PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Celtics to trade #1 overall pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think with Horford, IT, Butler and Davis they would make it at least competitive w GS

I don't ever see them getting Davis, and even with him GS would still be better.

Exactly, this is a ballsy move by Danny.

Phila was clearly in love with Fultz.

I said two from when the news broke.

It has to be special and I want Sacramentos 1st.

LaL 18 & Sac 19 is special.

This is a ton of maybes and ifs.
Given draft picks in the NBA are worth their weight in gold, it's a good trade. The problem is, fans throw out unrealistic expectations for what they consider a good haul that anything short of that feels like a failure. Ainge is setting the team up for a very bright future, if only for their tradable draft assets. The sooner people realize this, the better.

Some of the 19 prospects that will most likely go top 3 in some order

Zion Williamson is a sup'd up freak that has to work on his shot big time. He hits the boards and will be able to attack from left or right when he comes out.

Moses Brown is a really nice athlete who is already a good rim protector and has a nice shot from about 18-20 out

Bagley is a rare prospect tho. This kid could be a top 3 player or even the best player in the game. Mix of KG & Davis.

Obviously keep in mind these are legit kids and are still growing. Which is scary.

That's why I brought up Sacramento from the beginning. There's a few other guys (Langford, Barrett, Reddish) that look fantastic as well.

Given draft picks in the NBA are worth their weight in gold, it's a good trade. The problem is, fans throw out unrealistic expectations for what they consider a good haul that anything short of that feels like a failure. Ainge is setting the team up for a very bright future, if only for their tradable draft assets. The sooner people realize this, the better.

I'm talking specifically about this trade.

There's a chance we gave up the #1 for 2-5 pick next year. That's not a good deal.

Phila was clearly in love with MF. This was no secret. We gave him up cheap. And in the process might have help them out more than ourselves.

Last edited:

There's a chance we gave up the #1 for 2-5 pick next year. That's not a good deal.

Phila was clearly in love with MF. This was no secret. We gave him up cheap. And in the process might have help them out more than ourselves.
If you view either of the next few drafts (which appears to be the online consensus) as stronger in star quality and are confident there won't be much difference between pick 1 and 3 in this draft, then it's a great move for Boston. It also puts the team in an even stronger future position. FTR, the positions of actual need look much better in the future opposed to this draft. Fultz, as much as I would have liked to have seen him in Green, is superfluous to needs if the Cs are happy with the backcourt.

The deal is fine once you wrap your head around the flexible permutations of Ainge's manoeuvre.

Sure it is. Because it isn't this years 1 for next years 2-5, its this years 1 for this years 3 PLUS next years 2-5. If you think the difference between 1 and 3 this year is negligible its a no brainer. Plus, 2-5 next year gets you a legit starting NBA big.

I get what both of you are saying and honestly agree with most. This does give us more flexibility.

I just think we should have got more. Phila is in love with this kid and needed him a hell of a lot more than us to solve their problems, specifically Simmons. He was their guy 100%.

Again I love the flexibility but think we should have got more.

I get what both of you are saying and honestly agree with most. This does give us more flexibility.

I just think we should have got more. Phila is in love with this kid and needed him a hell of a lot more than us to solve their problems, specifically Simmons. He was their guy 100%.

Again I love the flexibility but think we should have got more.
In life, what you want and what you get rarely align. Sure, we'd all like more but dropping two spots with an opportunity to add another high lottery pick is good business. Keep in mind, on face value, Philly looks very talented but they're incredibly brittle AND unproven.

There's still chatter about trading all these picks for (2 years of) Jimmy Butler or (one year of) Paul George. :rolleyes: Madness!

Paul George is going to Cleveland, it seems.

I heard an interview with Wyc Grousbeck and he tipped his hand. The Celtics know they can't compete with Cleveland or Golden State at this time. If they trade now, I expect it will be for a younger player with a lot of valuable years ahead - like Anthony Davis.

Possibly. I don't see that because I firmly believe the basketball gods are looking unfavorably on the Cs and Ainge for trading the first pick when it's been wanted for decades.
Yes well, silly me, I am focused a bit more on the fact that the Nets were by far the worst team in basketball this past year and have done absolutely nothing to get any better.

Would you deal bostons own first in 2018 for Paul George? Granted he's most likely a 1 and done to LA. C's still have a boatload of future picks, you get a much better shot to compete with Cleveland next year. Would Indiana consider it knowing PG is leaving anyway just to get something back? Plus that pick should be in the 20s
I wouldn't give much more than a bag of balls for Paul George (unless I am Cleveland). If Danny trades for him, I will lose all respect I had for him entirely.

I wouldn't give much more than a bag of balls for Paul George (unless I am Cleveland). If Danny trades for him, I will lose all respect I had for him entirely.

Agreed. Big no to Butler and George.

George and James will end up in LaL together.

Darryl, you answered your own question. The reason why you stockpile picks is because Cleveland is far and away the best in the Eastern Conference. You stockpile the picks so you will be stronger when Cleveland comes down a notch or two.

Ainge got a lot of criticism for sitting on the picks this past year instead of making a move at the deadline. Any such move would have been idiotic, pure and simple. It would have done nothing to change the outcome of Cleveland in 5 over Boston in the ECF.

Still makes little sense to me.. I could take or leave Fultz, but I wonder the value of all of these draft picks.. are we conceding until James slows down or retires?? This AM reading where Paul George might join Cleveland, if that happens the whole NBA is moving over the line from stupid to incredibly stupid.

BTW did not criticize Ainge for renting a player at the deadline..

The NBA has changed more than I am comfortable with and is morphing into 2 superteams and 28 "also rans"..

Only way this trade makes sense is if they think the guy at 3 is as good or better than Fultz. You don't trade down and grab a worse player in the NBA. Hope Ainge is right, legacy defining trade. Big 3 will be long forgotten if Philly becomes a great team with Fultz.

I think with Horford, IT, Butler and Davis they would make it at least competitive w GS
Next year will be time to talk Davis, he's signed for 3 more years at great money and is only 24 years old. Why trade for Boogie and not run these guys for a full season with a full off season together? Talking about trading for Davis now is crazy. There's no way that happens.

My only criticism of this trade is the timing. Why now? If they could make this trade today, they could have made it later in the week. Why not wait and see if you can do better?

I'm not upset about losing Fultz, I'm sure he's a talented player, but so is whomever they get at #3, and neither would have a huge impact on this upcoming season anyway. I would have preferred any trade came with a player, especially a big.

BTW- regardless of the draft, the team building of the 2017-18 Celtics is FAR from over. So this trade needs to be configured with whatever happens the rest of this off season.
I would have held up this trade over the top 1 protection next year. Would Philly really not pull the trigger to keep that top 1 protection?

I would have held up this trade over the top 1 protection next year. Would Philly really not pull the trigger to keep that top 1 protection?
Brooklyn's getting the 1, Lakers getting the 2 in next year's draft which means... Oh b2b draft happiness!

Next year will be time to talk Davis, he's signed for 3 more years at great money and is only 24 years old. Why trade for Boogie and not run these guys for a full season with a full off season together? Talking about trading for Davis now is crazy. There's no way that happens.
More than anything I was interjecting what kind of player(s) to win a title are required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes