PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Celtics to trade #1 overall pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darryl, you answered your own question. The reason why you stockpile picks is because Cleveland is far and away the best in the Eastern Conference. You stockpile the picks so you will be stronger when Cleveland comes down a notch or two.

Ainge got a lot of criticism for sitting on the picks this past year instead of making a move at the deadline. Any such move would have been idiotic, pure and simple. It would have done nothing to change the outcome of Cleveland in 5 over Boston in the ECF.

There's still chatter about trading all these picks for (2 years of) Jimmy Butler or (one year of) Paul George. :rolleyes: Madness!

I remain open to persuasion:
  1. They didn't get enough back for the pick.
  2. I see what they're probably going for, if they keep the picks, and it would have made some real sense if the pick next year wasn't protected at #1.
  3. Jackson still doesn't make any sense to me, if he's the selection.

I imagine Ainge took one look at Fultz's "dad bod" and it brought back memories of Sullinger. He then jumped at the best offer on the table.

I don't know for sure whether Fox or DSJ are any better than Fultz but they've performed well against real competition, look much quicker, and aren't rockin "dad bods" at age 19.

I agree with you Deus this trade is complete ass. And those delusional enough to think they''ll pry Davis from NOLA are in for a rude awakening.

There are avenues for this trade to work out as gold

Brooklyn pick goes #1 next year, Lakers goes #2, Boston gets top two picks in a draft with bigs
Lakers pick doesn't vest next year, Kings pick goes #1 the following year, Boston gets Bagley, jr.

I just think that, when you have the #1 asset, you have to get more than a 25% max chance 2 years out in return.

I imagine Ainge took one look at Fultz's "dad bod" and it brought back memories of Sullinger. He then jumped at the best offer on the table.

I don't know for sure whether Fox or DSJ are any better than Fultz but they've performed well against real competition, look much quicker, and aren't rockin "dad bods" at age 19.

Fultz, with his "dad bod", is still physical match with the best in the NBA. Philly is apparently banking on him, and time will obviously tell the tale on that. But, if Fultz can play, and Embid can stay healthy, Boston just paved the way for a rival to get a whole lot better.

What is a "dad bod"?

There are avenues for this trade to work out as gold

Brooklyn pick goes #1 next year, Lakers goes #2, Boston gets top two picks in a draft with bigs
Lakers pick doesn't vest next year, Kings pick goes #1 the following year, Boston gets Bagley, jr.

I just think that, when you have the #1 asset, you have to get more than a 25% max chance 2 years out in return.

Knowing the Celtics history of losing out on top picks I'm sure they'll get screwed.

Fultz, with his "dad bod", is still physical match with the best in the NBA. Philly is apparently banking on him, and time will obviously tell the tale on that. But, if Fultz can play, and Embid can stay healthy, Boston just paved the way for a rival to get a whole lot better.

Exactly, this is a ballsy move by Danny.

Phila was clearly in love with Fultz.

I said two from when the news broke.

It has to be special and I want Sacramentos 1st.

LaL 18 & Sac 19 is special.

This is a ton of maybes and ifs.

By this time next year, Danny will have become either the King of Boston,
or the Village Idiot.
Because as of today, the ROI is very, Very underwhelming, to say the least.

So Ainge trades Fultz for Jackson this year, get the Lakers #1 next year to go with the Brooklyn pick in a draft with supposed a lot for good bigs, get the Sacramento #1 for 2019.

Plus adds Hayward in a coupe of weeks.

Guy really sucks eh?

No, it protected 1 and its protected 6-30 because if its 6-30, they don't WANT it, they'd rather go with the SAC 19 pick. Which also looks to have some outstanding players.

Go back to the past 30 NBA champions. With few exceptions, the team that had the best player won.

Who were the best NBA players the last two years, LeBron ('16) and Durant ('17)?

I think that theory can go back 50+ years and still be true, but the thing that stops any player is an injury.

If the pick ends up being SAC, it could certainly end up netting Bagley or Moses Brown. SAC is in the dumpster or a minimum the next 3 seasons.

In order to complete with CLE and GS Danny basically needs Davis and Butler.

I think he knows that and sees the only short term way to acquire both player of that caliber is via FA and trade thus why the 437 1st Rd picks he has stockpiled

He could get both of them and still not beat GS. He should build for 2019 and beyond, he's a fool if he trades for Butler, and George is only worth a deal if he signs long term.

If the pick ends up being SAC, it could certainly end up netting Bagley or Moses Brown. SAC is in the dumpster or a minimum the next 3 seasons.

Not if they hit on picks 5 and 10 this year. If they get a quality PG and a shooter they could be solid by 2018.

He could get both of them and still not beat GS. He should build for 2019 and beyond, he's a fool if he trades for Butler, and George is only worth a deal if he signs long term.
I think with Horford, IT, Butler and Davis they would make it at least competitive w GS

Even if the Kings keep sucking, that still doesn't come close to making the deal the biggest steal since Mchale/Parrish.

Zippy is available to ref YOUR games too!

8a7ae03b548e09e607aa0d6e55ef74fc.jpg

Would you deal bostons own first in 2018 for Paul George? Granted he's most likely a 1 and done to LA. C's still have a boatload of future picks, you get a much better shot to compete with Cleveland next year. Would Indiana consider it knowing PG is leaving anyway just to get something back? Plus that pick should be in the 20s

The Brooklyn pick next year will be the exact same as the Brooklyn pick this year: 1-4 with a 25% chance of being #1.

Possibly. I don't see that because I firmly believe the basketball gods are looking unfavorably on the Cs and Ainge for trading the first pick when it's been wanted for decades.

Possibly. I don't see that because I firmly believe the basketball gods are looking unfavorably on the Cs and Ainge for trading the first pick when it's been wanted for decades.
Unless there is a game changer at #1, it doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents