PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats hire Dom Capers as DB coach, fire Joel Collier, move Caserio and O'Brien

Status
Not open for further replies.
MESSAGE TO CAPERS
Do a good job this year on the DB's this year and next year you're DC.

I don't know why he took the job, and I don't care. What a great pickup!

Yep, fantastic pickup! I was pretty disappointed with the passive play of the defensive backfield last season.

Glad to see Capers on board, does a nice job as a assitant coach, not a great hc...

I bet you will see colier with the jets, just a hunch...

Capers is a great acquisition! GREAT! Nice move BB!

Capers is a fantastic pick up.

Obviously I think BB is the greatest coach in the game and maybe the best coach ever. The thread title is misleading bu was made to ask if he is in trouble in terms of a suspension and this is a cover your backside move.

Collier with the jet's possibly, or a team like the cowboys since they seem to be looking for a defensive backs coach.

Re: Patriots hire Dom Capers

I'm not joking (about Weiss)...can you imagine what MORE charlie would have gotten out of the offensive powerhouse that we had??

Weis would have ripped Tom Brady's ass and the o-line a lot more than McDaniels did this year when they messed up

Re: Patriots hire Dom Capers

Weis would have ripped Tom Brady's ass and the o-line a lot more than McDaniels did this year when they messed up

Unless he was going to suit up for Mankins in the Super Bowl, he wouldn't have made a difference.

Why was Capers fired in Miami? (not throwing stones here because I don't know all that much about him except that I thought he was good in his time in Carolina....

He wasn't fired; he graduated. ;)

Re: Pats hire Dom Capers

A 1 year favor to Dom while he waits for a job to open up next year?
Even for 1 year he'll be a huge help ... Belichick is lacing up the gloves ... nice to see.

That's how I see it. Capers is here to learn (and get a paycheck). The Pats get coaching, and get to learn from him too.

In a year he'll likely be elsewhere.

This is a great move for the Patriots, will free Bill to do more stuff... great for our young position coaches, and will only help Dean Pees.. these are the kind of subtle moves we need to make to have this team perform better.

i loooooove the move. I think we'll keep the cover 3, but press it forwards towards the WR more (a 5 yard cushion instead of 10). Especially with Samuel leaving, we have no commitment to either man or zone coverage. If the CB's were to line 5 yards off the WR and still keep the cover 3, it would give it a much more man cover feel but keep the base of our secondary the same. I also think we'll see a lot more 4-3 hybrid defense and zone blitzing (depending on how much influence Capers has), and all of these things were ideas i had for the defense (maybe Belichick reads this board lol).

You have to wonder what this means for Pees. Personally, i think Capers and Pees will be running the defense in unison, which may cause some problems. If it works right, i predict our defense will amazing.

i loooooove the move. I think we'll keep the cover 3, but press it forwards towards the WR more (a 5 yard cushion instead of 10). Especially with Samuel leaving, we have no commitment to either man or zone coverage. If the CB's were to line 5 yards off the WR and still keep the cover 3, it would give it a much more man cover feel but keep the base of our secondary the same.

Holy crap.

You can't play Cover 3 at 5 yards. That's ridiculous.

Very little discussion on O'Brien here.

Last training camp, as a coaching assistant, he was working primarily with the wide receivers. I specifically remember him going through agility drills with them before the first practice.

Yet, few will remember he was pursued by the Patriots in 2001 after **** Rehbein died to be the Patriots' QB coach. Very often (just ask Brian Daboll), the QB coach position is the most coveted in terms of advancing to a OC and eventually head coach.

Here's the article from PFW:

http://archive.pfwonline.com/vol8iss2/pulse4.asp

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Belichick, Weis to maintain QB roles
By Shane Donaldson
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Volume 8, Number 2
March 6, 2002

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Citing continuity and time constraints, Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick told the media in a Feb. 26 conference call that the team will not hire a new quarterbacks coach to replace the late **** Rehbein.

Belichick announced that he and offensive coordinator Charlie Weis will continue to work directly with the quarterbacks rather than bring in somebody new. The duo handled the chores together in 2001 after Rehbein died last August during training camp.

The arrangement apparently worked well enough last year with the team winning a world championship that Belichick chose to maintain the status quo.

“When you are the head coach, one thing you want to do is be as much on the same page as your coordinators as you can,” Belichick said. “That’s a lot easier said than done because there are so many things that go into an offensive and defensive game plan.”

In his first season running the Patriots, Belichick chose not to hire a defensive coordinator, electing to supervise that unit himself as he installed his defensive system. But then he brought long-time associate Romeo Crennel on board last year as the defensive coordinator, which freed him up to spend more time with the offense. Rehbein’s death made that a must.

Things looked bleak as the team opened the season 1-3 and lost starter Drew Bledsoe for an extended period in Week Two. However, second-year player Tom Brady stepped in and helped the Patriots run off wins in 13 of their final 15 games, including a Super Bowl victory. Under the close watch of Belichick and Weis, Brady completed 264-of-413 passes, good for a new franchise record 63.9 completion percentage. He also threw for 2,843 yards, 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He was selected to his first Pro Bowl before going on to win Super Bowl XXXVI MVP honors.

It took a while for Belichick and Weis to get a handle on coaching the quarterback spot after Rehbein’s death, but the end result could not have worked out better.

“We thought that it worked out fairly well,” Belichick said. “There were some things we had to logistically work around, but by the end of the year we were comfortable with it. Based on where we are at this year it is hard to make a lot of changes because we are so far down the road in terms of preparing for next year. We felt like it would be best to keep it the way it was.”

The delayed start to the offseason caused by the Super Bowl run that extended the season into February somewhat handcuffed Belichick. He said the decision wasn’t made because of a new coach’s inability to learn the Patriots system as the offseason program was set to begin, but more because he and Weis wouldn’t have enough time to teach a newcomer exactly what they wanted.

As they did immediately following Rehbein’s death, Belichick said the coaching staff explored other possible avenues for filling the vacancy. It was reported by New England Cable News in mid-February that former Brown University football player and Andover, Mass., native Bill O’Brien was in line for the job. O’Brien, who just finished his first season as the offensive coordinator for Georgia Tech, denied ever being a candidate or meeting with any Patriots officials. Earlier in the offseason he was a finalist for the Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator job, but he lost out to Scott Linehan.

“It’s not true,” O’Brien told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “It’s a non-issue, a non-story. I’m totally committed to [Head Coach] Chan Gailey and Georgia Tech. I don’t know where that story came from.”

As it stands, 2002 will be the first season since 1995 that the Patriots won’t have an officially titled quarterbacks coach. New England did not have that designation on staff from 1991 through 1995. In 1990 Jimmy Raye was listed as the team’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. It wasn’t until 1996 when Chris Palmer moved from wide receivers to quarterbacks coach that New England filled the position again.
[/FONT]

Holy crap.

You can't play Cover 3 at 5 yards. That's ridiculous.

technically you can, because you'd be dropping 2 CB's and a FS into zone coverage, but it'd require faster CB's and have a much more man cover feel b/c the CB's would not have a cushion on the WR if they went deep. I suppose it basically would be a man cover defense.

To do that however, you'd have to wonder if Harrisons role would be reduced, because he would have to drop into zone coverage more often. That's something i wouldn't be comfortable with.

On a rather neglected aspect of this story:

Nick Caserio, who served as receivers coach last year, is the team's new director of player personnel. Bill O'Brien, who served as a coaching assistant last year, is the new receivers coach.

Actually, he's returning to the position he held before he was WR coach. It wouldn't surprise me if they're grooming Caserio to eventually have Pioli's job a few years down the line. . . . :)

On a rather neglected aspect of this story:

Actually, he's returning to the position he held before he was WR coach. It wouldn't surprise me if they're grooming Caserio to eventually have Pioli's job a few years down the line. . . . :)

As much as I kid about the sky falling types, this actually puts my mind at ease.

PFnV

technically you can, because you'd be dropping 2 CB's and a FS into zone coverage, but it'd require faster CB's and have a much more man cover feel b/c the CB's would not have a cushion on the WR if they went deep. I suppose it basically would be a man cover defense.

To do that however, you'd have to wonder if Harrisons role would be reduced, because he would have to drop into zone coverage more often. That's something i wouldn't be comfortable with.

No, you can't. Cover 3 is a Deep as the deepest Zone coverage, played at a minimum of 7 yards. If you play at 5, an NFL WR will kill you. Your responsibility is an entire deep third of the field. If he gets deep, you're done.

You can't play it like man, unless it is Cover Zero (also known as Cover NONE). If you play Cover 1 and man up underneath, at least you have the FS playing centerfield over the top.

Cover 3, Cover 1 and Cover Zero are all separate and distinct.

Rodney drops into pass zones all the time. In Cover 3, he would be the flat player.

Dom Kaper's Presence On The Staff

I think that We all should consider how much effect having Dom Kaper's on the staff will effect the style of Defense that We play.Dom Kaper's has always played a Zone Blitzing Schemeand while The Patriots do this sometimes ,they don't always play this way.I think We might play a more aggressive style of defense which means more pressure which I would like to see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back