PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Celtics to trade #1 overall pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say commentators who said if Fultz were a real stud his team would have won more than 9 games. Perhaps there were red flags from the Celtic's POV?

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Go back in history to Cedric Maxwell leading a Cinderella UNC Charlotte team to the final four and Larry bird carrying an Indiana State team of nobody's to the championship game..... LeBron took a team of no names to the NBA finals early in his career......

I am assuming that Ainge is looking to flip the picks for an established player(s). It makes very little sense otherwise unless there is something he doesn't like about Fultz and LOVES about one of the other prospects and figured he'd swing a lottery pick out of it instead of picking a different prospect for nothing.

If the pick is Jackson, I think Ainge has taken a huge risk. JJ could be great but I also think his bust likelihood is higher than Fultz/Ball/Tatum.

If Lonzo falls into our lap at #3, that's definitely the guy I want. Initially I was turned off by his fathers antics but if LA passes on him we get a super talented kid, spurned by his hometown team and with a chip on his shoulder. Sign me up if that is the case, but I have the inkling that Danny might pass on Lonzo as well. Stupidly IMO.

Jayson Tatum would be a safe pick. I don't know that his ceiling is as high as the others but right now he is close to NBA ready.

If he does not swing another deal, Danny better hope like hell that whoever he chooses becomes a stud here in Boston and that Fultz does not explode into a superstar within our very division. Big time risk.

Not sure where you are coming from. You started with the insults and classless quote, over an immaterial detail about something that happened more than 40 years ago. I didn't say anything derogatory in my post but you chose to be a smartazz. But whatever, believe what you want.
Oh, I will.

My only criticism of this trade is the timing. Why now? If they could make this trade today, they could have made it later in the week. Why not wait and see if you can do better?
Time will tell, but Ainge may believe he can flip more assets before the draft allowing potential trade partners to choose a 2017 draftee instead of owning unknown future draft slots. Present value > than future value. Also, the additional cap space created by dropping 2 slots affords Ainge more flexibility to maneuver now if he sees opportunity.

Last edited:
So Ainge trades Fultz for Jackson this year, get the Lakers #1 next year to go with the Brooklyn pick in a draft with supposed a lot for good bigs, get the Sacramento #1 for 2019.

Plus adds Hayward in a coupe of weeks.

Guy really sucks eh?

And we have a shot at Marvin Bagley (Anthony Davis 2.0) in 2019. This could be the greatest draft steal since Parrish/McHale.

I'm not a Celtics fan or a big NBA fan but this looks like a good deal for the Celtics, they pass on two guards they don't really need or want and get the #3 and what should be a high lottery first in 2018 for moving down two picks. They should go all out to sign Hayward but they shouldn't go after George or Butler because they would have to give up too much and the reality is that they aren't going to beat out Cleveland or GS over the next 3 seasons. They should take the #3 overall, sign Hayward, and then watch how Brown and the rookie develop next season while hanging on to all of their assets. How all this pans out will depend upon how good next years draft is and free agency in 2018 and 2019. They are well positioned to build a team that could be great as the superteam's in GS and Cleveland start to come back to the pack.

Losing the #1 overall always sucks for fans of any team but I think Ainge is smart to take a longer term approach as nothing he can do right now will win them an NBA title in 2017 or 2018. 2019 is really the earliest they can hope to have a real shot at a title.

Ainge is going to take major crap for this and I applaud him for having the balls to do it. If a kid can't get his college team into NCAA tournament I don't see how anyone could expect him to lead a pro team past GS or Cleveland. They are loaded with the capitol to make big moves over the next couple of years and it should be interesting to see how they build over that time.

This maybe a dream but could you imagine if they use these picks and get Anthony Davis from the Pelicans and then they also get Hayward. That would be game on

Getting what will likely be a top 5 pick next year or the year after to move down 2 spots and probably take the guy you liked best at 1 seems like a nobrainer.
I don't think fultz is bird, Jordan, Kobe or Shaq

The Memphis 1st is decent but top 7 protected. The Clipper pick blows and is top 15 protected. Garbage picks and near useless in trade or picking.

Don't fall into the picks are good. Only good pick right now is the BKN 18, and with how the basketball gods usually look upon such things, that BKN pick will be the in the 10-14 range.

That would be exactly what Ainge deserves.
The Brooklyn pick next year will be the exact same as the Brooklyn pick this year: 1-4 with a 25% chance of being #1.

Not sure I understand the need for all this "capital", as what is the value of having all these picks if you are not going to use them??

So now we have more 1st round picks, for what reason???

If stockpiling picks helped win games I agree, but it makes no sense to do this.. particularly in light that players can choose what team they play for.. see Durant, Lebron et al..

I know we made the ECF this year, but no matter what this team does will compare to the Cleveland roster..
Darryl, you answered your own question. The reason why you stockpile picks is because Cleveland is far and away the best in the Eastern Conference. You stockpile the picks so you will be stronger when Cleveland comes down a notch or two.

Ainge got a lot of criticism for sitting on the picks this past year instead of making a move at the deadline. Any such move would have been idiotic, pure and simple. It would have done nothing to change the outcome of Cleveland in 5 over Boston in the ECF.

Well I don't watch much college BB so I don't have strong feelings on these guys.

Now IF Ainge wanted say Jackson MORE than Fultz then the trade makes a lot of sense, he just picked up a lottery pick for free.
I think this is the case 100%.
I say commentators who said if Fultz were a real stud his team would have won more than 9 games. Perhaps there were red flags from the Celtic's POV?
Can't say I watched much Washington Huskies basketball this year, but I agree that it seems verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry strange that the (supposedly) best player in basketball - a sport where the team with the best player wins more often than not - went all of 2-16 in conference.

When, if ever, has a #1 draft pick ever had such an abysmal record in college?

My take?

As much as I'd like to be able to compare this to the Celtics #1 of Joe Barry Carroll for Parish and McHale, today's NBA isn't even close to that

I'm pretty much zen with Ainge and Stevens doing what they want to bring another championship here and if that's using the Fultz pick to bring in proven veteran talent (especially a big rebounding and defensive presence underneath the basket) I'll support them in using this asset accordingly

Today's NBA is different from even the 2007 Celtics

A Big Three might not be enough to cut it anymore, looking at Cleveland and the Warriors ahead of them (not ruling out LeBron as a target if he's open to it but I'm not holding my breath there)

I think Ainge has his sights on whatever Big Four or Five that Stevens thinks he needs (paying for it is another matter but I don't much care about the Celtics paying out the nose in luxury tax either)

The analogy I use on Fultz is this

Imagine it's not Fultz but it's LeBron as a rookie

OK then - you say "draft the bastard," - right?

Well, exactly how many titles did LeBron bring to Cleveland from 2003-2010?

Yeah - zero.

If the Cavs could do it all over again who knows - they might be open to trading him for a team that was a better Championship caliber team.

That's what Ainge is trying to do. Fultz could well be the next super star - but I'm not sure a 19 year old is going to be the difference maker on this team, especially when they already have a PG/SG combo like IT

If you want to continue rebuilding with an eye on a championship in 5 years - keep him, but I think Ainge knows Celts fans want to win NOW

I remain open to persuasion:
  1. They didn't get enough back for the pick.
  2. I see what they're probably going for, if they keep the picks, and it would have made some real sense if the pick next year wasn't protected at #1.
  3. Jackson still doesn't make any sense to me, if he's the selection.

So basically Celtics have ...

2017 Phila 1st
2018 Bk's 1st
2018 C's 1st

-2018 LaL 1st

or

2019 Sacramentos 1st-

2019 C's
2019 LaC 1st
2019 Mem 1st

The Memphis 1st is decent but top 7 protected. The Clipper pick blows and is top 15 protected. Garbage picks and near useless in trade or picking.

Don't fall into the picks are good. Only good pick right now is the BKN 18, and with how the basketball gods usually look upon such things, that BKN pick will be the in the 10-14 range.

That would be exactly what Ainge deserves.

No I'm def not. Was just listing off the top of my head what we might have for a treasure chest.

I'm not a Celtics fan or a big NBA fan but this looks like a good deal for the Celtics, they pass on two guards they don't really need or want and get the #3 and what should be a high lottery first in 2018 for moving down two picks. They should go all out to sign Hayward but they shouldn't go after George or Butler because they would have to give up too much and the reality is that they aren't going to beat out Cleveland or GS over the next 3 seasons. They should take the #3 overall, sign Hayward, and then watch how Brown and the rookie develop next season while hanging on to all of their assets. How all this pans out will depend upon how good next years draft is and free agency in 2018 and 2019. They are well positioned to build a team that could be great as the superteam's in GS and Cleveland start to come back to the pack.

Losing the #1 overall always sucks for fans of any team but I think Ainge is smart to take a longer term approach as nothing he can do right now will win them an NBA title in 2017 or 2018. 2019 is really the earliest they can hope to have a real shot at a title.

Ainge is going to take major crap for this and I applaud him for having the balls to do it. If a kid can't get his college team into NCAA tournament I don't see how anyone could expect him to lead a pro team past GS or Cleveland. They are loaded with the capitol to make big moves over the next couple of years and it should be interesting to see how they build over that time.

It all depends on Fultz.. I mean if he becomes a super star then I don't care it was a bad move. This is a huge risk for Ainge.

I remain open to persuasion:
  1. They didn't get enough back for the pick.
  2. I see what they're probably going for, if they keep the picks, and it would have made some real sense if the pick next year wasn't protected at #1.
  3. Jackson still doesn't make any sense to me, if he's the selection.

I agree with you Deus this trade is complete ass. And those delusional enough to think they''ll pry Davis from NOLA are in for a rude awakening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back