PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Are the nationally broadcasted announcers mailing it in?

VrabelJr

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Everyone other than local announcers seem incredibly lazy and low quality. Aside from the fact they almost never have anything of interest to share, they now habitually call the wrong player for the wrong number making the play, refer to teams by their old city names or team names (San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders, Washington Redskins), and sometimes just outright mention players that aren't even on the team anymore. The most egregious one from this season is referring to Devin McCourty as Jason McCourty. Most fantasy football players know more about all 32 teams than the guys being paid millions to call the games.

The fact that the greatest enjoyment by fans recently is feeding Tony Romo's ego of being right about one prediction every 160 guesses is as sure a sign as any. Are they even trying anymore? Have CBS, NBC, FOX, ESPN announcers all mailed it in?

Trent Green is one of the worst out there and he showed it yesterday. He called Harris Stevenson, he predicted multiple penalties and was wrong on just about all of them, and he seemed to be toughly confused by roughing/running into the punter. I am sure he's a nice guy but he was pretty incoherent for most of the game.

The most annoying NFL announcer ever was Rich Gannon. The way he would say "ow-fense" instead of "offense" drove me insane. And he'd say it 500 times a game. Dan Fouts was also awful because of his clear anti-Patriots bias.

In general I think most of them now are so-so, but you're definitely right that it seems the amount of on-air mistakes has increased. I think Daryl Johnston called someone "Harrison Ford" last week during the Vikings/Bills game.

We need Gus Johnson.

Announcing has been bad for many years. There are no iconic voices. Al Michaels really needs to retire as looks like he’s only there to collect a paycheck. I think another reason is the poor product the NFL is right now. This season is so bad it makes 2008 entertaining. There’s hardly any star players or powerhouse teams anymore and rivalries are dead.

Yesterday's announcers were pathetic.

From misnaming people (Marvin Jones for Marcus) to not even seeing the game (terrific tackle by Whitehead when Whitehead came in late and hit Rham in the head, could've been roughing penalty, the Jet that made the tackle got no credit).

Trent Green is one of the worst out there and he showed it yesterday. He called Harris Stevenson, he predicted multiple penalties and was wrong on just about all of them, and he seemed to be toughly confused by roughing/running into the punter. I am sure he's a nice guy but he was pretty incoherent for most of the game.
Trent Green definitely comes to mind as the perfect example. It's like he woke up with a hangover in the studio and was sleeping since last Sunday.

not only were they mailing it in, they presented the most one sided pro Jets view of the game. Sochi and Zolak are more even handed. :eek:. All through the game they kept mentioned the Jets will be in first place if they win this game. All through the game they went out their way to promote Jets success, without a mention of the Pats and anything positive.

I remember on a holding call, when they showed the replay it looked like they got it wrong, Green seemed like he wanted to comment on, and then didn't. Though he DID mention the push off that wasn't called. Just horrible.

I subscribe to ESPN +'s Hockey package and it is great because they give you the option to listen to either team's home broadcast. I wish the NFL would have that option for radio broadcasts or switch to each team gets to supply a home broadcast and let the fans decide. I'm not a tech wiz, but I imagine there could be a way.

The announcers were atrocious yesterday.

Trent Green.
Hey with all the Jones' and Mack's we have on this team I get confused sometimes, even if you want to designate them with the first initials of their names we get screwed because there are TWO JJones and 2 MJones. I know Jones is one of the most generic of surnames, but give me a break. We got FOUR Jones. I can see how someone not familiar with the team might get it wrong.

Those mistakes don't bother me. Its the front running of one team over another, like they were hoping that the Jest were going to break thru this impossible wall of the Patriots and break through to greatness. It wasn't the errors made in confusing names, but the OMISSIONS on th bad calls (Like the phantom roughing call that cost the Pats about 30 yds of field position)

With all due respect to the other awful announcers in this thread, when the Pats sucked in the late 80's into early 90's we got Beasley Reese each and every week. Everyone from Dennis Miller to Tony Kornheiser and anyone in between is an upgrade of Beasley and his fake chuckle.

The most annoying NFL announcer ever was Rich Gannon. The way he would say "ow-fense" instead of "offense" drove me insane. And he'd say it 500 times a game. Dan Fouts was also awful because of his clear anti-Patriots bias.

In general I think most of them now are so-so, but you're definitely right that it seems the amount of on-air mistakes has increased. I think Daryl Johnston called someone "Harrison Ford" last week during the Vikings/Bills game.
This!!! This, this, this!!!!!

Hey with all the Jones' and Mack's we have on this team I get confused sometimes, even if you want to designate them with the first initials of their names we get screwed because there are TWO JJones and 2 MJones. I know Jones is one of the most generic of surnames, but give me a break. We got FOUR Jones. I can see how someone not familiar with the team might get it wrong.

Those mistakes don't bother me. Its the front running of one team over another, like they were hoping that the Jest were going to break thru this impossible wall of the Patriots and break through to greatness. It wasn't the errors made in confusing names, but the OMISSIONS on th bad calls (Like the phantom roughing call that cost the Pats about 30 yds of field position)
There was a shot of the two Wilson's side by side in the Jetes huddle yesterday!

So speaking about the announcers.... I watched the first half at home and went to the bar at half-time. Couldn't hear much but I did hear quite a few references about the Jets winning and claiming 1st place. But I have a question about what transpired on what I thought was a hold in the end zone/safety and possibly an off-setting penalty? Any help?

Nobody will ever be worse than Bob Trumpy. Although not a fumblemouth, the guy was so friggin pompous, especially considering he was not exactly a Hall of Fame level player. Just a complete toolbox.

Unfortunately Chris Collinsworth has been Trumpy 2.0 since coming on the scene. Can’t stand that guy either. Again not a fumblemouth but the attitude is a lot more irritating to me than a bunch of malapropisms.

And there is a special spot on this list for scumbag murdering former RBs whose name should not be mentioned.

Take my opinions with a grain of salt since I still think Paul Maguire and Jerry Glanville were “so bad they were good” fun to listen to.

It seems like a lot of the guys that suck have been around for a really long time and are indeed just mailing it in. For some reason networks keep retaining them. Is there no competition for these roles?

There's a reason the Manning Cast is so popular.

I have hated Romo as an announcer since day 1. He brings nothing you don’t already know.

When I am sitting at home thinking, I could do a better job, he must be terrible

I am not fussy about announcers, but I hate Romo. The only other announcer I hated on his level was Joe Theisman

Loved him as a QB, but I thought he was terrible as an announcer. He never seen a QB he didn’t love.

I watched a Monday night game years ago & The Bears we’re playing the 49ers & they had the worst 2 QB’s I have ever seen face off & Joe was singing their praises and excusing all their mistakes.

Dorsey vs Krenzel - Bears 49ers 2004
Never seen a game with 2 worse quarterbacks,

I use to call Theisman the Eddie Haskell of Quarterbacks

Remember when Joe Buck, Aikman and Chris Collinsworth were a B team announcer crew back in the day? Buck and Aikman are now the top team with Nantz and Romo.

Any that watched football back in the day know how much better the announcing crews were.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back