PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Preseason Game 3: Patriots Lose 23-7 to the Titans - REACTIONS Thread

Immediate Postgame Reactions
I know why they do it, but the Patriots approach to exhibitions - almost random back end of the roster rotations - makes it almost criminal to charge admission. As Bill admits, those that get practice reps (i.e. the first two layers of the depth chart) get the least time preseason game time. It's painful to watch. If you can't get to one of the open practices, just tune out until the season opener.

A lot of people also put a lot of pressure on Zappe this preseason when the kid was still trying to find himself after a long offseason where he clearly put a lot of work in to fix his own issues as well as get stronger. But obviously, he's still adjusting with the whole arm angle thing he focused on. Factor in their offensive line issues, and it was a recipe for a tough performance.

But it's a reminder that a lot of the issues Jones dealt with last year were indeed real and went beyond people just making excuses for him. It's tough for any QB to be successful in that situation, regardless of how well you move around the pocket. Zappe will figure it out, but I'm sure it was probably a bit of a wake-up call for him.

Overall, hopefully, the starting line is a little more stable in a couple of weeks when they face the Eagles. That's going to ultimately decide how far they go, and with Reiff getting injured, it's another problem that will be something to watch. Would be nice to see them potentially land someone else who might be serviceable when the rosters get pared down. Fingers crossed there.

Not a good night statistically:

Number of plays: 42
Total Net Yards: 79
Average gain 1.9

Third down: 3-of-11
3 Fumbles (all by Zappe), 1 lost

Time of possession:
Patriots: 21:22
Titans: 38:38

Needless to say, definitely glad preseason is over. ;)

By and large a disappointing preseason dominated by OL woes. I'm glad it's over, hoping to be pleasantly surprised when the real bullets fly.

I’m not sure Cunningham will be scooped by another team on the PS after all. He’s as raw a prospect as it gets and it shows.
Does anyone still think Zappe is better than Mac?

I'm a bit concerned about backup QB overall. Zappe struggled all preseason and McSorley did nothing. I'd feel better if there was a somewhat serviceable experienced veteran in that room behind Mac.

I'm a bit concerned about backup QB overall. Zappe struggled all preseason and McSorley did nothing. I'd feel better if there was a somewhat serviceable experienced veteran in that room behind Mac.

With the way O’Connell has looked for Vegas I wonder if Hoyer becomes expendable.

Just got home from the game and that was awful. Hotter than BALLS and boring as hell. Literally almost fell asleep. I hope Zappe fever is over and it was nice seeing Mapu out there. Jack Jones also looked terrible….like really bad.

With the way O’Connell has looked for Vegas I wonder if Hoyer becomes expendable.

I never understood why he was let go to begin with. Maybe he rubbed BB the wrong way over Patricia.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back