PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: McFarland out for year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do they go after "Tank"?

Last year if Harper/David got hurt then Jackson/Hayden could come in and be just as effective......what now?

Daymeion Hughes, Tim Jennings, Michael Coe and T.J Rushing as depth. Coe and Hughes are rookies. Jennings was our 2nd round pick last year and Rushing was on the practice squad(I think) last year.

Young players would have to step up, but I guess thats what you're implying.:D

I honestly feel terrible for the player, playing football is how the man provides for his family, and I never like to see the word serious linked to the word injury. Ever.

That said, like Yankee fans in the 2004 ALCS, I hope the Dolts fans squirm all year long, enough bad things can't happen to them.

Screw em all.

They're going to try to win with a former 6th rounder who only started due to an injury to the veteran starter at a key position? And a strong safety coming back from a knee injury? They are doomed. I don't think any team has ever won in that situation.

Wait a minute...

:rolleyes:

Bethea BEAT OUT Mike Doss in preseason last year, thats how he got the job. Doss hurt himself around midseason on ST's I think.

As for Mcfarland, if its true(and it looks like it is), its HUGE. Hopefully, we can find someone, somewhere, who can help out. And no, I'm not endorsing Tank freakin Johnson.

Remember though, we lost a Pro-Bowl DT in preseason last year, lost Montae Reagor early on and still won the Super-Bowl so all hope is not lost.

I can't wait to see our offense. If whoever steps in at LT can play decently, we have a chance to be VERY good, IMO. *crosses fingers*:D

I can't wait to see our offense. If whoever steps in at LT can play decently, we have a chance to be VERY good, IMO. *crosses fingers*:D
Well duh, you always are. However we match up better now with Meriweather and Gonzalez basically zeroing each other out but Adalius Thomas giving us a LB who can actually cover Clark.

And Marvin is 35 (in 20 days) - one of these years that f*cker will start to show his age . . . won't he ? :confused:

they could always offer a 2nd rounder in 08 to oakland for sands, but not sure oakland would do that deal.

:rolleyes:

Bethea BEAT OUT Mike Doss in preseason last year, thats how he got the job. Doss hurt himself around midseason on ST's I think.

As for Mcfarland, if its true(and it looks like it is), its HUGE. Hopefully, we can find someone, somewhere, who can help out. And no, I'm not endorsing Tank freakin Johnson.

Remember though, we lost a Pro-Bowl DT in preseason last year, lost Montae Reagor early on and still won the Super-Bowl so all hope is not lost.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing Glenn, though obviously it's a downgrade. Manning has really come a long way in his pocket presence. It used to be that if you could get anywhere near him, his pass would be off. Last year it looked like he had greatly improved in the Tom Brady art of avoiding the rush by sidestepping and such. Worst case scenario, you can simply put a TE on that side to help out.

Gonzalez is perfect for Indy much like Welker is perfect for New England. Both players would have been questionable pickups for other teams (you using the #32 pick and us trading a 2nd rounder) but for our teams they're just perfect fits.

As for you saying the Colts offense has a chance to be VERY good, I agree with BelichickFan, "Well duh."

If the Colts offense hasn't been "VERY good" yet, the rest of the league is screwed. :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about losing Glenn, though obviously it's a downgrade. Manning has really come a long way in his pocket presence. It used to be that if you could get anywhere near him, his pass would be off. Last year it looked like he had greatly improved in the Tom Brady art of avoiding the rush by sidestepping and such. Worst case scenario, you can simply put a TE on that side to help out.

Good point. His pocket awareness is MUCH better now than it was even 2 years ago. Used to be, if you hit him hard a few times early, he wouldn't be the same for the rest of the game. He still gets happy feet occasionally, but, he seems to be much more accurate when he does.

Gonzalez is perfect for Indy much like Welker is perfect for New England. Both players would have been questionable pickups for other teams (you using the #32 pick and us trading a 2nd rounder) but for our teams they're just perfect fits.

Yeah, hopefully Gonzo can be our Brandon Stokely from 04, giving us 4 legitimate downfield threats at any time. Of course, that year didn't end so well for us, as you Pats fans can attest.:D

they could always offer a 2nd rounder in 08 to oakland for sands, but not sure oakland would do that deal.

If you're referring to Sapp, I agree. He actually had a good year last year, the Raiders are rebuilding and he would probably love to play for Tony again.

Having said that, a 2nd rounder is, IMO, WAY to much for him. I was thinking 4th or possibly 5th. The man is 34 years old. Of course, since reports have Al Davis as little more than a drooling vegetable these days, its impossible to predict what he would want.

I predict they'll wait and see who gets cut in the coming weeks. There are usually a few decent guys who get cut for cap reasons. Maybe they will include a decent DT.:)

If you're referring to Sapp, I agree. He actually had a good year last year, the Raiders are rebuilding and he would probably love to play for Tony again.

Having said that, a 2nd rounder is, IMO, WAY to much for him. I was thinking 4th or possibly 5th. The man is 34 years old. Of course, since reports have Al Davis as little more than a drooling vegetable these days, its impossible to predict what he would want.

I predict they'll wait and see who gets cut in the coming weeks. There are usually a few decent guys who get cut for cap reasons. Maybe they will include a decent DT.:)

Yeah, back in 2003 we got Ted Washington during training camp for only a 4th rounder. Sapp for a 2nd would be insane and an act of absolute desperation.

no i meant sands, terdell sands, the guy has potential in this league but plays behind sapp , sapp's probably a good idea too, not sure how much his contract is and all that.

Saw this on a Colts thread and I'm pretty sure it was by Colts fans who said they heard the news on a local TV station.

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=nfl&id=ind&tid=1205114&lid=3

If its true, big blow to the Colts DL as he was their 2nd best player during their D being flatout dominant in the playoffs last year....

ESPN message boards don't tend to have the highest level of reliability or intelligence though so not sure.

Yep-Manning BARELY got that ring RIGHT before their window officially closed.

LT-retired

THREE DTs GONE

OL getting old

LB and DB positions depleted

New Orleans is going to KILL them on 9/6.

Good point. His pocket awareness is MUCH better now than it was even 2 years ago. Used to be, if you hit him hard a few times early, he wouldn't be the same for the rest of the game. He still gets happy feet occasionally, but, he seems to be much more accurate when he does.

I have to disagree. Ugoh in the LT position has a major effect on your offense. The spot is being vacated by a perennial pro bowler. Someone who could take on the best DE/DT/LB's in the league, and win that battle one on one. Ugoh may be "competent", but he will not immediately be the player that was there. This will mean that he will get beat more often, flushing PM from the pocket. The pocket will collapse faster, and a TE will be needed more often to help. All of these have effects on the way the O operates. Less TE's down the field for targets. The run game could suffer somewhat, as he learns the blocking scheme. Of any group on a team, O-line cohesiveness is the most critical.
PM is a great QB. My one criticism of him through the years is he has flustered easily..Happy feet as you said (Perhaps he's past that now, he seemed to scramble better last year) when pressure is applied. This could change the whole dynamic of the O.

Is it a disaster? of course not...another chink out of the wall that is already hit by high turnover on D, and some critical injuries.

I have to disagree. Ugoh in the LT position has a major effect on your offense.
I agree with your disagreement. Just because a QB has good pocket presence doesn't nullify the importance of the OL. Maybe there will be no OL dropoff - but if there is, it's a major factor. It's the difference between a sack and just getting the ball off. The difference in having to release the ball a split second earlier. The difference between having to keep a TE in to help block and leave less options downfield.

If the LT isn't as capable, and we don't know yet if that's true, it's pure lunacy to think it's a non factor.

The thing about Indy getting Sapp is Davis will have unrealistic expectations on his value and will probably cost a second when all is said and done and may not get done until the trade deadline.

People writing Indy's epitaph over a few lost players is as silly as when it's happened to the Pats in the past (Law, Milloy, Adam, Willie...). They still have the core so they're going to be a really good team. Minus losing Manning I don't think that will change this year. And why do we all want them to fall of the map? I for one don't I'd much rather beat them in the AFC Championship game in a classic.

I do think the depth is a concern in spots for them more this year than others and if they lose Addai for instance there's no Rhodes, or last year if Harper went down Marlin Jackson could hop in, etc. They almost have an 05 Patriots feel to them where they need everything to break right to be a one or two seed and contend for another title but they'll be a playoff team for sure.

LT-retired

THREE DTs GONE

OL getting old

Yep, that's right. Go ahead and right them off.

LT-retired

THREE DTs GONE

OL getting old

that won't happen, cause the nfc sucks, and NO can't beat afc opponents

I hope the Colts get Sapp. Can you imagine finding a way to dislike that team any more that we already do? I can honestly say that I may not like Manning, but I respect him. I don't like, nor do I respect Warren Sapp. I hope they get him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes