PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

they can more than likely get Jimmy G if he wants out AND still draft one of the next tier QBs, if they so desired

Lets be honest, if the Niners are open to trading Jimmy G do you think they would come out and say "yeah we need to get rid of this guy" if they want to get as much from another team as they want they need to make it look like they are happy with Jimmy G being the starter. Thats their leverage for other teams.

I dont see how the niners go into the year with Jimmy G as the starter and get nothing for him next year when they could get something now.

So they have to pay him $25 million. A holdout will disrupt the lockerroom. He would eventually play after holding out, but it won't help what they are trying to do.
Ok. Let’s take this step by step.
Jimmy wants to be traded.
If the 49ers want to trade him he gets traded.
If the 49ers don’t want to trade him they want to play him.

So the argument you are making us that a guy who has been able to play 25 of his teams last 48 games and is being asked to start and make 24 million dollars would be sensible to tell the team FU because you drafted my eventual replacement and I’m too good to be replaced so I am going to become a dlck and set out to destroy your locker room until you trade me, because that is my best career move.
Seriously?

14 teams ahead of New England...

Jacksonville - Lawrence
NY Jets - Wilson
SF - Lance/Fields
Atlanta - won't take a QB
Cincinnati - won't take a QB
Miami - won't take a QB
Detroit - won't take a QB
Carolina
Denver
Dallas - won't take a QB
NY Giants - won't take a QB
Philadelphia - won't take a QB
LA Chargers - won't take a QB
Minnesota - won't take a QB

Patriots have a shot at Mac Jones or best player available here, or they can move up to 4/5/6/7 to grab the guy they want there.

So, you wanted them to give up after 7 games? Good thing you weren't coach of the team in 2001. They were 3-4 with a still unproven qb yet won the Super Bowl. I bet you raged when they still tried that year despite not having a winning record until week 11.

On your death bed, you can look back and enjoy rooting for the best dynasty in NFL history rather than *****ing about a winner of a coach not showing loser mentality by tanking.
Uh. Let’s see. In 2001, I was 15 years old and trying to bust a nut. The first nut I busted, however, was nothing in comparison to the load I blew in my pants when we won those Jets and Ravens games, though. I shot a load so hard that my pants literally blew off my ass. They blew off my ass in public too. Now, mind you, I’m Irish. An elderly lady looked down after it happened, made eye contact with me, and laughed. But I didn’t care. I was in a pure state of unfiltered euphoria. Those wins, man. Let me tell ya. They sent shockwaves across the planet. Monks in Tibet are still talking about them to this day. Uncontacted tribes in the Amazon drew pictures on cave walls to commemorate them. We’re talking some big time stuff here.

An unproven QB is something to watch and hope for. Cam was proven. To suck. Our wideouts were proven to suck. The TEs? Worst in the league. Key members of the defense opted out. You had Bentley as the Mike LB. Then Covid hit the team. This team was going nowhere. It was obvious at the midpoint of the season. Bill could have shed aging talent, accumulated draft picks, played the young guys (probably results in at least one more loss), and saw what happened. He didn’t. Now we’re talking about a few games of Jimmy G, Cam, Kellen Mond, Mills, Trask, or whatever we can get. Hopefully I’m wrong. I’d love to eat my words on this one. Feel free to serve them to me if it happens. But I’m afraid all those wins did was squeeze out some short term joy at the long-term expense of the team.

Jimmy G has a legit chance of being relegated to the bench next year if he stays. This isnt Aaron Rodgers who has no threat of being replaced. And its not Fitzpatrick in Miami who is happy to be a clip board guy.

this is a 29 year old QB who has seen success in the league, and actually is pretty good. just very injury prone.

Oh I’d imagine he’s done as a starter there next year at the very latest. You don’t spend 3 firsts on a qb to sit for too long

14 teams ahead of New England...

Jacksonville - Lawrence
NY Jets - Wilson
SF - Lance/Fields
Atlanta - won't take a QB
Cincinnati - won't take a QB
Miami - won't take a QB
Detroit - won't take a QB
Carolina
Denver
Dallas - won't take a QB
NY Giants - won't take a QB
Philadelphia - won't take a QB
LA Chargers - won't take a QB
Minnesota - won't take a QB

Patriots have a shot at Mac Jones or best player available here, or they can move up to 4/5/6/7 to grab the guy they want there.

I feel like Atlanta and Philly are wildcards. Does atlanta view Matt Ryan as someone they can win with and would rather get him help? or do they want to draft for the future?

same with philly. how do they feel about the new kid?

Uh. Let’s see. In 2001, I was 15 years old and trying to bust a nut. The first nut I busted, however, was nothing in comparison to the load I blew in my pants when we won those Jets and Ravens games, though. I shot a load so hard that my pants literally blew off my ass. They blew off my ass in public too. Now, mind you, I’m Irish. An elderly lady looked down after it happened, made eye contact with me, and laughed. But I didn’t care. I was in a pure state of unfiltered euphoria. Those wins, man. Let me tell ya. They sent shockwaves across the planet. Monks in Tibet are still talking about them to this day. Uncontacted tribes in the Amazon drew pictures on cave walls to commemorate them. We’re talking some big time stuff here.

An unproven QB is something to watch and hope for. Cam was proven. To suck. Our wideouts were proven to suck. The TEs? Worst in the league. Key members of the defense opted out. You had Bentley as the Mike LB. Then Covid hit the team. This team was going nowhere. It was obvious at the midpoint of the season. Bill could have shed aging talent, accumulated draft picks, played the young guys (probably results in at least one more loss), and saw what happened. He didn’t. Now we’re talking about a few games of Jimmy G, Cam, Kellen Mond, Mills, Trask, or whatever we can get. Hopefully I’m wrong. I’d love to eat my words on this one. Feel free to serve them to me if it happens. But I’m afraid all those wins did was squeeze out some short term joy at the long-term expense of the team.
What aging players do you “shed” mid season to prevent your team from winning this year that aren’t players who will help you win next year?

BB always reaches for a DB in the 2nd round. If BB really wants a player like Jimmy G then he should reach for Davis Mills in the 2nd round.
If they don't trade up I would be satisfied with best player available at 15 and Davis Mills in the second. Trask or Mond would be next on my list.

Oh I’d imagine he’s done as a starter there next year at the very latest. You don’t spend 3 firsts on a qb to sit for too long

which is why I think Jimmy G is gone. not just from Jimmys standpoint, but now everyone KNOWS the niners are eventually moving on from Jimmy G. so they go from potentially getting picks this year for Jimmy.

or nothing next year when teams know he will be cut...

I feel like Atlanta and Philly are wildcards. Does atlanta view Matt Ryan as someone they can win with and would rather get him help? or do they want to draft for the future?

Atlanta has many bigger problems than qb.
Philly would be stupid to think they have a legitimate QB on their roster. They should be one of the top few teams fighting for a qb.

If they don't trade up I would be satisfied with best player available at 15 and Davis Mills in the second. Trask or Mond would be next on my list.
We have no shot at any QBs in the 1st round. At #15, I wouldn't mind trading down or taking Parsons, surtain, or barmore at #15. If Pitts is still available, you can't pass him up!

Atlanta can't do anything with Matt Ryan, he is dug in like a tick for two years at least. The dead cap hit if they cut or trade him is too large. No GM or coach is going to draft a kid to sit behind Ryan for two years and no kid is going to be good enough to beat Ryan out. Also look at that team, Matt Ryan is one of the better QB's in the league, their issues aren't at the QB position. They have massive holes. Any GM or coach taking a QB that high will be fired long before that kid plays barring injury and Arthur Blank doesn't want to wait on a complete rebuild.

Philly drafted Hurts high, he played really well last year and they made themselves look stupid by tanking for all to see. Then they signed Joe Flacco this week so they'd have a vet to mentor him and play if things go south. They also have holes everywhere, they need O-Line desperately.

Last edited:
What aging players do you “shed” mid season to prevent your team from winning this year that aren’t players who will help you win next year?
We could have dangled McCourty, Gilmore, Thuney, and Burkhead for starters. Thuney was going to be gone anyway. Any one of those guys gets traded and it also opens up more cap space to use. Someone said at the beginning of the offseason, can’t remember who, that $60+M was all BB needed to build the roster. Do you not think he could have replaced those players or retooled the roster without them? All the while having even more cap space and, likely, a better pick?

We have no shot at any QBs in the 1st round. At #15, I wouldn't mind trading down or taking Parsons, surtain, or barmore at #15. If Pitts is still available, you can't pass him up!
I think Mac Jones and whoever SF doesn't take (Lance/Fields) at 3 is within striking distance if the idea is to trade up.

We could have dangled McCourty, Gilmore, Thuney, and Burkhead for starters. Thuney was going to be gone anyway. Any one of those guys gets traded and it also opens up more cap space to use. Someone said at the beginning of the offseason, can’t remember who, that $60+M was all BB needed to build the roster. Do you not think he could have replaced those players or retooled the roster without them? All the while having even more cap space and, likely, a better pick?
McCourty and Gilmore are a core part of this years team. Trading guys to try to games in 2020 to weaken you in 2021 seems like not a very smart move.
Not sure how tradable thuney on a tag is.
Burkhead is a jag.

Sending signals that you are giving up is never good for a team.
At the time they beat baltimore they were 4-5 without a lot of tough teams left in the schedule. I don’t even remember when the trade deadline was, but what message do you send when you pack it in then?

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back