PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Preseason Game 3: Patriots Lose 23-7 to the Titans - REACTIONS Thread

Immediate Postgame Reactions
It, however, is troubling when you see a backup quarterback play nearly all the snaps in the last preseason game. That is usually a sign that they are showcasing him for a trade.

Please provide a recent example of this happening

Thanks

Re Zappe: Phil Perry made a good point. This is the first time he has ever been asked to run a complex offense. He may be struggling picking up concepts and understanding reads that may come in time.

He didn’t have a complex offense in college. Last year Patricia dumbed down the offense last year to the point of stupidity and dumbed it down even more for Zappe.

Last season, overall, including THIRTY TWO FOLK! field goals, the offense ranked #17 the OFFENSE scored total of 31 touchdowns in 17 games, less than TWO a game.
This doesn't make your (typically-whining) case. The Patriots offense obviously got down the field quite a bit, but simply couldn't finish. They had no Red Zone offense.

Fix that and play like last year and they'll be very much in the top 10, yes?

I'm not liking our chances against the Eagles given what we've seen.
The Eagles were a Superbowl team last year and have returned most of their firepower. The Patriots weren't a playoff team and have a ton of injuries on their OL. Why would anyone be "liking our chances"?

I just hope we don't get embarrassed on opening night. Eagles fans can be very obnoxious and they would love to RUB in a big win against us.
If that bothers you, I don't know what to tell you.

bold prediction - the Pats will sign one or more guys cut from other teams and said player(s) will play a considerable # of snaps for this team. The lack of talent on this roster is absolutely astounding.
In prior pre seasons there was always some wr or rb (or even QB) who turned some heads (like Tyquan Thornton in the film room) and we'd feel some degree of confidence in the depth on this team.
There is no depth, none, zilch, nada. none of the receivers that played last night have any business being on an XFL roster, nevermind an NFL roster. The offensive line was a complete sieve.
Was Bill the GM smoking crack when he assembled this team? I'm talking offense here because in 2023 you need POINTS to win.
We've seen time and time again that Bill the Coach's defenses wilt vs good teams and the offense can't score more than 21 points without major f#ck ups from the other team.
You cannot win in 2023 with FOLK! as many in here seem to think.
I'm now convinced that Bill the Coach still thinks he can win in 2023 with special teams, defense, and 20 points.
You are right on...couldn't agree more, BB the coach is great but BB the GM sucks he did nothing to fix this team's 2022 deficiencies.

I myself am a "fan" of good QB play and a "hater" of bad QB play.

Both QBs kinda suck, but Zappy should've started vs da Bears, where I think he would've done enough to merit the starts vs the Jete & Clots, two games Corky "won" despite being absolutely PUTRID in them.

That's as far as my being a Zappy "fan" goes.
No question Mac had no business starting the Bears game and BB handled that situation as terribly as it could be handled.

This doesn't make your (typically-whining) case. The Patriots offense obviously got down the field quite a bit, but simply couldn't finish. They had no Red Zone offense.

I too believe they will be in the top ten in the AFC East, perhaps as high as 4th if everything falls into place.

Zappe: I thought that by his play last year he earned a legit shot at the starting position, by which I meant more reps in practice w/ the starters, maybe some time in games if it made sense, and so forth. I said at the time that I thought Mac would very probably win that competition, but that that projection did not mean Zappe had not earned a shot. Mutatis mutandis Zappe has now had his shot, and he lost. Fair enough. I have no apology to offer for my views back then. Heck, it was hard to figure out what was going on last year with Belichick's dumb appointment of his aging know-nothing pals as offensive whiz kids.

Mac: I think he's a middle-of-the-road, dead-average QB. He's smart and accurate, but his long throws are iffy, and he offers very little by way of the sort of athleticism which enhances the value and expands the options of many qb's these day. He's maybe 85% of the way toward being a "good enough" "franchise quarterback," but I think it's a real question whether he can traverse that final 15%. He too, of course, gets a pass behind last year's irresponsibly incompetent coaching. but it would have been nice to have seen at least a little light coming through between the cracks last year. The tantrums? Meh, he had his reasons to be p----d.

Malik: I find him interesting. I have seen little, maybe nothing, to suggest that he can be a worthwhile NFL receiver. I doubt his value as a special teamer, though real, is anything like enough to get him a roster spot on that basis. I see him as an intriguing QB prospect who might play a little New Age Odd Ball from time to time for our hidebound Patriots, who always look as if they might relapse at any moment into leather helmet era football. I think he could mimic in practice the zippy sorts of qb's the D will increasingly face. I don't think we know enough to say that "he can't throw" (One hears this fairly often, in the form of an unsupported assertion). I think he has enough skill in enough areas to become as good a back up as the reliably mediocre (at best) Zappe. And I think it's not out of the realm of possibility he could become some sort of starter. The prospect of Zappe's becoming a starter is zero, I think, so I would give Malik the nod in this respect. So I'd like to hold onto him. I think the Pats are floating propaganda and keeping him under wraps as a way of enhancing the likelihood he would pass through wavers, but I think teams see through that. One hears that teams will not want to part with "players they have worked with" in order to take him on, but there are players on most initial rosters with whom teams have "worked" only to discover the player isn't really worth as much as they had hoped. Such players do find their ways onto initial rosters and are very much subject to being tossed overboard in favor of such a bright bauble as Malik. So I don't think he'd get through wavers.

All this considered, I'm going to stick with my geeked out, breathless fanboy twit suggestion of two weeks ago. QB1: Mac. QB2: Malik. Run Zappe through wavers. If he makes it, keep him. If he doesn't, find some crusty old practice squad vet with a little gas still sloshing around in his tank, in case Malik turns out to be what you all are about to tell me he is.

And you're probably right.

Last edited:
Your boy Alabama has basically seen no action.
I don't know if you know about kennth ''game day'' sims. he was the #1 overall pick in 1982 by the pats. When asked why he didn't practice hard he said that he was saving it for "game day'' .he had 17 sacks in 8 years as a defensive end.

I can't recall a more disjointed training camp during the BB era. Our Oline injuries seemd to hold us hostage to any possible flow, rythem and development. Anderson and Strange still MIA. After a month of camp I quite literally have no idea what we have on offense??

I can't recall a more disjointed training camp during the BB era. Our Oline injuries seemd to hold us hostage to any possible flow, rythem and development. Anderson and Strange still MIA. After a month of camp I quite literally have no idea what we have on offense??

its called zigging

OL is getting too damn expensive so should be dismissed as a concept
plus puts the hide and seek game on a whole new level..

-.-

Zappe is not an NFL QB. Too short, arm too weak, indecisive.
Pats had their chance and could have traded a fourth for Lance, who will be an ascending talent.
The team and coaches have really demonstrated no reason for optimism for the season.

I think it was a huge mistake to not bring in true competition for MAC during training camp.
Ascending talent based on what? He can't possibly suck any worse than he does now?

Ascending talent based on what? He can't possibly suck any worse than he does now?

Started four games where he had a QB Rating about 15 points lower than Zappe did in his limited action. Then follows that up by being 3rd on a depth chart behind Sam Darnold. Clearly a player on the rise...

Now that I'm sober, I decided to do a play by play (opposite of expert) analysis of the line / offense in general for one of the worst Pats offensive games I've watched in recent memory. I thought the line had some bad moments early on, but that's what happens when mostly 3rd and 4th string offense are going against mostly 1st and 2nd string defense. Overall the line play wasn't.... terrible, but I indicated bad plays with **. Poor Zappe - but the fumbles are all on him. Gotta take care of the ball. WR play was just bad, and I think that had more to do with the loss than the QB play. I don't remember a preseason game where we didn't even get to see a decent amount of the WR6 (although we saw "him," aka Boutte, for a play or so). BB's got a lot of confidence in these rookie WRs.

--------

Opening Harris run was good
Harris loss - right side was all bad (JAndrews, Reiff, Sow) **
Sokol "drop" / pinch high throw

Steuber - strip sack turnover ** - against projected starting DL Autry from Titans depth chart page

Harris short gain - this to me is on Steuber ** - again against 10yr vet Autry
Quick throw to Sokol 1.85s TtT for 5yds
3rd down Everybody lost (Flag 1st down) **
JJ short gain - #50LB just walked in - not sure whom to blame here - maybe bad line call?
JJ screen was nice
Harris loss - this was on the TEs blocking (Sokol/Firk)
Pitts drop - throw was not perfect but catchable
Sacked at 3.45s - that's on Zap (or coverage sack)

Line looked good - short dump off to Firk, Pitts looked open at 1st down marker mid field
Harris 4+yds - Line had good push
2yd run 1st down - good enough (Reiff injury)
Pitts slant 1.64 TtT - nice YAC
Harris TD - line was good

McSorley
Webb drop - Murray whiff led to hurried throw **
Strong short gain - Safety just walked in - Bad play call
Webb drop - Sorley quick 10yd throw on the money (encroachment flag)
McSor sack - Hines whiff **

Zappe
Way too deep drop on PA - miss to Cunny, who had a step on his man
Toss to Strong for 9
Strong 2yds good enough hole for 1st
Super quick down the line to Pitts for 2yds

Cunny
5yd qb run
6yd qb run for 1st - NOPE CMON - flag not enough men on LOS

Zappe
Miss to Pitts, who turned the wrong way - imho throw was fine

Strong 5yd run - line good enough
1.85s TTT - Malik "drop" - Pass was way behind him, but Zo indicates due to zone, Zap prob wanted him to sit a little there - Just needs to learn the position -
Strong 5yd catch for 1st - Line was good
Quick throw to Pitts slant well covered
Strong 7yd - line was great
Miss to Malik - Zo blames Cunny's route, but imho, this was on Zappe - even with a good route it would've been a bad miss
Strong 7yd catch - flag on D holding - so nullified
Maliks' 1st catch for 1yd loss - Horrrrrrible whiff block by Pitts on WR screen
Strong 7yd catch - grreat move to avoid a loss on the play
Zappe fumble - was touched at 4.1s - throw it away dude

Punt - JJ Taylor what are you doing bringing it out like that? Start at 3yd line

Cunny
Strong - no gain - Bad play call - 2TE on the right side where he went had no push
Strong 5yd good run - line good enough to create small hole
Zappe fumble - hit at 2.93s
Strong 2yd run - maybe bad line call - LB unblocked with free OL Hines after double team
Cunny sack - line was good here - Cunny could've thrown to ScottyW but was spooked for some reason
Cunny miss to Pitts 3.04TTT - hit just after release - Steuber could've been better here on the stunt
ScottyW drop - would've been a moderately tough catch, put Malik placed it perfectly

I don't know if you know about kennth ''game day'' sims. he was the #1 overall pick in 1982 by the pats. When asked why he didn't practice hard he said that he was saving it for "game day'' .he had 17 sacks in 8 years as a defensive end.
Alabama Mac will have more sacks than that.

The Eagles were a Superbowl team last year and have returned most of their firepower. The Patriots weren't a playoff team and have a ton of injuries on their OL. Why would anyone be "liking our chances"?

If that bothers you, I don't know what to tell you.
The Eagles lost 5 starters on defense.

When I read a parenthetical personal attack, my guess is that the next line's not going to be a work of genius.

To your point about how the Patriots offense "obviously got down the field quite a bit," how many yards of total offense did they generate?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back