PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: McFarland out for year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the real question is if the replacements at DT and OT can hold their own and gel with the players around them. Essentially just avoid being a glaring weak link that requires adjustment from the rest of the unit to avoid disaster.

With this in mind, I think the Colts should be able to juggle their tackles reasonably well without impacting the overall offense (no long passes, keeping extra TE/RB in to protect, running to the opposite side, etc.). Not that I think Glenn's performance can be replaced this year...just that the Colt offense can absorb the relative drop in productivity from the LT without collapsing.

The situation at DT is a little more dicey. How many players will the Colts have to put in the box to compensate for DT? Will the DE's have to hesitate a half-second to avoid huge draw plays? Will the safeties have to make a living 5 yards from the line of scrimmage? Will this leave the new starters at corner on an island more they would like?

Remember the Pats were a "1992 Steve Martin" from potentially winning 4 in a row. Not that he was a bad player (ok, he was), but his inability to do what was expected of him forced the entire defensive unit to adjust.

The Colts face a litany of teams with solid running games + defenses good enough to prevent a shoot-out:

DEN, @JAX, @CAR, NE, @SD, JAX, @BAL

There is also a reasonable chance that the Colts will need to get through 2 or 3 of those AFC teams in the playoffs to get back to the SB. I'm not predicting the Colts will suck, but I'm also questioning the prevailing sentiment in the media that the Colts can withstand almost any loss (outside of Manning, Freeney and Sanders). They are paper-thin right now and will need some good fortune to have the type of season expected of them.

The JAX/CAR/NE/SD stretch is in consecutive weeks just after their bye. That gives them a reasonable amount of time to get everything sorted out. If they don't (and don't at least split those 4 games), that may be enough to cost them home field, first round bye or even their division. So look for how the overall Colt defense is performing in the 1st five games. Deep passes allowed, sacks, completion percentage, etc. If those opposing offenses seem comfortable, watch out.

A very good synopsis, Metaphor.

Personally, I think that its kind of funny how the Colts lose so many players who had medium to big roles in their run to the SB, yet, they are being predicted to repeat, while, the Pats actually lost less players and everyone was saying how they'd be lucky to finish 8-8 or 9-7 last year.

Personally, a LOT depends on the LT. Manning is an extremely good QB, but if Ugoh or Johnson can't step up and be adequate on a regular basis, then Manning isn't going to have the time to throw the ball that he needs. And, with the plethora of outstanding DEs that the Colts are going to face, its pretty certain that their entire offense hinges on that position. If Manning gets sacked more than 20-25 times this season, there's a good chance that he'll be disrupted enough where the offense won't click.

The LT position was also the side where the Colts ran the ball the best last year. With both Rhodes AND Addai.

So, a LOT is riding on Ugoh and/or Johnson.

Personally, a LOT depends on the LT. Manning is an extremely good QB, but if Ugoh or Johnson can't step up and be adequate on a regular basis, then Manning isn't going to have the time to throw the ball that he needs. And, with the plethora of outstanding DEs that the Colts are going to face, its pretty certain that their entire offense hinges on that position. If Manning gets sacked more than 20-25 times this season, there's a good chance that he'll be disrupted enough where the offense won't click.

All fair points. If that does happen, it could get nasty real quick. The defense isn't expected to be superior. If the offense underachieves and that results in a couple of bad loses, you know Manning has no problem throwing his OL under the bus.

A very good synopsis, Metaphor.

The LT position was also the side where the Colts ran the ball the best last year. With both Rhodes AND Addai.

So, a LOT is riding on Ugoh and/or Johnson.

I believe you are overestimating the importance of one position. Manning calls his own plays, if he see's Ugoh isn't handling pressure very well he will *shock* not run plays where the LT position will seriously compromise himself. When has Manning ever been sacked 20-25 times in a season??

I believe you are overestimating the importance of one position. Manning calls his own plays, if he see's Ugoh isn't handling pressure very well he will *shock* not run plays where the LT position will seriously compromise himself. When has Manning ever been sacked 20-25 times in a season??
There's only one way to gameplan to offset a bad LT in the passing game, that's to give him help which is a detriment to what they're trying to do. I'm not saying the LT will be bad, I have no clue, but the Colts will have to move protection over there if that's the case. On the running thing, DaBruinz' point was the stats say he was their better run blocker - that's why the RB had better success to that side.

1) How am I over-estimating the importance of the offensive tackle protecting Manning's blind-side?

2) I know that, for better or for worse, Manning calls his own plays. And when they fail its not his fault. Its always someone else's. Also, if Manning has to shift the play calling away from that side, it actually helps the defense because it limits Manning's options.

3) If the LT is failing, Manning won't have the time to run plays anywhere because he'll be on his back.

4) I said IF (do you understand what that word means) Manning gets sacked 20-25 times this season, there is a good chance he'll be disrupted enough where the offense won't click.

5) To answer your question since you don't know your own team, Manning was sacked more than 20 times in 98,2000,2001, and 2002.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/4256/

The Colts record those years: 3-13, 10-6, 6-10, 10-6. Respectively.
Its also interesting to note that 1998, 2001, and 2002, were Manning's worst years in terms of interceptions thrown.

Now, even if we discount 1998 and 2000 and just look at 2001 and 2002, we see that Manning had 53 TDs, 42 INTs and took 52 sacks.

BTW, If you look at last year's rookie OTs, the best one still allowed 5 sacks. IF Ugoh does unbelievably like McNeill, then there will be no worries. But I don't know if a guy like Ugoh can pick up all the correct blocking assignments in the Colts complicated offense that easily.

If he does, bully for the Colts. But, if not, then there'll be issues.

There's only one way to gameplan to offset a bad LT in the passing game, that's to give him help which is a detriment to what they're trying to do. I'm not saying the LT will be bad, I have no clue, but the Colts will have to move protection over there if that's the case. On the running thing, DaBruinz' point was the stats say he was their better run blocker - that's why the RB had better success to that side.

Exactly, BBFan.

5) To answer your question since you don't know your own team, Manning was sacked more than 20 times in 98,2000,2001, and 2002.

Its also interesting to note that 1998, 2001, and 2002, were Manning's worst years in terms of interceptions thrown.

Now, even if we discount 1998 and 2000 and just look at 2001 and 2002, we see that Manning had 53 TDs, 42 INTs and took 52 sacks.

To add: Completely speculative: Manning, deservedly, may also be feeling a little inflated (read NFL great ego, a la Favre?). When things start to go bad, when it is perceived as inconceivable; disbelief, chaos, frantic reaction results. Overcompensation = trouble.

Manning isn't superman, though he may be thinking such. Combine the two and other teams can capitalize.

1) How am I over-estimating the importance of the offensive tackle protecting Manning's blind-side?

2) I know that, for better or for worse, Manning calls his own plays. And when they fail its not his fault. Its always someone else's. Also, if Manning has to shift the play calling away from that side, it actually helps the defense because it limits Manning's options.

3) If the LT is failing, Manning won't have the time to run plays anywhere because he'll be on his back.

4) I said IF (do you understand what that word means) Manning gets sacked 20-25 times this season, there is a good chance he'll be disrupted enough where the offense won't click.

BTW, If you look at last year's rookie OTs, the best one still allowed 5 sacks. IF Ugoh does unbelievably like McNeill, then there will be no worries. But I don't know if a guy like Ugoh can pick up all the correct blocking assignments in the Colts complicated offense that easily.

If he does, bully for the Colts. But, if not, then there'll be issues.

Haha I love watching colts fans get destroyed with facts. Good work.

Hey Boomer you just got ruined. Do you watch the colts? Or just started to last year around playoff time?

As Peter King says in his column today regarding his pick of the Colts to repeat - "Uh oh!"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/08/07/colts/index.html

Of course I'm sure Colts fans are still whistling past the graveyard regarding this and Glenn's retirement, not to mention the free agent defections

I think they're deluding themselves a bit

Kindof reminds me of that line in Spinal Tap when the band learns that their Boston gig was cancelled, and their manager tells them "Don't worry, it's not like Boston's a big college town."

As Peter King says in his column today regarding his pick of the Colts to repeat - "Uh oh!"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/08/07/colts/index.html

Of course I'm sure Colts fans are still whistling past the graveyard regarding this and Glenn's retirement, not to mention the free agent defections

I think they're deluding themselves a bit

Kindof reminds me of that line in Spinal Tap when the band learns that their Boston gig was cancelled, and their manager tells them "Don't worry, it's not like Boston's a big college town."

I love it this way. The Colt's are toast. Dead. Done. Its over for the champs.

Meanwhile, the New England Awesomes are busy planning their trip to Arizona. In fact, the NFL is seriously considering cancelling the entire season and just giving the New England Awesomes the Lombardi Trophy now. I mean, why not? No one will beat them.:rocker:

:D

Seriously, going into the playoffs last year, no one gave us a shot so, this year is really no different.

Meanwhile, the New England Awesomes are busy planning their trip to Arizona. In fact, the NFL is seriously considering cancelling the entire season and just giving the New England Awesomes the Lombardi Trophy now. I mean, why not? No one will beat them.:rocker:

Seriously, going into the playoffs last year, no one gave us a shot so, this year is really no different.

WOW. Talk about making things up.

1) The Colts have a huge uphill battle for themselves this year with the losses of Glenn, Rhodes, June, Doss, Harper, and McFarland.

2) Pretty amazing how you basically copied what Pats fans said in 2003 and 2004 when people were talking about the Pats losing 2 or 3 starters.

3) Its a bold-faced lie that no one gave Indy a chance going into the play-offs. They had home field advantage.

As for Indy last year, you don't win if the game was called correctly. There were 3 incorrect calls made against the Pats during the AFCC Game. 3 calls that clearly change the course of the game. The 1st was the pass interference call on Hobbs for "FACE GUARDING". Hobbs received a letter of apology from the league AND the league's head of officiating stated there was no such thing as face guarding and there hasn't been for years. The 2nd was the offensive pass interference on Troy Brown. And the Last was the NON-CALL against Kelvin Hayden in the end zone where he CLEARLY made contact with Caldwell, CHANGING Caldwell's route and interfering with Caldwell's ability to adjust to the ball. That was a text book case of pass interference that went un-called.

You've got to be kidding me with this garbage. Indy has the media's lapdog for the last five years. Indy could have played the 85 Bears or the 93 Cowboys and the media would have picked them.

Do you really think that after losing your starting LT, your defensive backfield, and now McFarland that Indy is going to be "better" than last year? They should have lost the AFCCG and now NE has loaded up while the Colts have been weakened. Who in their right mind wouldn't see NE as a heavy favorite?

Plenty of people gave you a shot. Plenty of people picked Indy to win it all. Plenty of people picked indy to beat NE. The colts have suffered some serious losses. Spin it any way you like. The fact is the colts barley won one last year.

I am sure the loss of Simon and Mcfarland (plus all the other losses) wont hinder one of the worst defenses in history. The colts got lucky. I love the colts fans who spin these losses as no biggie. And colts fan call pats fan arrogent. At least we earned the right.

Last edited:
WOW. Talk about making things up.

1) The Colts have a huge uphill battle for themselves this year with the losses of Glenn, Rhodes, June, Doss, Harper, and McFarland.

Yeah, they do. I've never denied that. But, we had a huge uphill battle last year, remember? We lost what CHFF called the most productive running back in the history of the league, our best linebacker, our best DT to injury in preseason, our 2nd best DT tackle due to a car accident in midseason, not to mention the fact that our star safety only played in 2 games during the regular season.

3) Its a bold-faced lie that no one gave Indy a chance going into the play-offs. They had home field advantage.

Huh? Do you watch much football? The Colt's were the 3rd seed last year, behind SD and Balt.

As for Indy last year, you don't win if the game was called correctly. There were 3 incorrect calls made against the Pats during the AFCC Game. 3 calls that clearly change the course of the game. The 1st was the pass interference call on Hobbs for "FACE GUARDING". Hobbs received a letter of apology from the league AND the league's head of officiating stated there was no such thing as face guarding and there hasn't been for years. The 2nd was the offensive pass interference on Troy Brown. And the Last was the NON-CALL against Kelvin Hayden in the end zone where he CLEARLY made contact with Caldwell, CHANGING Caldwell's route and interfering with Caldwell's ability to adjust to the ball. That was a text book case of pass interference that went un-called.

Hahaha, here we go. The big bad zebras are out to get us. Give me a freakin break. It never ceases to amaze me when I see pats fans complaining about officiating. No one benefitted more from the officials than NE did during their super-bowl seasons, so get that junk outta here. Besides, the only OFFICIAL word I've heard on the Hobbs play was when the league's head official upheld the call after the game. I've heard nothing else from the league since then so, I'm inclined to believe that they haven't flip-flopped on that call.

Hahaha, here we go. The big bad zebras are out to get us. Give me a freakin break. It never ceases to amaze me when I see pats fans complaining about officiating. No one benefitted more from the officials than NE did during their super-bowl seasons, so get that junk outta here. Besides, the only OFFICIAL word I've heard on the Hobbs play was when the league's head official upheld the call after the game. I've heard nothing else from the league since then so, I'm inclined to believe that they haven't flip-flopped on that call.

The aid that NE got from officiating is terribly overblown. I will grant you that I had no idea that a "tuck" rule existed, so there is some luck in that. In the 2001 SB they were lucky that Martz had his head up his arse, but no officiating help.

In the 2003 AFCCG, Indy had 3 "completely obvious to the naked eye" type holds and two sanps that were three seconds after the play clock was at zero. Also, I would be willing to be my life on it that Indy got away with plenty of contact in the secondary. The officials let *everything* go. They were consistent. Additionally, I have pointed this out time and time again to Colt fans - ignored every time - that on the clear 4th down holding by Phifer, he grabs Pollards forearm because Pollard is using that arm to push off. Feel free to watch the highlights. It is clear as day, but no one bothers to pay any attention to it.

In 2004 NE received no aid whatsoever from the officials. None.

In 2005 they were on the wrong end of the worst officiated playoff game in history.

Now last year, I would gladly leave the issue alone except:

1) Polian was politicing for calls before the game.

2) The calls weren't consistent at all. Hobbs is called for just being near Wayne. Alright, I'll grant you that one. But Hayden literally grabbed Caldwell with two hands before the ball even appears on the screen, no call. And the defender initiated the contact on Brown. Weren't the officials supposed to be looking for illegal defensive contact?

3) The league formally apologized to Hobbs for the call.

I don't expect any Indy fans to feel bad about it. Neither the fact that NE got away with some stuff in 2003 not the tuck rule in 2001 dampened my pleasure of seeing NE win the SB. But Indy inarguably were the benefactors of some onesided officiating. No real reason to dispute the obvious. Just admit that it happened, stick out your toungue and say "Nah-nah-nah nah nah nnnaaaaaaaaaahhhhh" :p

Yeah, they do. I've never denied that. But, we had a huge uphill battle last year, remember? We lost what CHFF called the most productive running back in the history of the league, our best linebacker, our best DT to injury in preseason, our 2nd best DT tackle due to a car accident in midseason, not to mention the fact that our star safety only played in 2 games during the regular season.
Huge uphill battle? Ahaha Addi was a perfect replacement for the most productive rb in history. Who never helped you win jack when he played in Indy. Stop acting like there was no rushing attack :rolleyes: The colts suffered less injury then NE and a slew of other teams. Playoff time Sanders was fine. Boohoo lets look at NE's injurys last year. The colts got lucky, period.

Huh? Do you watch much football? The Colt's were the 3rd seed last year, behind SD and Balt.

Many people picked the colts to beat the pats and win it all.

Hahaha, here we go. The big bad zebras are out to get us. Give me a freakin break. It never ceases to amaze me when I see pats fans complaining about officiating. No one benefitted more from the officials than NE did during their super-bowl seasons, so get that junk outta here. Besides, the only OFFICIAL word I've heard on the Hobbs play was when the league's head official upheld the call after the game. I've heard nothing else from the league since then so, I'm inclined to believe that they haven't flip-flopped on that call.[/QUOTE]

Right, when the colts lose it is NE "benefiitting" from officials. When the colts get handed crap calls we are whining? Only a colts fan would claim there was no bull calls against the pats last year in that game. How about the steelers game vs the colts a few years ago. The colts could not win with calls going there way :rolleyes: Before last season all colts fans harped on was there recievers getting mugged and the big bad Zebras costing them games. Not there inability to win key football games in the playoffs. Indy lucked one off last year. Everyone knows it.

Last edited:
If there is one thing that could make me hate the Colts even more than I already do, it would be for them to sign Warren Sapp.

funny how everyone here forgets the mauling of the Colts receivers in their previous AFCCG meeting, I mean thats Pats mauled the receivers so bad the league had to re-inforce the rules based of of that one game

funny how everyone here forgets the mauling of the Colts receivers in their previous AFCCG meeting, I mean thats Pats mauled the receivers so bad the league had to re-inforce the rules based of of that one game

funny how those are some of the best officials calling that game. remember that the playoff officials are the best performing officials of that year. they knew what they were doing and called the game correctly. unless they actually formally admitted to calling the game incorrectly (like they did last championship game), they called the game right.

And when the pats "mauled" the receivers, it was just a few teams that had been pushing for the rule changes (like the colts and eagles); the minority. It wasn't like the commissioner decided to tweak the rules after watching the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back