PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dolphins Owner Steven Ross Suspended, Picks Forfeited, For Tampering With Brady, Payton

Not excusing it because I am disappointed, but apparently Brady and Beal are boys. So entertaining calls from a friend?
Entertaining a call from a friend is one thing. Entertaining Contract negotiations while your still under contract to another team is something entirely different.

There are companies that will fire you if they find out you're looking for another job. Because they don't want you to "taint the well".
And the NFL isn't the "real world". They have a closed system. That's been the players argument numerous times during CBA discussions.

Unfortunately for Tom, this will taint his legacy even more and there will be people who supported him that will step back and review his actions in "DeflateGate" with more scrutiny.
Overreaction his legacy is cemented.

No, but I guarantee you that Brady violated the terms of his contract during his last season for meeting with these guys.
You do realize that both those guys have been close to Brady for years. Ones a Michigan alum who raises lots of money for Michigan and the other is a friend. Brady probably has talked to them personally as much as he did Kraft or Belichick.

And at the end of the day, Brady didn't even go to the Phins. All the anti-Brady posters are on here with hard ons when none of us know the context of those calls. For all we know he could have been telling them he'll make his decision at a later date.

A lot of speculation in this thread. We have no idea how much time Brady spent talking to anyone in the Dolphins organization in 2019. They were pursuing him but he may have been saying he'll decide later. We don't know. At the end of the day he chose Tampa Bay so whatever those talks were between him and the Dolphins obviously didn't go to far.
We have a pretty good idea:

1659461348360.png

Given this was the case, it is kind of curious that the talks did not result with Tommy signing with Miami.

My recollection from the time is the Tom to Miami talk fired up at the end of the season, and then there was the Payton to Miami talk, then it went quiet. There was some questioning if Tom and Sean would be good together. Then Tampa swooped in with an offer that made sense both in terms of money and in terms of the football situation, and the deal closed quickly.

I suppose the flip side of that was that Miami did not make sense from a football point of view and presumably whatever money MIA was putting on the table wasn't good enough to overcome that.

As above, the player doesn't get penalized for participating in tampering, so I assume someone in Tom's camp will sooner or later leak more about the story. It may eventually be Tom himself that puts down in writing what happened once his playing days are over.

With the lack of weapons that year, we might as well have been too.

I don’t love to hear what happened, but the relationship soured and it is what it is. That year was a mess regardless of the tampering.
They were 10-1 after 11 games.

This is the headline to the entire debacle and they’re burying it around the tampering fluff.

I hope someone sues the NFL just to bring it back out from underneath the rock they just attempted to bury it under. It only takes one or two people who had any type of Financial interest in the outcomes of the games.

Overreaction his legacy is cemented.

Tom's Legacy with Most Pats fans is cemented. But there will be fans from other teams who liked Tom that will not question what his actions even more.

how-do-we-tell-him-mr-krabs.gif
The jig is up. I knew Shula was dead.
I knew it even before he died

Whatever you say, Vancouver Boy...shouldn't you be following the Canucks?
Not hockey season yet Timmy. And I've been a Patriots fan since the 84 when I was a kid. When did you jump the band wagon? Which SB was it? What other teams do you support? The Yankees, Lakers?

After 2019 the Bucs was the better option

2021 the contract he signed with the Bucs plus the Brian Flores situation made it impossible.
That is what's bizarre. The Bucs had the right to Tom, so what was Tom doing?
The Flores accusation came out, and it would have been a horrible look to proceed at that point.

Why Brady didn’t sign with the Dolphins in 2020? That’s not known yet. Maybe he didn’t think they were ready to compete; we know there was a long form article about Brady’s free agency process where he took a long look at teams’ rosters in determining his team; he certainly didn’t want to go through a rebuilding process.
I still don't see how this is a bad look. They wanted to move on, which they did and hired a new coach anyways. Speaking of the new coach, I like how they emphasized their new hired coach was someone of color. Many people would've never known if it wasn't mentioned.

You do realize that both those guys have been close to Brady for years. Ones a Michigan alum who raises lots of money for Michigan and the other is a friend. Brady probably has talked to them personally as much as he did Kraft or Belichick.

And at the end of the day, Brady didn't even go to the Phins. All the anti-Brady posters are on here with hard ons when none of us know the context of those calls. For all we know he could have been telling them he'll make his decision at a later date.
It continued from august through the season and post season and was serious enough to cost them a 1 and 3 and 2 million in fines, plus have both excess suspended.
Seems you are playing ostrich because you don’t like what it says.

There are companies that will fire you if they find out you're looking for another job. Because they don't want you to "taint the well".
And the NFL isn't the "real world". They have a closed system. That's been the players argument numerous times during CBA discussions.
...and those companies can be sued for wrongful termination (if it can be proved).

In this case the Fins courted Tom.
Unfortunately for Tom, this will taint his legacy even more and there will be people who supported him that will step back and review his actions in "DeflateGate" with more scrutiny.
Huh? What will the result be through more scrutiny? They'll think he actually deflated footballs and ignore science?

I know most of yall will get over it once he retires. Packers fans were able to love Favry again and he actually played for Minnesota

The NFL is fining and banning the owners of the Dolphins for tampering with Tom Brady. It wasn't like they were just playing spin the Bo Schembechler in South Beach over mojitos.

These guys violated NFL rules to an extent that shocked Roger Goodell. I get it. It wasn't as bad as Deflategate or Spygate, but it drew this from Goodell: ""The investigators found tampering violations of unprecedented scope and severity. I know of no prior instance of a team violating the prohibition on tampering with both a HC and star player."

Very simply…. He asked the Patriots to give him a longterm contract. They refused. He then agreed to sign a short term one and negotiated a no strings attached free agency after.

The ball was in the Pats court. Brady gave them every opportunity to ensure he stay. That was their chance to secure him. You don’t get to complain after you passed on that opportunity that he started talking to other people about a future you weren’t interested in locking down when you were the only suitor.

This jilted fan stuff. If you are upset, be mad at the team. The reason Brady isn’t here is because he wasn’t signed longterm when he was asking. Not the Dolphins when he was on his way to free agency.

This isn’t even like Parcells where the team was left high and dry suddenly and embarrassingly. There’s only one reason a guy negotiated a no strings attached free agency in his contract. Pats gave it to him so they didn’t need to commit

We don't know Brady's contract demands and whether he and the agent were plotting his departure. We do know he stunk the last 6 games in NE, they might have been better off starting Hoyer who was at least trying to win. Did he tank the Titan's PO game because he wanted to be gone?

The league has acknowledged that players representing themselves are "agents". Agents are certainly not allowed to tamper.

Like I said I don't know what the details are here so I'll reserve judgement.

Hmm.. good point.. I don't see any penalty for Don Yee either...

(we really need the "interesting" emoji as part of the SMILIES" )

I know most of yall will get over it once he retires. Packers fans were able to love Favry again and he actually played for Minnesota
How many Super Bowls did he win in MN? Did he also lure a retired team legend to his new team?

It continued from august through the season and post season and was serious enough to cost them a 1 and 3 and 2 million in fines, plus have both excess suspended.
Seems you are playing ostrich because you don’t like what it says.
Not at all. I'm not happy Brady spoke to anyone, but, we don't know the details of the conversations. What we do know is he didn't go to the Phins, so whatever they were pitching he wasn't buying. To be clear, whoever approached Brady he should have said I'll talk to you after the season.

• Winner
Reactions: sb1

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents