PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Preseason Game 3: Patriots Lose 23-7 to the Titans - REACTIONS Thread

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Has any one person said a positive word about the offense that makes any sense, or the Defense, or the coaching, or the ticket sales? Does the ****ter still work, Captain and your I Hate Bill Apostles? Is your Crawhammer BS getting old yet. How many triggers do you have? PP2, Patsfan 2, Borne Again? I love the idiot ID that is Realfan2 that can't put a full sentence together, yet has been caught by an honest person on this board for backtracking their own quotes.

I like this board Ian. It could be great. Let's hope it will be in the future.

Has any one person said a positive word about the offense that makes any sense, or the Defense, or the coaching, or the ticket sales? Does the ****ter still work, Captain and your I Hate Bill Apostles? Is your Crawhammer BS getting old yet. How many triggers do you have? PP2, Patsfan 2, Borne Again? I love the idiot ID that is Realfan2 that can't put a full sentence together, yet has been caught by an honest person on this board for backtracking their own quotes.

I like this board Ian. It could be great. Let's hope it will be in the future.
Okay, what positive thing did you see out of the offense in the three preseason games?

I'll hang up and listen.

Please provide a recent example of this happening

Thanks

I'm too lazy to do that, sorry.

But it's common sense that you don't play your best players much in preseason (example: Judon only played one quarter the entire preseason, IIRC). So it follows that whoever you put out there for an extended period of time, you don't consider them part of your long-term plan.

The line sucks so bad he could have that many sacks in three games
Bama Mac sack - Good QB, but OL sucks.
Zappe sack - No good doesnt belong in NFL.

The concept of dealing with pressure applies, regardless of what string of player you’re playing with. It took almost half the season last year before their offensive line settled in. It’s absolutely relevant. The same can be said about anyone who wants to criticize Zappe entirely based on last night or based entirely on this preseason. It wouldn’t be fair given who he had in front of him. Albeit, it still wasn’t his best work.
It's whatever the opposite of complimentary football is in team parlance. Uncomplimentary football? Unpropitious football?

We've seen that quick pressure "resets" Jones' quick release and decision making abilities and he has to rebuild (and it doesn't seem to be an instantaneous process like it is with the greats).

It's happened the past two seasons - the OL gives up quick pressure...then Mac makes a couple rushed decisions (or no decisions holding the ball way too long becoming a self fulfilling prophecy and making the OL look even worse with additional sacks). The offense sputters...the defense is on the field way too long and is figured out (because there is no "unfigureoutable defense")...and they're down two scores.

So both the OL and the QB have a part in the offensive issue...even the WRs/TEs/RBs if unable to get open very quickly has a role.

The only difference is this year is having a seasoned experienced OC MIGHT be able to assist a little. Knowing what play to call when...allowing checks at the line...scheme like bunches and motion to get quick openings for throws...we just have to hope that it's enough to at least allow the strength of the team - the defense - to not be on the field 45 minutes a game.

I don't care, I can't stand it

The Greatest thread in Patsfans history. It needs to be recalled and stickied as the first in a Patsfans Thread HOF.

There was also a thread the week after the K.C. Loss in 2014 where Deus went position by position making the argument hat Belichick had built the worst roster in the NFL, that also deserves Thread HOF consideration, especially given that they then went on to win the Super Bowl. Overall that season may have produced the greatest threads in Patsfans history, although the Brady/ Bledsoe debates of 2002-2002 were certainly right there with it.

Last edited:
I can't recall a more disjointed training camp during the BB era. Our Oline injuries seemd to hold us hostage to any possible flow, rythem and development. Anderson and Strange still MIA. After a month of camp I quite literally have no idea what we have on offense??

Were you around last year?

I'm too lazy to do that, sorry.

But it's common sense that you don't play your best players much in preseason (example: Judon only played one quarter the entire preseason, IIRC). So it follows that whoever you put out there for an extended period of time, you don't consider them part of your long-term plan.
That's true. There's no need to put a proven player in an unnecessarily harmful position.
However you hinted that players that play late into pre season are being show-cased for a trade.
I do not recall our team making such a trade.
If anything, such players may actually be playing for the last time since they will soon be cut . :(

Last edited:
When I read a parenthetical personal attack, my guess is that the next line's not going to be a work of genius.

To your point about how the Patriots offense "obviously got down the field quite a bit," how many yards of total offense did they generate?
No, my friend, real genius is being a "fan" of something because it gives you something to incessantly ***** about. Being a "fan" because the product in question allows you to flood your brain with anger and stress and roar like a wounded lion...over entertainment.

That is true genius. Felger & Mazz-level genius.

Sorry if someone already mentioned this but…is it fair to ask if Levis (released by Dal) is better than Zappe?

No, my friend, real genius is being a "fan" of something because it gives you something to incessantly ***** about. Being a "fan" because the product in question allows you to flood your brain with anger and stress and roar like a wounded lion...over entertainment.

That is true genius. Felger & Mazz-level genius.
I'm narrowly tailoring my response, because you guys clearly have history on the thread that it's not my mission to know. I just got a tiny bit put off by the level of vitriol, and then put way the hell off when it was followed by this statement that the Patriots obviously got down the field quite a bit. They generated offensive yards in the 70s. That's why you didn't answer. Okay I am in another thing. I don't know the deep argument here. Carry on.

I'm narrowly tailoring my response, because you guys clearly have history on the thread that it's not my mission to know. I just got a tiny bit put off by the level of vitriol, and then put way the hell off when it was followed by this statement that the Patriots obviously got down the field quite a bit. They generated offensive yards in the 70s. That's why you didn't answer. Okay I am in another thing. I don't know the deep argument here. Carry on.
The Patriots offense was terrible last year, but they had tons of scoring opportunities, as shown by the number of field goals. They were in position, whether through turnover for Folk to be fifth in the league in FGs at 32. Folk doesn't kick 60-yarders, barely 50-yarders, which is why I responded to FCB (who is nothing but a Pat-hater) in the way I did. They were 17th in offense, which is middle of the pack, according to his post, which he highlighted by emphasizing the 32 Folks FGs.

Logically, since those typically weren't kicks beyond the opposition's 40, which means the team was near or below the opposition's 30-yard-line, the Pats, with a decent red zone offense could have been much higher than middle of the pack if they were merely competent in that one area (which, you'll note, was the primary focus of TC this year.

Yes, I threw some shade - that poster is right up there with Craw as pure troll material. You'll note I don't throw shade at Captain, because, for all his outrage and grumpiness, he actually contributes a lot here and (if you follow his pre-draft comments) has a deep understanding of the game.

Were you around last year?

Agree completely, and the Newton pre-season was bad as well. Overall the rebuild pre-seasons have been really poor.

Okay, what positive thing did you see out of the offense in the three preseason games?

I'll hang up and listen.
As I stated earlier, it was a weird pre-season, where we didn't see much of anything from players who would be starting.

If you look at the OL in PS, you probably feel like the Chiefs did in the Superbowl against Tampa, when Mahomes looked mortal and was running for his life. To fix that OL, perhaps the Pats should go and get...

A starting IOL/OT with great chops. Maybe they should inquire about Michael Onwenu.
A starting Left Guard...I hear there's a former 1st-rounder who had a good rookie year out there by the name of Cole Strange.
A starting Center. David Andrews is older, but considered very good.

Brown, Strange, Andrews, Reiff (hope he's okay), Onwenu should be a good line.
Brown, Strange, Andrew, Onwenu, Sow/Reiff? I think the same.
Mafi looks like an NFL guard.

We didn't see the OL, obviously, but we did see that Mafi and Sow are keepers, Reiff should contribute at least for a bit, and Hines and Roussey (although I expect it will be Ferentz again) should stick around. Other than injuries, Jake Andrews is really the only one who didn't live up to my hopes - but he's got time.
Other hopeful things I saw from the offense: Kayshon Boutte showed me a lot. Sokol might work out, Bourne looks dialed in again. We didn't see Pop Douglas, Parker, Juju...so who knows?
The one time Mac was out there with the starters, they moved the ball down the field.

But yeah, there's really not much to hang your hat on offensively, given what little they showed. The Pats were running guys who will be off the roster on Tuesday out there against other teams' starters half the time.

It doesn't matter if Grier is better (he could be), you don't grab a QB to be your backup with no reps in your system this close to the season, so it's a moot point.
I'd feel better if it had been a mute point.

Re Zappe: Phil Perry made a good point. This is the first time he has ever been asked to run a complex offense. He may be struggling picking up concepts and understanding reads that may come in time.

He didn’t have a complex offense in college. Last year Patricia dumbed down the offense last year to the point of stupidity and dumbed it down even more for Zappe...

And it worked.

Might've worked vs da Bears if he had been given most of the reps that week and then started the game... Would've absolutely worked vs the Jete & Clots the next two weeks better than the crap Mac flung around against them.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back