PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Are the nationally broadcasted announcers mailing it in?

all the color guys are cookie cutter and told not to be controversial, they never take a firm position. Romo used to be good, Madden was great before he became a caricature of himself, Collinsworth is a pompous ass. I actually used to think Dierdorf was decent. Aikman was ok for awhile. Herbstreit is a complete waste of space. Beasley Reece was unintentional comedy gold back in the day....

all the color guys are cookie cutter and told not to be controversial, they never take a firm position. Romo used to be good, Madden was great before he became a caricature of himself, Collinsworth is a pompous ass. I actually used to think Dierdorf was decent. Aikman was ok for awhile. Herbstreit is a complete waste of space. Beasley Reece was unintentional comedy gold back in the day....
Don't know what happened to Romo, the first year he was good, now he's like all the other bland guys.

For some reason, Tirico and Michaels have annoyed me a lot more this year.

I really like Greg Gumbel. Maybe part of it's the nostalgia from the Panthers/Patriots SuperBowl and some older Pats games. Otherwise, I have no idea why he hasn't been poached by Fox yet, who have fairly weak pairings now. He's called some great moments/plays over the years too.

Don't know what happened to Romo, the first year he was good, now he's like all the other bland guys.
It's funny, I feel the same way, but know a lot of people that think he improved. It seems like the majority want to have a narrative repeated over and over opposed to any real discussion of the game.

I really like Greg Gumbel. Maybe part of it's the nostalgia from the Panthers/Patriots SuperBowl and some older Pats games. Otherwise, I have no idea why he hasn't been poached by Fox yet, who have fairly weak pairings now. He's called some great moments/plays over the years too.

It might be because he's 76 and doesn't want to be flying all around the country anymore. :)

I've kinda felt the last couple years we get assigned the bottom of the barrel crews fairly often.

Nantz is awful. Romo is good.
Buck and Aikman are good.
Collingsworth is more than just awful. Michaels is just as bad. Both are pieces of **** in my opinion.
All the rest of the play and color announcers are awful, at least the ones I've heard. Most of the time I mute the bob tube.
The in house guys are a mix of good and bad. I like the Seymour group most of the time.
I like the Pats radio guys.

Last edited:
I don't listen to them much anymore. I'll put the volume down just the right amount so I don't hear what they're saying.

However, I've heard enough to know that Colinsworth is the worst and Nantz (the original Asterjerk) isn't very far ahead of him.

Agree with all this except for HerbStreet; I don't think he's that bad... But Ancient Uncle Al Michaels needs to retire, completely and immediately... It's like the old dude now operates on his own person time delay...

For some reason, Tirico and Michaels have annoyed me a lot more this year.

I also like Greg Gumbel... He & Trent Green made one of the best on-air duos for a few years there... I don't mind Tirico either, especially when compared to Michaels.

Reactions: TBR
It's funny, I feel the same way, but know a lot of people that think he improved. It seems like the majority want to have a narrative repeated over and over opposed to any real discussion of the game.

Completely agree. Romo's just a ****ing clown now.

I listen to the Zoe and Bob on the radio, simultaneously watch the game usually on YouTube TV. They're rarely in sync, but I don't care.

Then I ususally rewatch the game on NFL+ later in the week. If I had to choose one or the other, I probably choose radio over any form of video. I think it goes back to my days of listening to Bob Wilson doing the Bruins' radio during the glory years. I have never enjoyed any sport more than listening to Wilson do the Bruins' games. I guess I am trying to replicate that experience. I love radio.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back