SOURCE:Providence Journal

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Chiefs
Sun
Dec 8th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Tough Loss
Sunday night's loss in Houston was tough, leaving the Patriots with questions heading into this week's showdown against the Chiefs

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

OT: McFarland out for year?

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by DougGabriel2007, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captain stone

captain stone Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +8,733
    Terrific pictures. Kinda says it all, I think.

2. Peytonsbetter

Peytonsbetter On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1
    It did affect Reggies ability to go after the ball. As Reggie turns and reaches up for the ball, his hand hits Hobbs' facemask, BEFORE the ball gets there. Since Hobbs is not even looking for the ball, THATS A PENALTY. Thats the way the rule is written.

I'll give you the Caldwell call, although I thought they ruled it an uncatchable pass, which is why there was no penalty. I could be wrong.

I agree on the faceguarding call. There is no such thing as faceguarding, which, I'm assuming is why the NFL apologized to Hobbs. However, as Greg Aiello pointed out, Hobbs DID make contact, therefore he was rightfully flagged for PI.

Untrue. Sorry, but thats just false. Reggie CLEARLY, and I mean CLEARLY turned around and went for the ball.

3. Peytonsbetter

Ratings:
    +1
    *sigh* I'm not blindly defending anything. There's nothing to defend. The right call was made, which was PI. I've heard no one except Vic Ketchmann, Ellis Hobbs and a whole lot of Patriots fans say otherwise.

This is my guess- the league apologized to Ellis Hobbs for improperly describing the penalty as "faceguarding" when no such rule exists. Just a thought.

As for Ketchmann, he despises the Colt's as only a native Baltimorean can. Plus, he's a writer for the Jags, which makes him hate us even more.

4. Peytonsbetter

Ratings:
    +1
    Its just a game, friend. Not life or death. sheesh.

In a lot of ways, Polian reminds me of Rodney Harrison. If he's on the other team, you loathe him, if he's on yours, you love him. One thing you can't deny is, they're BOTH very good at what they do.

5. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,615
    Yes, Bill Polian is such a good GM. He throws temper tantrums regularly in the press box, threatens employees of other teams, and wishes that serious harm would be fall players of other teams. If that is what it means to be a good GM, then I will take Pioli every single time.

6. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13
    And yet you've presented absolutely no evidence to support your POV.

Watch the play over, as I did yesterday. It's completely obvious that Hobbs didn't make contact with Wayne (besides a swipe with his fingers) until the ball had bounced off Hobbs' chest and to the turf.

7. Bo0MeR

Bo0MeR Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    Does it really matter? Have you tried Getting over it? Does that have any affect on your teams play this season? does whining about the call every single day and starting multiple page threads with more whining going to reverse the play??? Do bad calls happen during every single play during every single game for every season? Have the Patriots had more than therir fair share of bad calls where they ended up benefiting from them?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  8. pats1

Ratings:
    +13
    For your viewing pleasure:

[​IMG]

9. pats1

Ratings:
    +13
    All he had to do was admit the Colts benefited greatly from two botched calls (Hobbs PI, Caldwell non-PI) and I would have been happy.

10. Bo0MeR

Bo0MeR Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you need that to be happy? When the Pats were getting call after call that was benefitiing their run did other posters from other boards come and make you admit to it happening for their piece of mind? Is him even "admitting" anything (which is objective based on your opinion) going to change anything? Or is it just a small victory you are trying to gain from a Colts fan.

Here's something, it was a bad call. Are you happy? Do you feel better now? Maybe the conversation can end.

And while you're posting videos here's one more for you to review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDwVqWQ7k9I

11. Oswlek

Oswlek Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +7,065
    The Pats did get away with some rough stuff in the the 2003 AFCCG as well as the 2001 SB. In both of those games the calls were consistent and didn't involve BB and SP politicing for calls the day before the game.

Since then the only game that NE was on the good side of lousy officiating was last year against Minny. There were two or three plays where I just cringed at the calls against the Vikings. Frankly, since the AFCCG it seems as if the refs go out of their way to ensure that NE does *not* get the calls. You can call me a homer if you want, but I know that what I am saying is the truth.

People give the officials *way* too much credit for having much influence at all in NE's wins. And the only thing I ask is that Indy fans admit that the calls were clearly biased in their direction and that the refs overlooked a terrible PI play after their own GM asked them to watch that facet specifically. I'll admit that the loss still bothers me, but the act of discussing it doesn't mean that I or anyone else obsesses over it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  12. pats1

Ratings:
    +13
    Like what?

The tuck rule was called correctly.

The only bad call in the 2001 SB was the extra 2 seconds that were allowed to run off the clock.

NaPolian didn't push for the chuck rule until after the 2003/4 AFCCG.

And so you're basically saying the Pats have stayed ahead of the curve?

13. workhorse

workhorse Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +4
    Hey, did you guys hear that Booger is out for the year?

14. BelichickFan

BelichickFan TB12, BB = G.O.A.T.s PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,613
    LMAO. I'm just glad I've moved on from last year. Never watched the game again never will. Did the Colts get some huge calls? Yes. But they were at home, it happens. That's what we get for losing to the Jets in regular season. We also could have made some plays to win despite the calls. That's why you want HF, though, winning on the road is tough and the officials are one of the reasons.

15. pats1

Ratings:
    +13
    The Jets loss didn't bother me as much as the Dolphins loss. They win that one and everything could be different.

16. Oswlek

Ratings:
    +7,065
    NO! :eek: :eek:

Attached Files:

17. Oswlek

Ratings:
    +7,065
    Wouldn't the same differences apply of NE won the Jet game? :confused:

18. pats1

Ratings:
    +13
    Right, but the Dolphins were a baaaaad team. Getting shut out by them was unacceptable.

19. Oswlek

Ratings:
    +7,065
    I think that Miami was as good as NY from the Chicago game on. And Miami always gets up for the NE game there.

20. Vern

Vern Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0
    The Miami loss was one of "just a bad day" type things we seem to have once a year. Easy to brush off having a horrible all around day.

The Jets game was a winnable game that even though playing flat, we still had it in our hands and just blew it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.