PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Pre Game Thread #4 - Giants @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
who's going to return punts?

First, please know I think you are a great poster here.

Cyrus Jones is an elite athlete. Some guys need time to develop. Now is a time to think about a kid who blew out his knee and faces a very uncertain future. If anybody reading this is a true football fan, please understand and comment on how much it took for theses kids to get to the point where they could play in a 4th preseason game for the New England Patriots.

If any of us could get this far...

There is no time I hate more than cut downs. We all will move on, but the kids who got so close, and their families, will think about this week for the rest of their lives. Let's honor that.

I, for one, hope to see Cyrus Jones out there next August competing for a roster spot. Right along with Julian Edelman.

I loved the moment BB actually went to ask Cyrus how it looks. He put so much believe in him as #1 PR after disastrous rookie year. Amazing coach.

First, please know I think you are a great poster here.

Cyrus Jones is an elite athlete. Some guys need time to develop. Now is a time to think about a kid who blew out his knee and faces a very uncertain future. If anybody reading this is a true football fan, please understand and comment on how much it took for theses kids to get to the point where they could play in a 4th preseason game for the New England Patriots.

If any of us could get this far...

There is no time I hate more than cut downs. We all will move on, but the kids who got so close, and their families, will think about this week for the rest of their lives. Let's honor that.

I, for one, hope to see Cyrus Jones out there next August competing for a roster spot. Right along with Julian Edelman.

I 100% agree, and if it seemed that I was suggesting otherwise then that's my bad and I should've been clearer.

I like Jones. I think he's worked his ass off to get where he is, it seems like his problems are mostly that he's pretty far in his own head, and he seems to be working through those issues. Based on the comments he made this offseason it's clear that he's really hard on himself and feels like he has something to prove, and I don't see how anyone could hold that against a guy. Even if that ends up being the mental block that keeps him from ever really making it, it's not like he's lazy or unmotivated. It's... kinda the opposite. I hope he overcomes it and develops the selective amnesia that corners kinda need, but if he doesn't that's the closest you'll come to having a 'right' reason to fail.

What happened to him tonight sucks, and I'll be pulling for him to make it back 100%. What I was attempting to convey is that, however you feel about Jones' performance so far, even if you think he totally sucks, Jones is still probably better than whoever will end up taking his roster spot. I hope the replacement ends up being an upgrade because I'm a Pats fan and I'd rather see the team get better than worse, but I don't expect it'll shake out that way.

Here are the guys that played well imo: Travis, Grissom, Carr, Lucien, J. Hollister, O'Shaughnessy, Foster, and Brissett.

My thought is this might be blessing in disguise for Cy.

Almost certainly will be the nail in his NFL coffin. He loses a key year to prove he's worth a big contract and history has shown a lot of people can't return to top form until the second season they return from the injury and Cyrus had a ton of learning and growing to do.

This has to be heartbreaking for him, it is awful that he got a season ending injury on what looked like one of his best coverage plays we've seen.

Time to let go of that. In any team sport, it should never come down to that kind of play. If Brady doesn't throw 2 interceptions against Denver, Chris Harper doesn't matter. The bottom line in 2015 was injured players. Let it go.

It was 8 minutes left. The patriots were up 21-7....Denver punted. If Harper fields that cleanly, our offense would have ran down the clock most likely. That play had a HUGE impact on the game, and our season. No way around it. That fumble cost us the game

Almost certainly will be the nail in his NFL coffin. He loses a key year to prove he's worth a big contract and history has shown a lot of people can't return to top form until the second season they return from the injury and Cyrus had a ton of learning and growing to do.

This has to be heartbreaking for him, it is awful that he got a season ending injury on what looked like one of his best coverage plays we've seen.

id wait with the coffin thing.
he's young. 2nd round pick with elite return talent. BB showed lots of patience and trust in him.

while true about long way to return from ACL . rehab is a good chance to grow. he might lose some money but “almost certainly“ will get another chance.

Good fight by Hollister after the catch to get in the end zone. And as Chatham pointed out, good blitz pick up by Foster.

He's made a couple of those this pre-season. Good pass-pro overall.

It was 8 minutes left. The patriots were up 21-7....Denver punted. If Harper fields that cleanly, our offense would have ran down the clock most likely. That play had a HUGE impact on the game, and our season. No way around it. That fumble cost us the game

God, I remember making a thread about wishing Harper got cut and got a lot of hate. People actually thought that dude was gonna be something special one day. Where the **** is he now? On a garbage Jests team. He'll probably never see the field.

I 100% agree, and if it seemed that I was suggesting otherwise then that's my bad and I should've been clearer.

I like Jones. I think he's worked his ass off to get where he is, it seems like his problems are mostly that he's pretty far in his own head, and he seems to be working through those issues. Based on the comments he made this offseason it's clear that he's really hard on himself and feels like he has something to prove, and I don't see how anyone could hold that against a guy. Even if that ends up being the mental block that keeps him from ever really making it, it's not like he's lazy or unmotivated. It's... kinda the opposite. I hope he overcomes it and develops the selective amnesia that corners kinda need, but if he doesn't that's the closest you'll come to having a 'right' reason to fail.

What happened to him tonight sucks, and I'll be pulling for him to make it back 100%. What I was attempting to convey is that, however you feel about Jones' performance so far, even if you think he totally sucks, Jones is still probably better than whoever will end up taking his roster spot. I hope the replacement ends up being an upgrade because I'm a Pats fan and I'd rather see the team get better than worse, but I don't expect it'll shake out that way.

That's a quality post right there.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch the game last night. I've got the DVR set up to catch the NFLNetwork replay.

Beside C. Jones, I also heard that Woodrow Hamilton limped off last night and was unable to put pressure on one leg. Anyone hear a follow-up on what the nature was? "knee"? "leg"? Ankle?

Did Marquis Flowers play DE or OLB last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick