PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Panthers ask for permission to interview Nick Caserio [update: Hired by Texans]

In recent years, the "Brain Trust" has been:

Bob/Jonathan Kraft
Bill Belichick
Nick Caserio

And I *think* McDaniels became a part of that after he left the Colts at the altar.....

Would Ziegler be a part of that "Brain Trust"?

I think Caserio walking is a significant issue for our off-season....I read over at PFT that the NFL removed the "no trade" clause from Caserio's recent extension after Houston couldn't hire him in 2019. Caserio presumably has been building our draft board all year....and we probably will miss having him at practices...what other GM serves as a "position coach" at practices in the NFL?

Bob/Jonathan Kraft
Bill Belichick
Nick Caserio

And I *think* McDaniels became a part of that after he left the Colts at the altar.....

I think Caserio walking is a significant issue for our off-season....I read over at PFT that the NFL removed the "no trade" clause from Caserio's recent extension after Houston couldn't hire him in 2019. Caserio presumably has been building our draft board all year....and we probably will miss having him at practices...what other GM serves as a "position coach" at practices in the NFL?
Clearly if he’s been throwing to receivers it hasn’t been helping.

This dance with Houston... at least that's over. I am not on board with @KontradictioN to say good riddance, but I am ready for a fresh voice after 7-9. Good luck to him.

If Atlanta moves on from Dimitroff, are we interested in him? Pioli? I would prefer them bringing in someone with some cred that can stand up to Bill. Not a little bit, either, but a lot. Pound the table and tell Bill he's eff'n wrong. I don't know if Dimitroff and Pioli are those type of guys or not, but just a couple names that pop in my head. Gimme someone to push back on Bill.

Bob/Jonathan Kraft
Bill Belichick
Nick Caserio

Ziegler is another John Carroll guy. Can we stop being the fraternity for a sub-par university? Let's bring in some actual brain power into the front office and coaching staffs. The offense keeps getting worse with the current OC and all the John Carroll people on the staff.

Ziegler is another John Carroll guy. Can we stop being the fraternity for a sub-par university? Let's bring in some actual brain power into the front office and coaching staffs. The offense keeps getting worse with the current OC and all the John Carroll people on the staff.

Is it your position that McD has regressed? The offense was fine in 2007...2nd most points scored all time.

Is it your position that McD has regressed? The offense was fine in 2007...2nd most points scored all time.

Since October 2019 it's been bad and getting worse. So yes. Without Brady and Gronk (and Moss) the current OC is horribly exposed .

I’m not sure why people were trying to find some ulterior motive for leaving. Dude just wanted to get paid.

Last edited:
This dance with Houston... at least that's over. I am not on board with @KontradictioN to say good riddance, but I am ready for a fresh voice after 7-9. Good luck to him.

If Atlanta moves on from Dimitroff, are we interested in him? Pioli? I would prefer them bringing in someone with some cred that can stand up to Bill. Not a little bit, either, but a lot. Pound the table and tell Bill he's eff'n wrong. I don't know if Dimitroff and Pioli are those type of guys or not, but just a couple names that pop in my head. Gimme someone to push back on Bill.
TD was fired when the falcons let Quinn go

I’m not sure why people were trying to find some ulterior motive for leaving. Dude just wanted to get paid.

I don’t think it was money he wanted to be the main voice and have final say and control.
Was never getting that under BB

I don’t think it was money he wanted to be the main voice and have final say and control.
Was never getting that under BB

He will be making at least 6x as much per season as he was making before (EDIT: apparently about 2M per year here, thanks to @Sciz). Given that it is a six year deal that the Texan will have to pay out even if they fire him, he took that deal to set himself and his family up for life.

The control and whatnot is nice but lets not pretend making about 36M in that time is not the main driver.

Last edited:
He will be making at least 6x as much per season as he was making before. Most likely even considerably more. Given that it is a six year deal that the Texan will have to pay out even if they fire him, he took that deal to set himself and his family up for life.

The control and whatnot is nice but lets not pretend making about 36M in that time is not the main driver.
If he was that important to football operations here we could of matched or came close at least.
Of course money is a factor but I’d be surprised if it was the main one.

A college teammate at John Carroll University. The NFL would have you believe that the greatest minds of the football universe all went to a little Catholic school in the suburbs of Cleveland.

The NFL world certainly is very very chummy. I'll say that.
The NYFL is a good ol' choir boys network.
Amen and Awomen.

If he was that important to football operations here we could of matched or came close at least.
Of course money is a factor but I’d be surprised if it was the main one.
Howe reported in 2017 that Caserio was making about $2 million per year. His value to the team did not triple just because the Texans were interested. $6 million is the kind of money reserved for guys who have final say on things and face the consequences if those decisions don't go well.

Howe reported in 2017 that Caserio was making about $2 million per year. His value to the team did not triple just because the Texans were interested. $6 million is the kind of money reserved for guys who have final say on things and face the consequences if those decisions don't go well.
I always wanted a deal where if things "didn't go well" I'd get the N remaining years of yearly salary of my 6 year contract.

Since October 2019 it's been bad and getting worse. So yes. Without Brady and Gronk (and Moss) the current OC is horribly exposed .

Yeah, give him playmakers and I think he'll be a genius again in no time....

I'll be interested now on who Caserio drafts. If he all of the sudden starts hitting on picks, we'll have a pretty good idea there could be some truth to Lazar's rumor of Bill ignoring advise from scouts/other personnel and taking guys he becomes obsessed with after seeing 5 minutes of tape.

I'll be interested now on who Caserio drafts. If he all of the sudden starts hitting on picks, we'll have a pretty good idea there could be some truth to Lazar's rumor of Bill ignoring advise from scouts/other personnel and taking guys he becomes obsessed with after seeing 5 minutes of tape.

Wouldn't be surprised that multiple good scouting directors left because Belichick listened to crappy McDaniels multiple times instead of scout concerns or recommendations.

Last edited:
Well Monti went to Miami and they've been doing really well on the Dolphins. Wouldn't be surprised that multiple good scouting directors left because Belichick listened to crappy McDaniels multiple times instead of scout concerns or recommendations.
Monti went to Tennessee and hasn't even been part of a draft there. And how do scouting directors leaving for promotions with other teams possibly tell us anything other than that they want better paying jobs? These guys aren't leaving for lateral moves.

Lazar's rumor of Bill ignoring advise from scouts/other personnel and taking guys he becomes obsessed with after seeing 5 minutes of tape.

Yes because nothing describes the thorough and highly analytical mind of BB as well as "getting obsessed with 5 minutes of tape". Bad outcomes are very often based on pretty good decision making given the available information. It is the missing information and associated uncertainty (character beyond a 10min iview, random injuries et al) that is the killer for every team.

If anything I'd say this describes essentially 99% of people -- outside the draft board -- around here. Watch a 8min highlight clip on YouTube, and the say "I watched tape on that guy".

Yes because nothing describes the thorough and highly analytical mind of BB as well as "getting obsessed with 5 minutes of tape". Bad outcomes are very often based on pretty good decision making given the available information. It is the missing information and associated uncertainty (character beyond a 10min iview, random injuries et al) that is the killer for every team.

If anything I'd say this describes essentially 99% of people -- outside the draft board -- around here. Watch a 8min highlight clip on YouTube, and the say "I watched tape on that guy".

Sounds more like the guy who traded up for Tim Tebow using a first round pick and said NKeal Harry 'aced' his Foxboro workout. And fought to draft Laurence Maroney in the first round because his kid brother said he was good.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back