PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Preseason Game 2 Thread Pats @ Texans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bolden is the odd man out IMO.

That still leaves 6 RBs on a stacked offense.

3 QBs
3 TEs
5 WRs
9 OL
6 RB

That would be 26.

Bolden is the odd man out. He's not as versatile as Lewis and his ST contributions could come from Burkhead. I would hang on to Foster.

Wouldn't you consider Lewis and Foster similar RB's making one of them redundant? That's what I've always thought.

You bring in Tebow thinking 'mechanics need work but there's so much good stuff there it's worth the risk.' I think you do it with a 2nd rounder, though, Josh was dumb to draft him in the 1st.

Tebow just couldn't do it, though. He's an extreme example but man did his passes ride high. Still there were those times where suddenly he'd put it together and it was fun to watch. The point is that Jacoby's edging towards the category of 'not going to fix his mechanics in time to keep a roster spot, if ever.'

I'll be shocked if he doesn't make the final 53 this year though. Hell, if Rohan, Mallett and Cassel can keep roster spots on this team, Jacoby can.

Cassel made a Pro Bowl after leaving here, Mallet was here for a very short period and Rohan was not backing up a 40 year old and an unproven young player. His delivery is ugly as sin and he is getting worse instead of better. I don't think they will cut him. But they need to start looking into other options.

Then again, James White was terrible before last year. Biggest jump from a player I have ever seen. I will trust Bill's judgement. He also has a habit of holding onto guys like Bolden who seem useless to most of us on the outside. He has his reasons, whatever they may be. So who knows with Jacoby. But with Jimmy struggling out QB depth chart is a concern. As it probably is for all the other teams. It's hard to find one good QB, let alone 2 or 3.

I just finished watching the game (couldn't watch it yesterday). Hard to evaluate since we were playing pretty basic schemes on both sides of the ball (especially on offense)

QB: Brady looked great, Jimmy G looked more on point (we ran so much, that stats wise his numbers were just going to be good)
RB: Burkhead looked good, when he had a chance to explode he did - wanted to see a bit more power, but i was impressed. Dion looked more much more explosive than last game
WR: I liked Carr and O'shaungessy obviously,
OL: gave both QBs good time, hard to judge in a such a basic scheme

Houston - Ellington looked really good, not impressed by Watson, but he's a rookie

Yeah, but for real this time, not like all those other years where he was the odd man out.
Pretty sure Belichick even came right out and said that his spot was never really in question last year. The real question will be whether or not that was due to his veteran ace ST presence, or simply due to lesser competition.

It's one thing to assume that Burkhead can take over his ST reps, and another to assume that he's close to being on the same level as Bolden on those units. Only time will tell what happens, but Bolden's certainly a guy who could be released then brought back when the IR decisions are made.

That still leaves 6 RBs on a stacked offense.

3 QBs
3 TEs
5 WRs
9 OL
6 RB

That would be 26.
Are we sure that Hollister is such a special player around the rest of the league that he wouldn't make it onto the PS if they somehow chose to keep more of a receiving threat vs. a blocking TE/ST player?

I don't think it will matter anyway, since I'm expecting O'Shaughnessy to be the 3rd TE, but I'm looking for positions that could be shaved down.

Are we sure that Hollister is such a special player around the rest of the league that he wouldn't make it onto the PS if they somehow chose to keep more of a receiving threat vs. a blocking TE/ST player?

I don't think it will matter anyway, since I'm expecting O'Shaughnessy to be the 3rd TE, but I'm looking for positions that could be shaved down.

I'm not sure about Hollister, but I don't expect BB to risk going with just 2 TEs, when he's got the two china dolls (Gronk, Allen) in the first slots.

I'm not sure about Hollister, but I don't expect BB to risk going with just 2 TEs, when he's got the two china dolls (Gronk, Allen) in the first slots.

Whatever happens the battle for TE 3 has been a fun one to watch. Hollister has definitely forced the conversation.

On TE's I think O'Shaughnessy gets the nod for #3 TE and might be closer to #2 than we think think. Him with the First Team on ST's like RB Rex Burkhead makes him an automatic Game Day active *we know how BB praises good ST's players*. Dwayne Allen will get a run for the #2 spot from Shags. I see Jacob Hollister a PS guy I wouldn't shed a tear over losing him.

My post pre-season game 2 roster

QB (3) T.Brady, J.Garoppolo, J.Brissett - I don't see how they don't keep three. I believe one way or another we lose one of our top 2 QBs next year and to risk loosing Brisset while only having 1 guy familar with running the offense is problematic.

RB (6) M.Gillislee, J.White, R.Burkhead, D.Lewis, J.Develin, B.Bolden - Bolden is an okay RB. Not good but okay. However if he makes it that will be due to his STs value. I think he does make it for that but I will not put him on the purely STs spot.

WR (5) B.Cooks, J.Edelman, C.Hogan, M.Mitchell, D.Amendola - No surprises here. Sad to test fate with Carr and Lucien but you can't cut any of these guys.

TE (3) R.Gronkowski, D.Allen, J.O'Shaughnessy - Hollister has made a strong case to say but a TE's job is also to block. From a WR skill set POV he is the best but his blocking lacks. O'Shaughnessy did just enough with decent pass catching to show he should be the guy at this point.

OL (8) D.Andrews, S.Mason, J.Thuney, T.Karras, N.Solder, M.Cannon, T.Garcia, C.Fleming - A bit thin on the OL but not much they can do about it. Flemming was good at times last year and good tonight. He has shown more than any other back up as far as ability to be good at times so he gets the nod. Karras had a rough night but still firmly in his spot and I am confident he will be fine.

DE (4) T.Flowers, D.Wise, K.Ealy L. Guy - First surprise is only 3 DEs. Geneo just has not shown enough to keep nor has anyone else. Maybe a trade happens but if not they go with these 3. However this will Change Lawrence Guy's role on the team a lot. He has DE experience and will see his action a lot more from this spot so you would still rotate 4 guys on the outside. Guy would see a few snaps inside here and there.

DT (4) A.Branch, M.Brown, V.Valentine, A.Butler - Like I said Guy will see most of his snaps to help give the DEs a rest and hold the edge. He will see a few inside still but not many so now the DTs are a bit thin. This makes the decision to carry Butler much easier. Also if your pass rush will not be that good from the outside it makes you want to keep an inside pass rusher more.

LB (5) D.Hightower, D.Harris, E.Roberts, H.Langi, S.McClellin - Who plays outside and inside remains to be seen somewhat. I do think Hightower plays outside more to help pass rush but it will be more fluid this year. Langi is firmly a lock in my mind. I think you say good bye to Nav Noy and Freeney. Roberts is intriguing and young with upside but still has a lot to learn and worth trying to develop further. McClellin who i don't like much makes the cut due to experience and being out of position the least of the other guys.

CB (6) M.Butler, S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, C.Jones, J.Jones, K.Moore - Moore is a guy i think they really have to try to keep. We don't know what he is yet but i like what i see. Cyrus has made a case to stay if nothing than as a kick returner (finally). He is back on for now but not a lock for sure. 1 game won't do that. Also he played CB better than I have seen him ever play it yesterday. J. Jones is a STs ace and still can grow as a CB.

S (4) D.McCourty, D.Harmon, P.Chung, N.Ebner - Richards get the ax here. A bit light but no need carrying dead weight. Also I think Ebner has turned into an okay safety in some situations.

ST (5) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona, M.Slater, B.King - No surprises here. Slater is an emergency WR and King is the emergency small LB/big safety

Csn post game like a funeral... Someone tell these dipschitts THST they don't throw to 87 or 11 in preseason on purpose!

The irony of you posting a 'perspective' post calling others "dipschitts'" is rich.

Last edited:
Said to my buddy during the game... "remember a few years ago when Detroit blew them out in preseason...everyone panicked....pats still went 12-4

Irony, thy name is FCB02062............

Are you really that self-unaware?

Said to my buddy during the game... "remember a few years ago when Detroit blew them out in preseason...everyone panicked....pats still went 12-4
Aren't you the same guy who made this board pretty much unreadable last year when a few things were not going exactly right for the Pats. You were more than panicky claiming it was time for pitchers and catchers and the season was over.

That was you wasn't it?

Wouldn't you consider Lewis and Foster similar RB's making one of them redundant? That's what I've always thought.
I do not see them as similar. I see
Lewis as an all purpose back who can run inside and out, and handle many receiving and KR responsibilities. Foster is a 3rd down back who can do a little running, but will see only spot situational duty.

I do not see them as similar. I see
Lewis as an all purpose back who can run inside and out, and handle many receiving and KR responsibilities. Foster is a 3rd down back who can do a little running, but will see only spot situational duty.

Ok. That makes more sense.

Aren't you the same guy who made this board pretty much unreadable last year when a few things were not going exactly right for the Pats. You were more than panicky claiming it was time for pitchers and catchers and the season was over.

That was you wasn't it?
Again, put me on ignore and your problem is solved

Again, put me on ignore and your problem is solved

Wow what a ****y cop out maneuver. LMAO.

No no my friend. That is not how it works here. First, you do not tell me (or others here) what to do. Second, you dont get to act like a complete ass here, taunt and torture the board with your juvenile behavior, and then all of a sudden just act like all is ok - it never happened.

Everyone cements their rep here. Unfortunately for you, you decided to take the road you did.

See, this is how the real world works - so someday when you get out in the real world you can thank me for preparing you for it. The first rule of fight club here is you dont just get to act anyway you want and then when called out about it just tell people to put you on ignore.

The inmates dont run the asylum here. What is going to happen is this board is going to put you on ignore....permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back