PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

idle thoughts- stepping back from the edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Another game, another win, another rash of complaints. God it is hard to be a Pats fan these days. ;)

I said it before the game, and I imagine I will say it for the next 3 weeks; NOTHING this team can do will satisfy the media/general fan base/and the denizens of Patsfans.com. That being said here are a few observations and opinions on the game and the weekend in general

1.Lost in the "sturm and drang" of all the yards that the Redskins gained this week, is the "small" fact that the Pats D only gave up 7 points the entire 2nd half. It makes one wonder what it could do if we had the talent that they do on the Cowboys and Giants. You know those teams that gave up 22 and 17 points respectively in their game last night. :rolleyes:

2. Also lost in the complaints was the stellar job Matt Light did. Brian Orakbu is one of the best pass rushers in the game and I don't remember even hearing his name all game, The same could be said for the most part for Nate Solder as well

3. One of a number of pet peeves I had to endure from this broadcast team was their CONSTANT reminders that the Redskins had to play with 2 new starting OTs. Granted that was a story, but I could never understand what it seemingly wasn't as story that the Pats were playing with their 4th string C and a rookie LT. I guess I can assume that injuries aren't an excuse for the Pats, just the rest of the league. (a perception btw, which probably makes BB very happy)

4. Speaking of the OL, I wonder what Fleger thinks of the mighty Jets "system" that lets the OL fall apart with a single short term injury to Mangold, while the Pats go FOUR deep and barely skip a beat

5. One to the things that impressed me the most about Nick McDonald was when the coaches had to replace him early in the game after Brady was sacked on pressure up the middle. The took him out, talked to him, put him back, and it never happened again. Good coaching, better response.

6.Brady was dead wrong in his blow up on the sidelines. Wrong to blame the receiver. Wrong to make the throw, and Wrong to come back on his coach. Curran may be right that Brady is taking too much on his shoulders and the pressure is getting to him. That being said, I LOVED the fact that BOB went off on him. Unlike with guys like Manning and Farve, on the Pats even Tom F'n Brady isn't above hard coaching. And I LOVED Tom's chastened response after the game. He gave the perfect answer. Its now a non-story...not that THAT's going to stop the relentless media from trying to read more into it than it was.

7. 60% Completion rate - 357 yds 3 TDs and one pick - This the line on one of Brady's worst days in a few years. Amazing when you consider, at one point, he was 8 for 19. I have to say its been a long time since I saw him just flat out miss guys or be on a different page than his receivers so often Clearly it was just "one of those days". GOD, are we spoiled or WHAT!?

8. Brady has 3 very good receiving RBs, and one who is merely capable (BJGE) I have to think that he'd relieve a lot of pressure on himself and the rest of the receiving corps, if he threw the ball to these guys on a more regular basis than he has thus far this season. Last season Woodhead had 34 receptions in 14 games. This season he has 15 in 12. Time to get the RBs involved in passing game, while at the same time get the run game going better.

9. There was a good thread on the McCourty, here I my thoughts on that hot button issue Agree with those who felt that McCourty played a much better game yesterday, especially in the second half. The critical PI penalty that was called on McCourty was no worse that what the Skin DB did to Underwood which wasn't called. The difference between success and failure is THAT thin...and that arbitrary

I've said it before and I'll say it again. McCourty WASN'T beaten by Stallworth on that long gain. In man coverage, he's SUPPOSED to play the receiver from underneath. He was in perfect position. He was beaten by the perfect pass. Just like EVERY DB is when that occurs. Just like the Skin DB who was covering Gronk on one of his TDs. Perfect position....Perfect pass....TOUCHDOWN.

He made at least 4 very good plays in the second half that I can recall. And what was most telling was he made some in man coverage and some in zone. If I wanted to be CONSTRUCTIVELY critical, these would be some of the comments I would make and I'm sure they'll be echoed by his own coaches.

a. He needs to be more physical on the LOS. He has to vastly improve his jam. He is not consistent enough. This is a technique issue which will hopefully be improved on over the off season

b. He has to play more confidently. In other words be willing to take chances on the ball. See it, read it, believe it, then ACT on it. and damned be the consequences. That's the way Ty Law played. It seems to me that he sometimes plays it too safe. Willing to simply make the tackle rather than "make the play"

I guess know WHEN to do "go for it" and WHEN to play it safe are things that develop over time, and certainly NOT under the conditions when WRs are being drafted to do Safety duty.

10. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the secondary woes would have been largely mitigated if Barrett, Dowling, Bodden, and Chung has been able to remain healthy. It would have made cutting Merriweather, Sanders, and Page seem like more sense, though I still don't understand why Page wasn't given a chance the 2nd time around.

Still I think it makes more sense to criticize BB for this, than his drafting prowess or lack thereof. It can't be a good thing when you head into the playoffs where your top 3 safeties are 2 WRs stolen from the offense in midseason, and a career special teamer you just picked up AFTER the season began. How come THAT's not a story.

11. James Iheadabu is one tough SOB. And SHAME on those nitwits hiding in their basements to complain about him. He's doing a yeoman's job under very difficult circumstances, and yet you have these armchair QBs who'd be felled with a paper cut, complaining about a guy who is gutting it out to make sure that Sergio Brown doesn't have to see the field. Now THAT is what I call "taking one for the team" ;)

12. I can't do one of these without mentioning that Julian Edelman is one of the surer tackling DBs I've seen this year.....how does THAT figure?

13. Nice to see Dane Fletcher back on the field. He had some very good.....and very bad moments on the field. Too often I saw him run "under" blocks on that successful Redskin sweep. Though on the other hand, there were several time I saw him right in the thick of it on the LOS and it was my impression that he wasn't out of position in coverage. Certainly a lot of room to improve, given he's missed most of the season, but IMHO an instant upgrade over Gary Guyton

14. Redskin observations, since we don't see them often.

a. I LOVE London Fletcher. One tidbit BB threw out on Patriots All Access worth sharing, was that over the last 10 years, Fletcher has over 250 more tackes than Ray Lewis, and close 450 more than Urlacher. And nothing in his play yesterday would make me feel any less admiration for him.

b. Roy Hallu is a very nice RB who is going to gain a lot of yards in the old Denver running system

c. That make shift OL did a very nice job, overall against what was supposedly the strength of our defense.

15. While many may continue to beat the dead horse that is our secondary, my major complaint was how poorly the DL and LBs did against the Redskin pass protection and run game. Too many long runs and too little pressure on Grossman.

16 Two drops, Two flat out missed passes and the Pats might have had 3-4 more TDs instead of winding up with 2 FGs and a pick (I'm also counting missing a wide open Gronk) Can't be missing 4 or 5 opportunities like that against playoff competition.

17. FINALLY - The general ARBITRARY nature of the way the game is called is starting to vast diminish my enjoyment of the game. Just look at a few plays. The PI on McCourty in the first half is called and keeps a critical drive alive. A Skin DB does almost the exact same thing and gets a pick. Gronk gets a helmet to head as a defenseless receiver on the Skins GL which is ignored, (which was fine by my btw), while Grossman gets a flag for having his ankle touched. Then because of that they feel they have to call a needless flag on Fletcher, and then ANOTHER needless call (though a lot less egregious) on Wilfolk.
I saw Dedrick get a justified holding call on a play that I'd seen let go a dozen times before.

I just can't figure it out anymore. Every play is literally held hostage by the possibility that some ARBITRARY flag is going to erase a play from existence. There doesn't seem to be a single in complete pass that doesn't end with a flag or a player calling for a flag. And if its affecting a football lifer like me, imagine what its doing to the casual fan.

Didn't read your entire post, but there is something serious wrong when a fan base of a team tied for first place in their conference and has a solid lead on the division needs to be told to step back from the ledge.

First place, we are tied for first place. First place -- It is where you want to be.

17. FINALLY - The general ARBITRARY nature of the way the game is called is starting to vast diminish my enjoyment of the game. Just look at a few plays. The PI on McCourty in the first half is called and keeps a critical drive alive. A Skin DB does almost the exact same thing and gets a pick. Gronk gets a helmet to head as a defenseless receiver on the Skins GL which is ignored, (which was fine by my btw), while Grossman gets a flag for having his ankle touched. Then because of that they feel they have to call a needless flag on Fletcher, and then ANOTHER needless call (though a lot less egregious) on Wilfolk.
I saw Dedrick get a justified holding call on a play that I'd seen let go a dozen times before.

I just can't figure it out anymore. Every play is literally held hostage by the possibility that some ARBITRARY flag is going to erase a play from existence. There doesn't seem to be a single in complete pass that doesn't end with a flag or a player calling for a flag. And if its affecting a football lifer like me, imagine what its doing to the casual fan.

Great post. I've quoted the part that gets me as well. The NFL is sliding down the slope of becoming the NBA in regards to penalties.

Well said... thats what happens when a team has been so consistently good for at least 10 years. In Bellichick I Trust!

Didn't read your entire post, but there is something serious wrong when a fan base of a team tied for first place in their conference and has a solid lead on the division needs to be told to step back from the ledge.

First place, we are tied for first place. First place -- It is where you want to be.

Completely disagree. This is the worst 10-3 team this league has ever seen. Don't kid yourself.

Completely disagree. This is the worst 10-3 team this league has ever seen. Don't kid yourself.

"You are what your record says you are."

- Bill Parcells, former head coach of the New England Patriots.

Yea right...They may not be the best 10-3 team in the league but not worst ever. Any team with a hall of fame qb and head coach sitting at 10-3 is not even in the discussion as worst 10-3 ever. Don't kid yourself.

This is long enough to need to be broken into too parts.

16, On to Denver

a. Its been very interesting to watch the Denver offense evolve over the last month. It is a lot more challenging that it was a just a month ago. I grew up in coaching at a time where most HS teams ran some kind of option attack. There was the simple belly option, then leading to the wishbone, Houston veer, and read option attacks. Over time as the DC, I developed enough of a reputation for defending the option that I was regularly asked at clinics to give presentations on how we attacked various option attacks. I never thought that there would be a day when coaching the option for a defense would be in play in the NFL.

Basically when you get to the chalk board, ALL options are easy to defend. You simply need to assign one of 3 players who might carry the ball on any given play. The RB, the QB, and the pitchman. If it were only as simple as that.

What adds so much complexity to the mix is the myriad of what ifs that the option can present. Not only is the offense going to present, through formations and motions changes in responsibilities, but as a team, you also have to change responsibilities from time to time. So the DE who usually has the QB, will sometimes have to go directly to the pitchman with a SS taking the QB.

But the real key is NOT in scheming the defense on the chalk board, its how you COACH it on the field. Just putting a guy on a guy doesn't mean you have a play covered, especially at THAT level. So the problem the Pats will face is that with just 3 days of practice, they will have to create a strategy that not only gets the players in position to know their responsibilities intellectually, but have them comfortable enough that they play with the "COMFORT" to execute their assignments.

That's almost impossible to accomplish with just 3 practices and STILL take in the Bronco's regular run game and passing attack. Watch them yesterday made me think this was going to be a lot tougher game than I might have thought just a few weeks ago.

THis should be the subject of several interesting threads that will make this week more interesting that we've seen recently.

Another game, another win, another rash of complaints, another week for the ostriches to pretend that all is well and this is the land of unicorns and pixie dust.

Fixed your post.

I hope you are being as "ironical" and sarcastic as I was when I entitled this "stepping away from the edge"

Fixed your post.
No DI, I'm fully and painfully aware of the glaring flaws of this team. However I choose to ALSO be aware of the many good things that are occurring and I also recognize that OTHER teams also have flaws. Your ilk seem to think that "everyone else" have no problems and only the Pats have to endure such a flawed front office and personnel

That's another reason why I can get through the week without psychotropic medicines to ward away the perennial gloom, Of course that might chance if the NFL doesn't to do something to eliminate what seems to be the arbitrary nature of officiating. ;)

a. I LOVE London Fletcher. One tidbit BB threw out on Patriots All Access worth sharing, was that over the last 10 years, Fletcher has over 250 more tackes than Ray Lewis, and close 450 more than Urlacher. And nothing in his play yesterday would make me feel any less admiration for him.

Agree on Fletcher...guy doesn't get enough respect.

I was watching the game with my Dad yesterday, and I turned to him and sais almost exactly this:

The arbitrary, uneven penalties (on both teams, not just against the Pats) are REALLY causing me to enjoy the NFL less and less. Ticky-tack penalties get called, and obvious ones don't. Like patfanken said, every single time the ball goes up, I'm almost holding my breath waiting for a flag. Every incompletion, every long bomb, I've come to EXPECT that a flag is going to change the play.

The NFL really needs to simplify the rulebook, have the refs keep the flags in their pockets a bit, and help bring back some defense. Or at least CONSISTENTLY make the calls.

It didn't help that yesterday we had Tripplette - who IMNSHO is one of the worst refs in the game.

I will say this: Ihedigbo is tough. But he's also not very good. It's fair, I think, to blame the coaching staff for putting the team in a position where he is your starting safety. I do hope he's able to ride the Kyle Arrington train from ST ace to serviceable starter.

I agree with you re: Fletcher. Thankfully when Spikes returns we'll have our optimal rotation of Spikes on running downs and Fletcher on passing downs.

I am sorry, but this is downright dumb. I mean, I am as concerned about the Patriots chances of competing for a SuperBowl as anyone on this board, but have you watched the Steelers, Ravens and 49ers play this season? They are as inconsistent as they come too. An argument could very well be made that the Pats aren't even the worst 10-3 team this season, let alone of all time.

It would have made cutting Merriweather, Sanders, and Page seem like more sense, though I still don't understand why Page wasn't given a chance the 2nd time around.

Yeah, why wasn't Page given a 2nd chance? Is he hurt?

Of course that might chance if the NFL doesn't to do something to eliminate what seems to be the arbitrary nature of officiating. ;)
If you are saying the pats poor performance's are due in part to poor officiating please don't go there, everyone else has to deal with it too. Blaming the officiating is the last bastion of hope, the jests posters blame the refs for their failures.

Gool post although I think you missed the boat on 6, are falling into the easy out trap on 8, and forgot this isn't last year on 9. BOB was totally out of line on the sidelines, Brady was coaching up a street FA WR who needed to be coached up (and Brady sadly does most of it on this offense because he's the most qualified to). Miscommunications are largely not Brady's perview... And neither BJGE who is battling injury not Faulk who just came back from one after what was to be his final season for a reason nor Woody who has battled some injuries and not quite the heady secret weapon he was last season are as reliable as they need to be for Brady to start relying on them.

He relies on his playmakers, as BB instructs him to, always has, and that always included the guys who were open only when they were open where they should be...as well as the guys who found ways to make plays even when they weren't. His own adaptability has always been his rock. And that is why guys follow him to hell and back. Including his HC. Not sure they'd follow BOB anywhere because he hasn't earned that level of confidence and trust yet and he didn't exactly bolster that widely held opinion yesterday.

LOL! The Pats have one of the best offenses in the league.

Apparently you didn't watch the Colts last year. I don't even need to go back more than one year and find a team that was 10-3 after 13 games that were clearly worse than the Pats this year. That team had a cake schedule and only went 10-6.

Page was a free agent. He chose to play of the eagles who cut him last month. He now plays for Minny.

Yeah, why wasn't Page given a 2nd chance? Is he hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back