PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dolphins Owner Steven Ross Suspended, Picks Forfeited, For Tampering With Brady, Payton

Maybe I am simple minded, but to me this issue is simple: Brady should not have been talking to Miami during the season. THE END.

Did it hurt the Pats that year? My inclination is yes, but who knows and to what extent if any. But I sure as hell know that it did not help the Pats, AND it's a bad look, not to mention a contract violation.

I'm irked now but will probably forget about it if the bastard ever actually retires.

Im saying when you are having discussions with a competitor team trying to turn you against your own team, and apparently being very successful at it, from comments made at the time and what happened after, and you play thr worst football of your life, it’s probably related.
What evidence is there that Miami was "trying to turn Brady against New England"? They were trying to recruit him for future employment. The Miami ownership wanted Flores to throw games in 2019 so they weren't also trying to sabotage New England's season. Brady's relationship with New England was irretrievably damaged by their direct contract negotiations and Brady's impression that he was being slighted by the team one too many times. Miami was trying to recruit Brady for 2020, and considering Brady blew them off and signed with another team, he obviously wasn't that impressed with the conversations at the time.

I'd have to consider this more from the perspective of a Buccaneers fan, which I'm not (my loyalty is with Brady only), however I'd probably be very slightly annoyed with Brady but then I would remember the Super Bowl title he instantaneously brought to my team and I'd quickly get over it. New England fans have no cause for any ill feelings toward Brady, considering the decision to part ways with the team was cemented prior to any fruitless conversations with Miami, and the unprecedented success he brought to the team. By the end of the 2019 season that particular team did not look championship caliber... not Brady, not the "Boogeymen", not the coaching staff... 0% related to phone calls that only Brady was privy to.

So in your mind what he did in 2019 tarnishes what came before. I really disagree with that.
You talking to me here? Because I never said any such thing. I don't believe "what he did" even tarnishes his 2019 season with the Patriots.

they had him over a barrel ... he extended to drop his cap hit... they weaponized that act against him
Good for Tampa Bay... holding Brady to his contractual obligation. More than what the Patriots did for their franchise... once they made the mistake of not extending Brady on a multi-year deal they should have at least made sure they got compensation for him. The no franchise clause only could have worked in Brady's favor so it made no sense for the Patriots, which I said too in 2019. For Brady's sake I'm glad they did it but from the perspective of a Patriots fan it was dumb (and that's not on Brady).

Wrong! Brady starting skipping OTAs in 2018 and they won the Super Bowl... THE SUPER BOWL!
Sat out tons of practices? I'm sure you're exaggerating. I don't even remember this being a thing at the time.

Brady first half of season 2019: 14 TDs & 4 INTs
Brady second half of season 2019: 11 TDs & 4 INTs

Not much difference there.

The team started out the 2019 season 8-0!
They lost to Baltimore in the midst of Baltimore winning 12 games in a row. Baltimore had the best record in the NFL that season.
They lost to Kansas City who won their last 9 games including the Super Bowl.
They lost to Houston with Brady throwing for 326 yards and 3 TDs... Houston had 4 passing TDs and Watson had 140 passer rating.
They lost to Miami after Brady had given them a 4-point lead late in the fourth quarter. The defense couldn't stop Fitzpatrick who was 9 for 13 on the game-winning drive. And I'm still waiting for Bill to call a timeout in this game.
They lost to Tennessee with Tannehill having 72 passing yards... the defense was helpless trying to stop Derrick Henry.

Oh by the way the new Patriot Way is tanking in December & January:
2019: 2-4
2020: 2-3
2021: 2-4
Total: 6-11

Seems like a trend. And Brady wasn't there for the last two.

So yes, the PROOF that Brady's conversations with Miami effected the scoreboard or the team's winning percentage in 2019. Because when you really look at it, and you don't just seize upon a moment to ridicule the most important player in the history of the franchise, you'll see there is NO proof whatsoever. They lost to better teams, or in a game in which Brady played well, or in a game in which the defense collapsed in the end, or in a game in which they got steamrolled by a single running back. And on top of all that they tanked the end of the season just like 2020 with Cam and 2021 with Mac.

Brady hasn't quit on a season or even a single play in his entire career. No other player in the history of professional sports has exhibited the dedication and commitment to excellence like TB12.
I still don't get why there had to be a separate Brady thread because of all the complaints but it's ok to trash the guy here. Look at how these 'fans' are talking about him now, after all he's done for them. No wonder pros don't want to come here.

The KC loss was mainly due to a horrible call.

Anyway, back on the topic of Miami* tampering. I'm surprised that I haven't seen it here among all the Brady bashing, but this was the second time that the Fins* have lost picks for tampering. The first time was in 1970 when they paid the largest fine in NYFL history after tampering with the Colts to get Don Shula* to join them. That violation led to the Fins* undefeated season in 1972. That's why when Shula* (RIP) chimed in about giving the Pats an asterisk if they went 19-0 in 2007, many of the Fins* players from that 72 team* got him to quiet down.

Tampa Bay... another franchise that Brady made relevant. Pretty impressive for two seasons. They should be kissing his a** that he's coming back for a third.
I think they are kissing his a** that he's back. He helped turn that team around.

The way I see it is that Brady and his agent thought that Brady was free to leave TB after last year. I know all the Brady bashers want to call that a retirement but he never said he was retiring. That was why he said goodbye to TB only and not NE. Of course the Brady bashers even turned that into a bash-o-rama, acting like Brady was insulting the team. Then they whined because he liked the weather in Florida better. What a place.

Cam Newton explains that,but even with him it wasn’t much worse than the 2019 second half. Cam did the same isn’t exactly a feather in anyones cap.
Mac Jones rookie year the patriots score 42 more points than Tom Brady’s last year.
Are you really trying to compare the Pats teams from 2019 and 2021 while ignoring the 8-0 start in 2019. That's a load of horsesh!t.

Who knew that the tricecta of PatJew, Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock was all that was needed to heal a fractured Patsfans.com. Haha.
And you too, bro! What a foursome…

Brady did the Pats & and Mr Kraft one last solid by stringing along Ross to the point of tampering when he had no intention of ever signing there anyway.

Chess v Checkers

I remain unconvinced BB wanted him. His energy and commitment to the team was less.

It's more likely BB, Bob provided lip service in terms of wanting Tom to stay.

I think they were done with each other. Belichick’s a tough guy to play for, Brady lasted much longer than any other player with him, and it’s not surprising he wanted to finish his career somewhere else. But Breer is wrong, they didn’t use Brady’s draft status in their deals, but they did get him to take less because of his desire to win championships. And as far as Belichick goes I think he was ready to move on from Brady because he wants to build a great team before hanging them up, and shoot for another Lombardi and the Wins record over Shula. He knew it would take 4-5 years to get them to that point and he didn’t want to wait until he’s 75 to start that rebuild.

They both got what they wanted.

I still don't get why there had to be a separate Brady thread because of all the complaints but it's ok to trash the guy here. Look at how these 'fans' are talking about him now, after all he's done for them. No wonder pros don't want to come here.

Separate brady forum you mean? because he no longer a patriot. he plays for another team. Patsfans.com, not Pats&Bucsfans.com

And what, lol? what's he done for "us"? He hasn't done jack **** for us. Everything hes done, he's done for himself... no one else. You think we need to feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude because he won multiple Lombardis, that he is immune to criticism for all time? pffftt... screw that...

Brady did the Pats & and Mr Kraft one last solid by stringing along Ross to the point of tampering when he had no intention of ever signing there anyway.

Chess v Checkers
If he plays, hes going to end up in Miami next year.

Tom Brady is not even allowed in New England anymore

that year i kept asking my son why brady was throwing the ball at the receivers feet(we all saw it) and i wondered why he was sabotaging the team....now i know why....good he was the most miserable 8 and 0 qb ever. he quit on the pats. he tried to play it off like it was the pats personnel but it was him backstabbing the pats with that scumbag loser miami owner. stephen ross is that weird lump you have to scrape off the bottom of your shoe.

Last edited:
I think they were done with each other. Belichick’s a tough guy to play for, Brady lasted much longer than any other player with him, and it’s not surprising he wanted to finish his career somewhere else. But Breer is wrong, they didn’t use Brady’s draft status in their deals, but they did get him to take less because of his desire to win championships. And as far as Belichick goes I think he was ready to move on from Brady because he wants to build a great team before hanging them up, and shoot for another Lombardi and the Wins record over Shula. He knew it would take 4-5 years to get them to that point and he didn’t want to wait until he’s 75 to start that rebuild.

They both got what they wanted.
I think the bigger thing was Brady wants to go out on his terms and does not want someone else to have an escape clause if for whatever reason Brady has a down year or whatever. He didn't want a situation where he got hurt, someone else steps in and does well, his contract is up so Bill goes with the younger guy. Then Brady is a free agent but he's also damaged goods because the Pats ditched him.

I think the bigger thing was Brady wants to go out on his terms...
And come back on his own petty terms, too. His vicious public defenestration of idiot Coach Riscuit Biscuit was perhaps his most unseemly act of all.

that year i kept asking my son why brady was throwing the ball at the receivers feet(we all saw it) and i wondered why he was sabotaging the team....now i know why....good he was the most miserable 8 and 0 qb ever. he quit on the pats. he tried to play it off like it was the pats personnel but it was him backstabbing the pats with that scumbag loser miami owner. stephen ross is that weird lump you have to scrape off the bottom of your shoe.
A totally stupid take that should fit perfectly here.

Are you really trying to compare the Pats teams from 2019 and 2021 while ignoring the 8-0 start in 2019. That's a load of horsesh!t.
I was comparing the offenses but if the 2021 defense allowed 14 or less and an average of 7.7 in their first 8 games they probably would have been 8-0 also.
In those 8 games in 2019 they allowed 3,0,14,10, 7,14,0,13

I think the bigger thing was Brady wants to go out on his terms and does not want someone else to have an escape clause if for whatever reason Brady has a down year or whatever. He didn't want a situation where he got hurt, someone else steps in and does well, his contract is up so Bill goes with the younger guy. Then Brady is a free agent but he's also damaged goods because the Pats ditched him.
So because he didn’t want to leave, he left?
People are working really hard here to come up with excuses.
I understand it because you love Brady, I do too, but you can love Brady and admit he did the wrong thing, or screw over the team for his own good.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back