maybe not even then, lmao.

I guess these "Jimmy G is coming to Patriots" rumors won't die until Belichick retires or Jimmy is out of the NFL, whichever comes first. Maybe not even then, lmao.
Like the Randy Moss is coming back rumors... or my personal favorite, Julius Peppers to Patriots rumors for all of those years we were screaming for a pass rusher.

McCourty and Gilmore are a core part of this years team. Trading guys to try to games in 2020 to weaken you in 2021 seems like not a very smart move.
Not sure how tradable thuney on a tag is.
Burkhead is a jag.

Sending signals that you are giving up is never good for a team.
At the time they beat baltimore they were 4-5 without a lot of tough teams left in the schedule. I don’t even remember when the trade deadline was, but what message do you send when you pack it in then?
Who cares? It’s a completely different football team now. Arguably the only one of those guys that would have been hard to replace would have been Gilmore, who probably would have fetched us a first round pick. You’ve been very vocal about how terrible you think Cam is. Did you really think, at any point, that the 2020 squad was capable of making a run? Of course not. The funny thing is, in 2019, Miami did EXACTLY what I was hoping the Pats would do in 2020. Guess what? Flores got a good look at the younger guys, they still won a few games (the last of which cost us a bye), and they’re in a very enviable position right now. Even if Tua doesn’t pan out, they have the draft capital to try again. What did those wins REALLY do for this organization?

People shouldn't gloss over the haul Miami picked up with this trade. When all was said and done they dropped 3 spots in the 1st round of the 2021 draft while picking up another future 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick. Over the next 3 drafts Miami has 5 1st round picks. If they don't f*ck'em up then they will be solidifying an impressive foundation for the next 5-7 years at least. With Buffalo already looking like a formidable team, the division is looking quite competitive for years to come.

I would have preferred the Patriots get into the mix of trading into a better draft position to get one of the top quarterbacks. Right now it's looking like all of the top QB prospects are going 1 through 4. Probably not another QB worth taking in the 1st round thereafter.

Trading for Garoppolo doesn't seem realistic for the Patriots. Firstly, he would have to agree to the trade, and if the trade were to happen, then seemingly he would have to accept a fairly sizable pay cut to be a fit for the Patriots. Why would Garoppolo agree to that? Secondly, SF probably would be asking for too much in return. He's not worth the 15th overall pick and I don't think SF would accept a 2nd, or a 3rd, which is probably fair compensation.

The best thing about Garoppolo is he's better, perhaps a lot better, than Newton. But that's hardly a steep hill to climb and Garoppolo's a huge gamble due to his fragility. He's almost guaranteed to miss at least a quarter of every season. The other question, and no small one at that, is he really a franchise quarterback? SF apparently doesn't think so and they're probably onto something there.

He ended up being trash. I wouldn’t touch him with a 10 foot pole.

I'm not a fan of him. If it got to that point in a choice I'd rather have Kyle Trask.

Who cares? It’s a completely different football team now. Arguably the only one of those guys that would have been hard to replace would have been Gilmore, who probably would have fetched us a first round pick. You’ve been very vocal about how terrible you think Cam is. Did you really think, at any point, that the 2020 squad was capable of making a run? Of course not. The funny thing is, in 2019, Miami did EXACTLY what I was hoping the Pats would do in 2020. Guess what? Flores got a good look at the younger guys, they still won a few games (the last of which cost us a bye), and they’re in a very enviable position right now. Even if Tua doesn’t pan out, they have the draft capital to try again. What did those wins REALLY do for this organization?
We disagree. We see the team dynamic differently. That’s fine.

You really think the career move for Jimmy is to destroy a locker room?

If the 49ers don’t want to trade him then they want to play him until the rookie is ready. So he starts the season as the starter making 24 million and having the opportunity to have a great season and get a huge contract as a free agent next year.
Instead you think he should tell his team FU I am entitled to my job without competition and I will destroy your locker room so you can cut me and I can go make less money and have a damaged reputation.

why?
I didn’t say he’ll go in guns blazing and tell everyone to F off. And of course he’ll play hard. But he could complain to other players, shut out the rookie they pick, be uncommunicative with coaches. Like the pft article said, likely the 49ers will want to trade him now.

I think Belichick would bite. He loves Jimmy. He'd trade #15 for Garopollo and a third or something like that.
Its crazy.

For a QB who has been healthy enough to play 1 game shy of 50% availability. Cam is going to be starting anyway, so youre just wasting draft picks.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back