PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Eagles fans want Hobbs out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean McDermott could be on his way out in Philly | ProFootballTalk.com

Andy Reid always has his scapegoats in waiting. The late Jimmy Johnson was always the little engine behind the Eagles limted success. Looks like their pass rush died with him. Reid is the root of the problem on every level. Hiring JJ to handle his defense was probably the only brilliant move he's ever made despite what a fawning media always tried to claim. He managed to squander that gift too over time, along with poor old Donovan's best years, but now that the only real genius in Philly is gone there is nothing to save his over rated HC ass.

I always used to cringe when mediots compared the successful model here with the model there. No comparison what so ever...

Hobbs got way too much flak on this forum. He was a solid #2 corner and excellent return man. So, yeah, I would be happy to have him back.

Do you really think BB would give up a solid #2 corner and a exellent return man for 2 5th round picks? Because that's what they got for Hobbs.

He should not be starting in this league

There is a reason BB traded him to Philly for a 5th round pick with a year left on his deal. He may have been a serviceable #2 or even a decent slot DB, but his mouth never equaled the production.

So no, I do not want him back.

Last edited:
Do you really think BB would give up a solid #2 corner and a exellent return man for 2 5th round picks? Because that's what they got for Hobbs.

He should not be starting in this league

Do you really think that BB would give up a Hall of Fame WR for a 4th round pick? Because thats what they got from Moss.

Do you really think that BB would give up a Hall of Fame WR for a 4th round pick? Because thats what they got from Moss.

Moss was in a contract year and probably wanted one final big pay day, and aged 33. Hobbs was entering the "prime" of his career. Apples and oranges.

I will hobbs back if is cut.
He knows the system and also gives us some depth. His speed is actually benefical if you put in the Slot.

Just because he cannot be a No1 cornor does not mean he cannot be a No2 or No3.

Next year with bodden back he will be the 3rd or 4th.He has also experience playing outside which might help if some one gets nicked up. No one can argue to put whillite in there if the outside guys got nicked.

Moss was in a contract year and probably wanted one final big pay day, and aged 33. Hobbs was entering the "prime" of his career. Apples and oranges.

Hobbs was in a contract year, and probably looking for his first big pay day.

Hobbs was in a contract year, and probably looking for his first big pay day.

Situation was slightly similar with Hobbs. He wanted an extension or more money and the Pats didn't think he was worth it so they moved him.

Randy also wanted an extension for I assume big dollars and the Pats didn't think he was worth it.

In both situations, the team felt that they were going to lose the player in FA and made the determination that a trade for X pick would be greater than a compensatory pick.

In both situations, the team felt that they would still be able to win football games.

Last edited:
For better or worse, Belichick has a habit of dumping players in their contract years if he does not expect to extend them. Belichick would rather have the draft choice than one year of service from the player.

That being said, Hobbs was not a great starting corner. HOWEVER, he was and is a better corner than anyone we have playing now, with the possible exception of McCourty. McCourty definitely WILL BE better, but he has a lot to learn.

You can all judge whether we needed Hobbs or Ohrnberger more. To me, it was a no brainer to keep Hobbs as a kick returner and even as a #4 corner.

To those who think that keeping a player for one year isn't what Belichick does, I would suggest they look at list of players Belichick has traded for, who were in the last year of their contracts.

So, in the end one must conclude that Hobbs, Seymour, Thomas, Maroney and the others simply weren't judged to be worth what we received.
====================================

I'd welcome back Hobbs or even Gay in a heartbeat. As was the case with Tully and Branch, I suspect that Belichick would welcome them back also.
======

Last edited:
Hobbs got way too much flak on this forum. He was a solid #2 corner and excellent return man. So, yeah, I would be happy to have him back.

Same, he's better than arrington. And he always stepped it up in the playoffs(okay it's plaxico burress guys he's a foot taller than him).

The thread is proof that Eagles fans are as emotionally stupid about players as many Pats fans are. Haven't watched EH III play this year but I'd take him back in a flash. Better than our starter Arrington and would give us depth at an oft injured position.

Agree with Mo that Reid is one of those HCs loved by the media but a consistent underperformer.

Last edited:
The thread is proof that Eagles fans are as emotionally stupid about players as many Pats fans are. Haven't watched EH III play this year but I'd take him back in a flash. Better than our starter Arrington and would give us depth at an oft injured position.

If you haven't seen him play this year, how could you possibly make that claim?

Same, he's better than arrington. And he always stepped it up in the playoffs(okay it's plaxico burress guys he's a foot taller than him).

Height doesn't matter when your falling to the ground :(

Agree with Mo that Reid is one of those HCs loved by the media but a consistent underperformer.

May be a little hard on Reid and the Eagles. Losing JJ was a blow for sure, but last year they did go 11-5 and finished in the top 1/3rd in total defense w/o JJ. They should still go 10-6 or so this year. Overall since 2000, they've played in 5 conference championship games. It's decent success over a long period of time. Not sure if that record constitutes the title of underperformer.

Obviously there is no comparison to the Pats on all levels.

Last edited:
Hobbs isn't a below average corner.

According to Rivers he's the worst corner in the league.

I'd take him back for depth, but this is all 'land of make believe' talk anyway. Just because some fans want him out doesn't mean anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST