PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats hire Dom Capers as DB coach, fire Joel Collier, move Caserio and O'Brien

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Dom Kaper's Presence On The Staff

I'm sure that Capers will influence Belichick and Pees somewhat, but it's still their defense. I doubt we'll see major change as far as the overall defensive scheme goes, though it would certainly be interesting. The Pats need to generate a better pass rush than they did down the stretch last year somehow.

Not Sure who Dom Kaper's is.

Dom Capers is the Pats new coach.

Capers brings another seasoned presence on the coaching staff. With his league-wide experience as a coordinator and coaching the various defensive positions, he can give the DBs a better sense of their role in the different coverage schemes, blitzes, variations, what to look for, how to react quicker, etc. Chalk up another plus for the Patriots brain trust.

I think he's defacto assistant coach. Can't see a guy with his experience as just a position coach.

He does have "special assistant" in his title, I believe.

Some of Capers' comments today point to him taking on a pseudo-coordinator role:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/02/dom_capers_spea.html

Dom Capers speaks
Posted by Christopher L. Gasper, Globe Staff
February 22, 2008 02:30 PM

Former Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Dom Capers, whom the Patriots hired yesterday to replace Joel Collier as their secondary coach, held a conference call with the New England media today.

The former Carolina Panthers and Houston Texans head coach, who will also carry the title of special assistant in New England, expressed his admiration for Patriots coach Bill Belichick and said he would not have joined the Patriots staff if defensive coordinator Dean Pees wasn't comfortable with his addition.

"Dean and I went out to dinner my first night. I had a great visit with him, and like I said we have so many common acquaintances," said Capers. "Yes, I felt it would be a good working relationship. I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing it if that was not the case. I feel good about it."

Capers said he was looking forward to working with Pees, who has come under some fire since the Patriots' Super Bowl XLII collapse.

"Very much so, I've had a chance over the last few days to spend some time with Dean," said Capers. "I'm very impressed by Dean. He's a guy that's done a really good job every place that he's been. We got a lot of common friends in the business and I think they all hold him in very high regard."

Capers also said that having worked for Belichick disciple Nick Saban in Miami, he felt like he knew the Patriots coach even though he had never worked with him.

"During that time we would have a lot of discussions about Bill and that's where you feel familiar with Bill never having worked for him, having worked with Nick, who worked with Bill for quite a while," said Capers.

Capers didn't expound upon what his duties as special assistant would entail.

"I will be coaching the secondary and like I said I think we'll see how things go and what other things I can contribute I'll certainly be ready," said Capers. "I think the biggest thing is when you go into a new situation you try to figure out what your role is going to be and then you jump in and try to do the best job in that role that you can. I think one of the advantages of being a head coach for a number of years is that you always knew what you were looking for in assistants and hopefully I can be that guy."

Reading what he had to say got me even more excited about this move. Between BB, Capers & Pees, I'm picturing some sort of Jedi Council of Defense.

They have the talent, the draft picks, the cap $$, and the brains to put together one hell of a defense.

Think of what they're adding:

- Capers, and likely a new defensive philosophy, particularly in secondary
- Finally, a healthy Seymour, with a full TC - ready to dominant as he had in years past
- A healthy Colvin
- AD with one year under his belt - playing ILB, where he was strong during the first half of the season before the Colvin injury forced him outside
- High enough draft picks to make the loss of Asante go unnoticed
- Meriweather will completely upgrade the defense by drastically improving the speed and range of the safety group

This D is going to be sick.

Last edited:
We are currently about four players short of the quality defense you say is no problem getting. We need to replace the production of Samuel, Gay, Bruschi and Seau. Having draft picks is certainly no guarantee of quality contributers in year one.

Reading what he had to say got me even more excited about this move. Between BB, Capers & Pees, I'm picturing some sort of Jedi Council of Defense.

They have the talent, the draft picks, the cap $$, and the brains to put together one hell of a defense.

Think of what they're adding:

- Capers, and likely a new defensive philosophy, particularly in secondary
- Finally, a healthy Seymour, with a full TC - ready to dominant as he had in years past
- A healthy Colvin
- AD with one year under his belt - playing ILB, where he was strong during the first half of the season before the Colvin injury forced him outside
- High enough draft picks to make the loss of Asante go unnoticed
- Meriweather will completely upgrade the defense by drastically improving the speed and range of the safety group

This D is going to be sick.

We are currently about four players short of the quality defense you say is no problem getting. We need to replace the production of Samuel, Gay, Bruschi and Seau. Having draft picks is certainly no guarantee of quality contributers in year one.

Not one of the 4 players you have mentioned has moved on to this point, so replacing them has not yet become necessary.

Last edited:

Who says Bruschi & Seau aren't coming back? I'd guess we see at least one of them return.

Honestly, I didn't think Gay was very good this season - worst case scenario is Richardson plays nickel, but more likely whatever CB we draft on Day 1 gets that task.

Samuel was mildly overrated. Frankly, I'm sort of looking forward to parting ways with Asante (OK, mild exaggeration, but he's good as gone, so I'm going to rationalize it) as I associate him with the soft zone philosophy. He might flourish in it, but the rest of the D doesn't. Bring in Capers, change the style of D and go for a more aggressive approach. Hobbs is physical enough and good enough in coverage for it. Sign Law or some vet CB can come in alongside Hobbs. Draft pick/Richardson as nickel - keeping in mind you still have 3 talented safeties, Meriweather, Sanders & Harrison, which comes into play in the nick and dime packages.

So whatever losses we face, I still think the addition of Capers' brain, a healthy Sey, AD year 2, healthy Colvin and Meriweather as starting FS far outweigh those losses.

Last edited:
Samuel, sure. Gay ? JAG. Bru and Seau I would prefer not to lose but they're fairly replaceable at this point. There's always risk to new guys (read : Monty Beisel) but Samuel is the only big hole there to me.

hopefully, pats will fill our D holes up with good players.

If this means BB will spend sometime during the game coaching up the offense when they are sputtering then I'm all for it. I know BB is a defensive minded coach but it was really disheartening to see Brady being pummeled to the ground, while BB had his back turned and kept it turned talking to the defense. And that red hoodie...maybe I'm wrong but I swear I heard someone say it was to identify the signal caller? :eek: I never want to see that again...

BTW i do love this signing...Great news! :rocker:

Great news, best I've heard in a while. Still it's the front seven that will make the difference, hope Rosey can stay healthy this time.

Truly cannot wait till next season and just put the past few behind us.

i hope we have enough healthy backup players in every major position so that we can win all 19 games in 08.

i look forward to seeing #1 ranked O and D Pats in 08.

We definitely want to improve our offensive and defensive in this season because they were not good, especially defensive.

We definitely want to improve our offensive and defensive in this season because they were not good, especially defensive.

That's a great point. Not giving up a TD in 9-straight playoff quarters is a terrible defensive.

I think we have to get defensively offensive better and offensively on the defense a lot...too...also.

That's a great point. Not giving up a TD in 9-straight playoff quarters is a terrible defensive.

LMAO. I dunno what was better. Our D sucks or our fofense sucks? Worst 18-1 team everrrrrrrrrr:]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back