PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bears crumbling, paving way for Jimmy G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if you want this team to go thru the dark ages post brady
this has been gone over and over. Unfortunately the timing is wrong for Jimmy to be Tom's replacement. For that to happen, Tom would have to go down during THIS season. The Pats are not keeping him next season as his trade value will not be as high.

Whatever team may be interested will have to make the determination as to whether or not it makes sense to draft a guy and pay him 5-6m a year for up to five years, or to take Garoppolo in his final year, where he could command up to 18-20m like Osweiler did.

I think you make some fine points, but I just don't see anyone parting with a top 10 pick for Jimmy Garoppolo. I think that's highly unlikely although I respect your stance. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
I agree. Its not only the cost of the player, but the pick as well.
Trading a very high pick for a guy who has mostly sat around for 3 years to make your franchise QB and pay him like a franchise QB before he has become one, seems to be a less popular choice with NFL GMs than to take the best guy on the board and bring him up in your system on a rookie contract.
Over the past few years, it seems that mostly the very high picks work out, and the guys that have no business being in the first round but get reached for because of QB need don't.
I don't think the average fan factors in that Jimmy G has essentially not played football for 3 years.

Bears are perfect. NFC so it's not direct competition and it's throwing Jimmy a bone too, as he grew up as a Bears fan.
Also, if you turn the Bears around it is a classic NFL football team to be great for. Would you rather be the star QB of the successful Bears, or the star QB of a team like the jaguars or Bucs...

But the thing is, if your QB is good enough, it is worth paying him 18-20MM/yr. The thing is that whoever ever trades for Garapolo will have a full year to test the waters to see if he is worth the investment and confirm his level of play. THAT's why JG's value is so much higher after this season, than it would be after the 17 season.

Anyway I see Chicago as a good potential landing spot for JG because they will need a QB, JG is from the area and will be a great marketing tool for the franchise, and picking a rookie is just so risky and this class isn't highly thought of compared to other years.

The fit just seems too good.
But after the 17 season you get him for his contract, and no other compensation. That is a huge factor.

But after the 17 season you get him for his contract, and no other compensation. That is a huge factor.
Exactly, that is why keeping JG past this season, drastically reduces his trade value.

There are people here who want to keep JG next season and pull off a Cassell-like deal between the end of the season and the start of the new NFL year IF Brady continues to defy time. You can't ask for much when all a team has to do is wait a few days or weeks and get a shot at the guy for no compensation.

Patriots trade G in 2017.

G signs five year contract with new team that ends in 2021.

Brady retires in 2021 at age 44 after his sixth super bowl win.

G becomes free agent same year.

G declares that he is taking his talents back to New England.

Thing is, The Hoodie thinks a big bag of draft picks is better than a nice fat CHI first rounder, so the emphasis on CHI is a bit over the top.

German "grammatik" is a mess, it's insanely tricky, borderline sadomasochist. Any non-native german speaker not named Bill Belichick nor Stephen Hawking would struggle heavily to order a single Wurst or a beer in Münchner Oktoberfest with :
1- Zero grammar mistake
2- The appropriate "Bayrisch Akzent" ("mit dem BayrischEN Akzent", sorry)

Mein Gott...

Haha. Genau. I learned German in Saarland which is a much softer dialect. So my pronunciation of "Ich" would be "Eesh" instead of "Eeecchhchch" . :eek:

I do not have enough gargle nor throat muscles to say, "Ich möchte ein bier". :D

Good stuff Hoodie.

I don't see Chicago parting with a top 5 pick in 2017, but getting the Bears 2nd in 2017 & a first in 2019 is a Belichick type of trade. The Bears are looking for a franchise QB & may think that there 2019 pick will not be a top 15.

If you remember when we traded Seymour in early September 2009, we took a 2011 first round pick.

I could see Belichick loving a early 2nd round pick next year & a future 1st.

I hate peeple whom ca'nt spell, and, dont have good grandma. Its ridickulus. And Nate Soldier is my favorite player.

Brady's going nowhere. Sadly, Jimmy G must go. Will the Bears' #3 pick be the G spot? I'd take it. And I think I'd do it if I were the Bears.

Haha. Genau. I learned German in Saarland which is a much softer dialect. So my pronunciation of "Ich" would be "Eesh" instead of "Eeecchhchch" . :eek:

I do not have enough gargle nor throat muscles to say, "Ich möchte ein bier". :D

Good stuff Hoodie.

I heard a funny joke from an immigrant on the french radio. Let's adapt it to the german context :
"-Hallo, Ich bin Grigoris, i'm a newcomer in Deutschland and I have a big grosse Problem. You know, I'm struggling with your language, with the noun-genders particularly : Masculine, Feminine, "Neutral"... there's no such thing in our Armenian Sprache ! For instance, when i go to the pub, i never know how to make a proper sentence to order a Bier : "Der Bier" ? "Die Bier" ? "Das Bier" ?... You know, i'm lost. And I'm a very social person, i would like to integrate to the german Gesellschaft, but i don't want people to mock me when i speak. It hurts, it' really hurts...
-I'm sorry Grigoris... So ?...
-Well, mein Freund Tobias, the bartender... He taught me a good tip last time.
-Prima ! What is your tip ?
-Well, it costs me a little more, but now, thanks to Tobias, i can say : "Ich möchte zwei Bier".

Last edited:
Exactly, that is why keeping JG past this season, drastically reduces his trade value.

There are people here who want to keep JG next season and pull off a Cassell-like deal between the end of the season and the start of the new NFL year IF Brady continues to defy time. You can't ask for much when all a team has to do is wait a few days or weeks and get a shot at the guy for no compensation.
Only works if they tag him. If they are willing to give him the tag, then teams will have to bid to get him because he won't be a FA for a year.

Only works if they tag him. If they are willing to give him the tag, then teams will have to bid to get him because he won't be a FA for a year.
That's what they did with Cassell in 2009 off season. They had to Franchise him and hope they could make a quick deal before they would need the money to sign other players.

That strategy would still lower his value because teams would only have to wait the Pats out. But I think we both agree that to get the maximum value out the asset that JG has become would be to move him while he still has another year on his rookie deal.

BTW- I find it a bit revealing that while the Pats left Sheard and the other healthy scratches at home, they did bring Jacoby Brissett to SF with them. In a lot of cases, guys who go on IR are not with the team on game days. This isn't the first game he's been seen at. You have to think that the reason is that they like this kid.....a lot. He did show a lot of poise in the Houston game, if not great passing skills. He also took one for the team playing injured in the Bills game.

I don't know if Brissett will be the next QB for the Pats, but the timing looks to be more realistic that JG's certainly.

I hate peeple whom ca'nt spell, and, dont have good grandma. Its ridickulus. And Nate Soldier is my favorite player.

Brady's going nowhere. Sadly, Jimmy G must go. Will the Bears' #3 pick be the G spot? I'd take it. And I think I'd do it if I were the Bears.
As long as that pick turns into a Jonathan Allen, Jabrill Peppers or a Derek Barnett (Garrett is likely out of reach here), barring a BB trade down, down, down, I can live with that.

I hate peeple whom ca'nt spell, and, dont have good grandma. Its ridickulus. And Note Soldier is my favorite player.

Someone talked in another thread about the 3000 points (the value of a #1 overall pick) as an acceptable compensation for Jimmy G. It sounds like a good basis for the negotiations with the Bears (obviously the spot who makes the most sense for the three parties), and if Josh McD takes the HC job in Chicago, it would only facilitate the deal-making process.

Talking about Josh McD's possible departure, i've read that Brian Daboll, the current TE coach, would probably become the new OC. I don't know much about this guy, would he fit the bill ?

Talking about Josh McD's possible departure, i've read that Brian Daboll, the current TE coach, would probably become the new OC. I don't know much about this guy, would he fit the bill ?

He would be the worst possible choice. He has failed everywhere he has gone.

That's what they did with Cassell in 2009 off season. They had to Franchise him and hope they could make a quick deal before they would need the money to sign other players.

In 2008 they only had about $5M or so after franchising Cassel. They may have much more than that come 2018.

I don't know if Brissett will be the next QB for the Pats, but the timing looks to be more realistic that JG's certainly.

For all we know, they'll keep Garoppolo for 2017 and trade Brissett. . . .

Brissett has no trade value, so NO.

So is there any reason why the Pats can't give Jimmy a 1-2 year extension after this season for a nice bump in pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes