PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Preseason Game 2 Thread Pats @ Texans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacoby is gonna make this team but he's starting to veer towards Tebow levels of 'great guy, great heart, great teammate, mechanics are an issue.'

I hope we get to see some good progress from him, he looked in the regular season last year than he has this year in the preseason.

we need a "don't quite know how to respond to this post" icon. While I agree with the basic comparison up to a point, when I think about it...nah...Tebow level is at least one level down from Jackobee

Ok guys who had good game:

Cyrus Jones
Ghost
Foster

Bad:
Garappolo
Brissett
Offense line
Defensive line

Csn post game like a funeral... Someone tell these dipschitts THST they don't throw to 87 or 11 in preseason on purpose!

we need a "don't quite know how to respond to this post" icon. While I agree with the basic comparison up to a point, when I think about it...nah...Tebow level is at least one level down from Jackobee

You bring in Tebow thinking 'mechanics need work but there's so much good stuff there it's worth the risk.' I think you do it with a 2nd rounder, though, Josh was dumb to draft him in the 1st.

Tebow just couldn't do it, though. He's an extreme example but man did his passes ride high. Still there were those times where suddenly he'd put it together and it was fun to watch. The point is that Jacoby's edging towards the category of 'not going to fix his mechanics in time to keep a roster spot, if ever.'

I'll be shocked if he doesn't make the final 53 this year though. Hell, if Rohan, Mallett and Cassel can keep roster spots on this team, Jacoby can.

Could someone tell me what happened on the last couple of plays. I am in florida, couldn't watch. Just interested how Brissett blew it so close.

Bledsoe with the pass.:mad:

If Jimmy sticks around and turns out to be even half the player Bledsoe was the Pats will win several Super Bowls with him. Drew was a franchise QB for the first half of his career. It's crazy how little respect some people who claim to be Pats fans have for him.

Lots to be satisfied.

1. Burkhead is legit & dual & very solid in pass protection . as advertised.
2. Important rotational/situational players bounced back a bit: Ealy, Cy, Fleming, DJ Foster, (Bates) also Richards w some good tackles esp. close to LOS
3. Potential UDFA roster backups further improving: Langi, A.Butler (Carr confirming)
4. O'Shaughnessy up and down but solid base for building up after inj. setback
5. Croston mostly solid in a long look at LT
6. solid UDFA PS potential from Moore, Travis, D.Jones, Augusta

Nice plays by Lewis, Bolden, Foster, Coleman.
Solid by Rowe and JJ on limited snaps.
Chung in mid-season form.
____

No major inj. (hopefully Roberts ribs not too bad):
3 more banged up: Valentine (returned), Douglas, C. Hollister again (went out after out of bounds TD catch)

Last edited:
Could someone tell me what happened on the last couple of plays. I am in florida, couldn't watch. Just interested how Brissett blew it so close.

It was going well, actually, then he got the ball knocked out of his hand from behind just as he was pulling back to throw. Pocket awareness/ball security problems were rampant during this game.

That and it felt like a lot of penalties and some bad tackling.

Still it was heartwarming to see such great play from Cyrus, I'd love it if he had a Faulk-like turned it around story.

It was going well, actually, then he got the ball knocked out of his hand from behind just as he was pulling back to throw. Pocket awareness/ball security problems were rampant during this game.

That and it felt like a lot of penalties and some bad tackling.

Still it was heartwarming to see such great play from Cyrus, I'd love it if he had a Faulk-like turned it around story.

I was actually thinking we/he and we may benefit from just forgetting about last year and last game and just dwell on what he did tonight.

There was a lot to build on, and he doesn't need to be over-thinking about the bad stuff that happened, just let it all go.

Yeah, I wish we could be like the 2008 Detroit Lions with a 4-0 pre-season record. :(

Notice, I said good teams...not these guys:

yeah, well I could do without seeing friggin' Walt Anderson for a few seasons...in fact, RETIRE PAHDNUH...take a long ride off into the sunset until you hit the LaBrea tar pits you freakin' dumbasaurus...

Burkhead as a slot receiver is a super dangerous wrinkle to this offense, I love it.

I could be way off on this, but I'm looking at Burkhead as a guy who's going to be given a long look as a potential slot WR moving forward.

Patriots extend offer to Bills RFA RB Mike Gillislee

Patriots sign Rex Burkhead

0–2. I'm a fan of winning records for good teams in the preseason even.

The preseason is used to find the guys to fill a roster that will win in the regular season and to give guys some reps.

The starters performed well against what will be a topped rank defense in the league.

Not much game planning. Not going to open up the play book etc...

0-2 or 2-0 is literally meaningless unless you're the colts. Then it's a banner-able occasion.

Some thoughts and observations from tonight's game...or at least the part I watched closely. ;)

1. If you are worried about not seeing much from Brandin Cooks, don't be. It seems clear to me that the Pats are keeping him well under wraps this pre-season. In fact the entire offense has been pretty much under wraps so far.

2. The OL (including Flemming) kept Brady clean today and did well for JG as well. Tuney's whiff of JJ Watt killed the Pats first drive, but overall I thought the OL (first and 2nd editions) was better than I expected.

3. JG had an up and down game. His skills at running the team's offense is obvious. Still he made 2 big mental mistakes during his time that cost his team dearly. He didn't call the correct protection on his strip sack (pretty sure that was the case), and his pick was just DUMB.

4. Happy that Cyrus Jone did well on his punt returns, but I was more pleased at how he played so much better at CB.

5. Sad to see my 2 year binky, AJ Foster play so well. He deserves to be on an NFL roster, I just don't see how he can make THIS one.

6. Lewis flash more of his 2015 self in this game. Burkhead caught the ball really well and ran effectively as well. Can't hardly wait to see what we have in Gillislee, but we can win with what he have.

7. The media concern this week will be all about the DL. The most concerning thing for me was just how long guys like Branch, Brown, and Valentine played in this game. Ealy, I though was solid against the run, and he did HIS job on the Watson TD. Overall a positive, if not "dazzling" day for him.

8. Speaking of Watson, I thought he showed that he is no where near ready to be an NFL starter. He was inaccurate even on his short passes. For some reason the mediots had me believing that the kid was on the verge of grabbing the starting job. Not even close.

9. I'm begining to think that David Andrews is starting to remind me of Dan Koppen. Koppen was another over acheiver that you were constantly trying to upgrade, then the next thing you know its 8 years later he's still your starting C. ;)

10. I REALLY liked what I saw from Harvey Langi. He runs so well, and gets good pressure when he rushes. He also is a completely unfinished product who needs tons of work, but I'm pretty sure he's going to make this roster, and might even contribute some to the regular defense this season

11. Larry Guy is very quietly having a pretty good TC.

12. I would feel a lot better about this season if both Nate Solder and Danta Hightower started to practice this next week

13. Malcolm Butler didn't have a good game tonight. He was beaten badly on the first TD, and while he was in position to make a play on that long pass, I've seen him do a lot better than what we got on that play. It seemed like he lost the ball in flight or something.....but that being said, this is going to be a VERY good secondary.

Pats 0-2. On our way to 0-20 :p

On the whole a few encouraging things.

Flemming did well as the LT was huge.
Ealy having a good day was huge.

Roberts getting hurt was unfortunate. Hope he feels better soon. Good role LB.

The 2007 Patriots went 0-2 and then 2-0 in the preseason. They then won the next 18 games.

Just a couple of quick notes regarding the thread:

1. Cyrus Jones not wetting himself is not the same as Cyrus Jones having a good/great game.
  2. Brissett was no more clueless under center on the play he was hit from behind than was JAG on the play JAG got lit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes