PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Preseason Game 2 Thread Pats @ Texans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said to my buddy during the game... "remember a few years ago when Detroit blew them out in preseason...everyone panicked....pats still went 12-4

Some thoughts and observations from tonight's game...or at least the part I watched closely. ;)

1. If you are worried about not seeing much from Brandin Cooks, don't be. It seems clear to me that the Pats are keeping him well under wraps this pre-season. In fact the entire offense has been pretty much under wraps so far.

2. The OL (including Flemming) kept Brady clean today and did well for JG as well. Tuney's whiff of JJ Watt killed the Pats first drive, but overall I thought the OL (first and 2nd editions) was better than I expected.

3. JG had an up and down game. His skills at running the team's offense is obvious. Still he made 2 big mental mistakes during his time that cost his team dearly. He didn't call the correct protection on his strip sack (pretty sure that was the case), and his pick was just DUMB.

4. Happy that Cyrus Jone did well on his punt returns, but I was more pleased at how he played so much better at CB.

5. Sad to see my 2 year binky, AJ Foster play so well. He deserves to be on an NFL roster, I just don't see how he can make THIS one.

6. Lewis flash more of his 2015 self in this game. Burkhead caught the ball really well and ran effectively as well. Can't hardly wait to see what we have in Gillislee, but we can win with what he have.

7. The media concern this week will be all about the DL. The most concerning thing for me was just how long guys like Branch, Brown, and Valentine played in this game. Ealy, I though was solid against the run, and he did HIS job on the Watson TD. Overall a positive, if not "dazzling" day for him.

8. Speaking of Watson, I thought he showed that he is no where near ready to be an NFL starter. He was inaccurate even on his short passes. For some reason the mediots had me believing that the kid was on the verge of grabbing the starting job. Not even close.

9. I'm begining to think that David Andrews is starting to remind me of Dan Koppen. Koppen was another over acheiver that you were constantly trying to upgrade, then the next thing you know its 8 years later he's still your starting C. ;)

10. I REALLY liked what I saw from Harvey Langi. He runs so well, and gets good pressure when he rushes. He also is a completely unfinished product who needs tons of work, but I'm pretty sure he's going to make this roster, and might even contribute some to the regular defense this season

11. Larry Guy is very quietly having a pretty good TC.

12. I would feel a lot better about this season if both Nate Solder and Danta Hightower started to practice this next week

13. Malcolm Butler didn't have a good game tonight. He was beaten badly on the first TD, and while he was in position to make a play on that long pass, I've seen him do a lot better than what we got on that play. It seemed like he lost the ball in flight or something.....but that being said, this is going to be a VERY good secondary.

Anybody else find the Watson end zone celebration excessive and embarrassing (for him)? He completed 30% of his passes for 102 yards. Put in a performance like that, and the dignified response to a rushing touchdown is to toss the ball to the ref, slap your teammates' helmets, and trot off the field.

I couldn't believe that jerkoff display. Ealy(?) played that snap exactly as he should have done. There was supposed to be a LB filling that cutback but he got washed out on the initial play fake to his right. Any starting D in this league drops that little showoff punk for a loss. I'd be surprised if O'B doesn't run up and down this clown's back like a lawnmower during meetings this week.

NE D2 ended HOU QB “competition“ for the fans& media (with the exception of those further blinded by some lucky drive and TD).

Im sure BO'B never saw the “competition“.

Anybody else find the Watson end zone celebration excessive and embarrassing (for him)? He completed 30% of his passes for 102 yards. Put in a performance like that, and the dignified response to a rushing touchdown is to toss the ball to the ref, slap your teammates' helmets, and trot off the field.

Honestly.. who cares ? Let the rookie have his fun..

Malcolm Butler didn't have a good game tonight. He was beaten badly on the first TD, and while he was in position to make a play on that long pass, I've seen him do a lot better than what we got on that play. It seemed like he lost the ball in flight or something.....but that being said, this is going to be a VERY good secondary.

It looked like the receiver gave him a tug and made him mistime his jump.

0–2. I'm a fan of winning records for good teams in the preseason even.

The 07 Pats started 0-2 in preseason.

Every year there’s only one preseason game that is interesting to me and that’s the 3rd one. That’s the dress rehearsal for the season. The starters will play for maybe even 3/4 of the game against the other teams starters. The 4th game is mostly for fringe players trying to make the squad. So while preseason record is meaningless I think how they do next week in week 3 of preseason will be definitely worth paying attention to.

Thinking back to 2011 week 3 preseason where Stafford exposed and incinerated this defense and it was a sign of things to come once the games counted. Hopefully that won’t be the case next week.

bitter-sweet for those who believed in Cooper here . played at LG
(Kline played well for TEN as well)

No regrets for giving the job to Thuney . just goes to show that “trash to gold“ (don't care for this terminology) works the other way too.

Somewhat ironically Cooper who was waived by the Pats w what seemed like uncertain position at IOL at the beginning of last season leaving them w loads of dead money (and later waived by CLE as well) is now on verge of taking starting LG job w arguably the best OL unit of last year.

Was at game last night. Club level, Patriots side. Surprised Malcom Butler sat by himself on bench for parts of second half. Not good look.
On the other hand, Brady remained engaged throughout second half, chatting it up with offense and defense, including extended conversations with Van Noy (#53). Thought that was interesting.

I'll never get people putting anything in preseason record especially now and with how the Patriots in games 1, 2 and 4 don't scheme and game 3 there isn't as much scheming as you'd see in a regular season game.

1st game none of the starters play
2nd game they play a couple of series
3rd game they play a half
4th game is much like the 1st game and starting this year it will be probably exactly like the 1st game given that teams will have 90 guys because cut down to 53 isn't until 2 days after the last preseason game.

bitter-sweet for those who believed in Cooper here . played at LG
(Kline played well for TEN as well)

No regrets for giving the job to Thuney . just goes to show that “trash to gold“ (don't care for this terminology) works the other way too.

Somewhat ironically Cooper who was waived by the Pats w what seemed like uncertain position at IOL at the beginning of last season leaving them w loads of dead money (and later waived by CLE as well) is now on verge of taking starting LG job w arguably the best OL unit of last year.

That is actually very interesting. Perhaps Cooper just wasn't a fit here or under Scar, but fits well with what they do in Dallas. Sure, Dallas has an abundance of talent on their offensive line, but I'm sure they've gotta be doing some great coaching, too.

That is actually very interesting. Perhaps Cooper just wasn't a fit here or under Scar, but fits well with what they do in Dallas. Sure, Dallas has an abundance of talent on their offensive line, but I'm sure they've gotta be doing some great coaching, too.

After he started the game at guard, they moved him over to center for a series. Its rare that the Patriots do not find a players "best"

Yeah it looks like he pushed down or off on Butler. Nice catch though.

upload_2017-8-20_10-7-49.png

NFLN rebroadcasting Pats-Texans at 1PM-3:30PM today (Sunday)

I thought gilmore played great and is arguably our number 1 corner now, if there was any doubt before, and malcolm at number 2.

So what's the plan for 2018-19 season?

I thought gilmore played great and is arguably our number 1 corner now, if there was any doubt before, and malcolm at number 2.

I think that depends on the matchup. But yes Gilmore looked good last night.

more likely cooper took advantage of a JV colts

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore