PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Path cleared for Jimmy's return? [SF trades for #3 pick]

Don't you think the teams 32 to 16 might want Jones and trade over us?
Many people are suggesting he may go later than 15 or isn't worth drafting there. Davis Mills would be a good pick up in the second, I don't think they'll reach for one.

I think the 49ers will expect to get a first for Garrapolo, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a 1st this year, and the way draft picks are weighted a future pick loses a round in value for each year. So they could make their asking price a future 1st round pick, and if you believe that they will be a much better team with Garrapolo then you are really giving up a 1st in the 26-32 range. And as much as I don’t like idea of giving up a 1st to bring Garrapolo back I would make that deal, simply because I believe the are a QB away from serious contention. Garrapolo isn’t Brady and he never will be, but he has shown he can help get a team to the SB.
totally agree. They need a QB. Jimmy G knows the system and will feed the 2 TEs. It makes them an AFC contender.

We could have dangled McCourty, Gilmore, Thuney, and Burkhead for starters. Thuney was going to be gone anyway. Any one of those guys gets traded and it also opens up more cap space to use. Someone said at the beginning of the offseason, can’t remember who, that $60+M was all BB needed to build the roster. Do you not think he could have replaced those players or retooled the roster without them? All the while having even more cap space and, likely, a better pick?
I think this is all going to work out in the end. Just watch. I'm convinced of it.

“Jason Taylor! Tom loves him, they need a pass rusher, he’s looking for a ring, he’d be a perfect Patriot!”
... and if I recall correctly, when he HAD the chance to close his career out with the Pats, he c;hose to play a meaningless season for the FREAKIN Jets. :eeK:

... and if I recall correctly, when he HAD the chance to close his career out with the Pats, he c;hose to play a meaningless season for the FREAKIN Jets. :eeK:
Yep. He chased the dollars and the big media market over championships.

Hypothetical: The Niners have Jimmy G start and they have a great season.

How's that trade looking for them now? They've got a 30-year-old vet QB who took them far...

Alex Smith back to the Bay Area to mentor the kid they pick? I can't see them sitting on Jimmy and laying out 24m. Bosa's coming due for a QB-like salary. I mean, they just told the guy "You ain't the guy."

I am holding out hope for both Jimmy AND Mac Jones. Pats get Jimmy for a 3rd. Jimmy restructures to a cap friendly deal. Jimmy repairs his value and reputation with Pats for a year or two while Mac develops. Mac, IMO is the best QB in 2021 class not named Trevor Lawrence. Mac is accurate, good decision maker, great pocket awareness, intelligence off the charts, loves film study and considers himself a student of the game. BB has good intel from Saban and BOB who is offensive coordinator and qb coach.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back