PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: McFarland out for year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Miami loss was one of "just a bad day" type things we seem to have once a year. Easy to brush off having a horrible all around day.

The Jets game was a winnable game that even though playing flat, we still had it in our hands and just blew it.

:yeahthat: :agree: :ditto: :beersign:

And yet you've presented absolutely no evidence to support your POV.

Watch the play over, as I did yesterday. It's completely obvious that Hobbs didn't make contact with Wayne (besides a swipe with his fingers) until the ball had bounced off Hobbs' chest and to the turf.

The evidence is on the video. Thats all there is to it. I've watched the play 100 times, including at least 3 times today. There were two separate instances of contact between Hobbs and Wayne, before the ball got there.

Now, I will say this. If Hobbs had been making an effort to turn and make a play on the ball, it wouldn't have been a penalty. However, he wasn't playing the ball and he made contact with the receiver before the ball got there.

Thats a textbook example of pass interference, according to the RULES.

I respect your opinion and I can see how our football allegiances might possibly affect our judgement, but I truly beleive that the right call was made. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, ok?

Peace.:rocker:

The evidence is on the video. Thats all there is to it. I've watched the play 100 times, including at least 3 times today. There were two separate instances of contact between Hobbs and Wayne, before the ball got there.

Now, I will say this. If Hobbs had been making an effort to turn and make a play on the ball, it wouldn't have been a penalty. However, he wasn't playing the ball and he made contact with the receiver before the ball got there.

Thats a textbook example of pass interference, according to the RULES.

I respect your opinion and I can see how our football allegiances might possibly affect our judgement, but I truly beleive that the right call was made. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, ok?

Peace.:rocker:

What rules? There's no such thing as "faceguarding" in the NFL rulebook. He never made contact with Wayne before the ball was dead - there's absolutely nothing in the rulebook that enforces a penalty for that.

This play should have been ruled as if Hobbs was equidistant from Peyton to Wayne (i.e. a DL or LB). But it wasn't. The referees erred. And it wasn't the only time in the game.

(In other words, what would have the ruling been if Bruschi jumped from his normal position, and the pass hit his left upper arm as it did to Hobbs?)

What rules? There's no such thing as "faceguarding" in the NFL rulebook. He never made contact with Wayne before the ball was dead - there's absolutely nothing in the rulebook that enforces a penalty for that.

Wow, this is still an active argument? I thought that it was pretty clear about the two PI mishaps in that game.

One was called PI when it wasn't. The other was PI but wasn't called.

I don't see how anyone can argue that.

:shrug:

Wow, this is still an active argument? I thought that it was pretty clear about the two PI mishaps in that game.

One was called PI when it wasn't. The other was PI but wasn't called.

I don't see how anyone can argue that.

:shrug:

Completely agree. I made that point 7 months ago and I still make it today.

I am completely aware that there is no penalty for faceguarding in the NFL, I've never said there was.

My issue with your opinion is that this,

He never made contact with Wayne before the ball was dead

Is completely and totally false. Like I said, the video doesn't lie, unless you've got Patriot colored glasses on. Had Hobbs not made contact before the ball got there then I would agree with you. However, he did, therefore he was rightfully penalized for pass interference.

Simple, really.

This play should have been ruled as if Hobbs was equidistant from Peyton to Wayne (i.e. a DL or LB). But it wasn't. The referees erred. And it wasn't the only time in the game.

(In other words, what would have the ruling been if Bruschi jumped from his normal position, and the pass hit his left upper arm as it did to Hobbs?)
Dude flat out got beat, Manning put the ball on the money, why should NE and Hobbs benefit under those circumstances. It's not a matter of face guarding, it's a matter of the guy being beat, and having no idea where they hell the ball was.

Was it your young LBer who pulled on Clark's left elbow in the end zone (PI) that prevented a TD and Colts settled for a FG.

Did the officials REALLY call a force out when Gaffney was toeing the line in the back of the end zone for the entire play? NO WAY Gaffney comes down in bounds if they lay no hands on him. The way he caught it, the position of his legs and body show that clearly he comes down out of bounds on his back and ASS before hos right foot even has a chance to come down in bounds. HORRIBLE CALL, and a GIFT!

The thing I liked was the 69 yards, 3 plays in 24 seconds at the end. Of course, 32 second half points ain't bad either, against such a vaunted defense.

I'd game plan NOW for the Colts if I am BB.

Good luck, Patsies ;

I agree. I think part of the gameplan will be NOT to travel to San Diego and back the week before the Indy game. Flu shots for the team will also be a key component of the plan. In the spirit of sportsmanship, I hear the team will send a representative to check the thermostat in the dome before the game (you have no idea how difficult it is to keep a dome in Indiana from getting excessively warm during the fall and winter months).

All kidding aside, the Colts deserved to win simply because the Pats didn't take advantage of the opportunities that they had (much like SD the week before). However, the circumstances around this year's game are likely to be a little different. Pats coming off a home date with Washington and Colts coming home from a roady at Jags and Panthers...and facing a roady to San Diego.

That being said, health will obviously be the key factor. Given full participation from both teams, I think the game will look more like the 1st half of the AFCC game than the 2nd half.

I don't even know why this is still being discussed...

THE LEAGUE ADMITTED IT WAS A BAD CALL. Unless Hobbs was lying about the apology.

End of story.

I am completely aware that there is no penalty for faceguarding in the NFL, I've never said there was.

My issue with your opinion is that this,

Is completely and totally false. Like I said, the video doesn't lie, unless you've got Patriot colored glasses on. Had Hobbs not made contact before the ball got there then I would agree with you. However, he did, therefore he was rightfully penalized for pass interference.

Simple, really.

Show me the f'in contact! Where is it? WHERE IS IT?

You're lying out of your ass.

What body part of Hobbs touches what body part of Wayne at what point? Tell me!

Show me the f'in contact! Where is it? WHERE IS IT?

You're lying out of your ass.

What body part of Hobbs touches what body part of Wayne at what point? Tell me!

As Reggie is turning for the ball, Hobbs' right hand brushes Reggies arm as Reggie is raising it to reach for the ball. It's as plain as day.

Then, as Reggie turn's and leaps for the ball, Hobbs' momentum carries him forward to where his facemask makes contact with Reggie's arm, a split second before the ball gets there.

Again, watch it closely. Pause it in the split second before the ball hits Hobbs and you can see by Reggies reaction that Hobbs has already made contact. Instead of continuing to raise his arms for the ball, he stops because Hobbs runs into him.

And, btw, I'm not lying. My eyes do not lie to me. Sorry if seeing the truth is so upsetting to you.

:rolleyes:
Dude flat out got beat, Manning put the ball on the money, why should NE and Hobbs benefit under those circumstances. It's not a matter of face guarding, it's a matter of the guy being beat, and having no idea where they hell the ball was.

Was it your young LBer who pulled on Clark's left elbow in the end zone (PI) that prevented a TD and Colts settled for a FG.

Did the officials REALLY call a force out when Gaffney was toeing the line in the back of the end zone for the entire play? NO WAY Gaffney comes down in bounds if they lay no hands on him. The way he caught it, the position of his legs and body show that clearly he comes down out of bounds on his back and ASS before hos right foot even has a chance to come down in bounds. HORRIBLE CALL, and a GIFT!

The thing I liked was the 69 yards, 3 plays in 24 seconds at the end. Of course, 32 second half points ain't bad either, against such a vaunted defense.

Good luck, Patsies ;

The pats are so worried!!!!! The colts will go 10 6 this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye