PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

People shouldn't gloss over the haul Miami picked up with this trade. When all was said and done they dropped 3 spots in the 1st round of the 2021 draft while picking up another future 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick. Over the next 3 drafts Miami has 5 1st round picks. If they don't f*ck'em up then they will be solidifying an impressive foundation for the next 5-7 years at least. With Buffalo already looking like a formidable team, the division is looking quite competitive for years to come.

I would have preferred the Patriots get into the mix of trading into a better draft position to get one of the top quarterbacks. Right now it's looking like all of the top QB prospects are going 1 through 4. Probably not another QB worth taking in the 1st round thereafter.

Trading for Garoppolo doesn't seem realistic for the Patriots. Firstly, he would have to agree to the trade, and if the trade were to happen, then seemingly he would have to accept a fairly sizable pay cut to be a fit for the Patriots. Why would Garoppolo agree to that? Secondly, SF probably would be asking for too much in return. He's not worth the 15th overall pick and I don't think SF would accept a 2nd, or a 3rd, which is probably fair compensation.

The best thing about Garoppolo is he's better, perhaps a lot better, than Newton. But that's hardly a steep hill to climb and Garoppolo's a huge gamble due to his fragility. He's almost guaranteed to miss at least a quarter of every season. The other question, and no small one at that, is he really a franchise quarterback? SF apparently doesn't think so and they're probably onto something there.
Agree with most of what your saying but he was one bad pass from winning the super bowl, his experience in that super bowl is a positive if he makes it there again.

Agree with most of what your saying but he was one bad pass from winning the super bowl, his experience in that super bowl is a positive if he makes it there again.

Vs KC, Jimmy kneeled down with a minute to go before the half because Jimmy is a game manager. Brady or Mahomes swing for the fences.

Jimmy threw for 6 completions and 77 yards in the NFC Championship. People will be dancing on the roof when he comes back, but will soon learn the truth that Jimmy is a Fraud. NFC Championship - Green Bay Packers at San Francisco 49ers - January 19th, 2020 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Jimmy was one injury to his stud starting center away from winning a Super Bowl. Weston Richburg got hurt before the playoffs which allowed Chris Jones to pressure him in the pocket. Health provided the Pats are a super bowl contender again if they get Jimmy.

Who cares? It’s a completely different football team now. Arguably the only one of those guys that would have been hard to replace would have been Gilmore, who probably would have fetched us a first round pick. You’ve been very vocal about how terrible you think Cam is. Did you really think, at any point, that the 2020 squad was capable of making a run? Of course not. The funny thing is, in 2019, Miami did EXACTLY what I was hoping the Pats would do in 2020. Guess what? Flores got a good look at the younger guys, they still won a few games (the last of which cost us a bye), and they’re in a very enviable position right now. Even if Tua doesn’t pan out, they have the draft capital to try again. What did those wins REALLY do for this organization?
Thing is, team is close to being in QB purgatory, where they're good enough to make it to playoffs but not good enough to win it all.

That means perennial picks in the 20s and up making it difficult to get in on top 3 picks. Bill should trade #15 for a 2021 low 3rd round and a 2022 1st round pick to put picks together to move up in the future. Jimmy G isn't the answer.

I think the 49ers will expect to get a first for Garrapolo, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a 1st this year, and the way draft picks are weighted a future pick loses a round in value for each year. So they could make their asking price a future 1st round pick, and if you believe that they will be a much better team with Garrapolo then you are really giving up a 1st in the 26-32 range. And as much as I don’t like idea of giving up a 1st to bring Garrapolo back I would make that deal, simply because I believe the are a QB away from serious contention. Garrapolo isn’t Brady and he never will be, but he has shown he can help get a team to the SB.

14 teams ahead of New England...

Jacksonville - Lawrence
NY Jets - Wilson
SF - Lance/Fields
Atlanta - won't take a QB
Cincinnati - won't take a QB
Miami - won't take a QB
Detroit - won't take a QB
Carolina
Denver
Dallas - won't take a QB
NY Giants - won't take a QB
Philadelphia - won't take a QB
LA Chargers - won't take a QB
Minnesota - won't take a QB

Patriots have a shot at Mac Jones or best player available here, or they can move up to 4/5/6/7 to grab the guy they want there.
Don't you think the teams 32 to 16 might want Jones and trade over us?

Don't you think the teams 32 to 16 might want Jones and trade over us?
Philly, Miami, and Detroit could all take QBs is someone they like drops

I would not mind having JG back
The only way I want him back is if he is released and he signs a contract that is incentive laden on playing time

I love me some Jimmy. Pre FA, when NE seemed to be knee deep in rebuilding, I would’ve never wanted to send #15 to SF. While it’s not ideal, I’d pull the trigger now. BB is not any younger, the core of the team got significantly younger (from 30s to mid 20s with FAs), and they need a solid QB - not “potential”.

Posters talking about the 96th pick ? I dunno. It’d be great, but I think the price will be higher. Especially if CHI wants in...

NE is a legit team with FAs + Jimmy. I want to see it. (And I still want them to run the ball quite a bit as well, regardless)

I didn’t say he’ll go in guns blazing and tell everyone to F off. And of course he’ll play hard. But he could complain to other players, shut out the rookie they pick, be uncommunicative with coaches. Like the pft article said, likely the 49ers will want to trade him now.
How does that help him? If he is staying it’s because he is playing so why would he destroy the locker room of the team he is starting for?
Wouldn’t it make more sense to be a man okay you’re me heart out and cash in next year?

Uh. Let’s see. In 2001, I was 15 years old
So this explains your **** attitude. You have no clue what it's like to root for a bad team. You've been spoiled by the greatest coach in the history of the league. The guy who chose the 6th round draft pick over the first overall pick franchise qb. And I know your balls were still dropping back then, but it was actually a big debate whether or not to bench Brady when Bledsoe returned. The boomer versions of you (Belichick bashers) were licking their lips ready to tear him apart for choosing the young guy.

Also, when you were jizzing all over yourself during the Ravens win, you must have got some in your eyes to not notice that playoffs were still a possibility at that point. Perhaps the Brady tears mixed with the jizz made you blind to the fact that had they beaten the Texans, they'd be 7-4 after week 13 and a real shot at division or wc.

And obviously they lost to the Texans, but the scrub Newton only threw for 365 yards that game.

But yes, the team did go on to eventually miss the playoffs and it was a shell of a team by the final game but the GOAT coach still showed the team there is no giving up.
Rather than the loser mentality of having professional athletes throw games so they can hope for a QB, he had them play until the end.

Reasons like that are why he's a winner and the GOAT, and why you're just some Bradystan who clearly doesn't know his ass from his elbow when it comes to football.

Philly, Miami, and Detroit could all take QBs is someone they like drops

Miami and Philly both traded back today. That is not a move by a team looking to draft a QB.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back