PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread - Pats @ Raiders

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a Toofy?
Well just a random non conspicuous gibberish name that I wanted to give in an internet forum so that I can be that arbitrary anonymous dude whose name doesn't ring a bell anywhere.

Your question is a good one. If we base it on what we've seen so far, this team's porked. But I think it's almost 100% certain that BB knows that too, and will make changes and adjustments accordingly.
About BB's "changes and adjustments"....

Final 4 regular season games of '21.............1W...3L
Final 4 regular season games of '20..............1W...3L.....and.....1Playoff decapitation

Note:
0-5 vs division rivals Buffalo & Miami during these 2 late season swoons despite BB's "changes and adjustments"

Correct me if I'm wrong....
Last season, BB's late season "change and adjustment" was to hand back the reigns of the defense to his son & Mayo after BB had taken charge midseason

You actually think the offense is going to improve from last season based on everything we’ve heard and thus far seen? Some serious wishful thinking there.
Why wouldn’t it?
Preseason games are meaningless and the entire unit has barely played any snaps together.
The offense will be fine. It will be better than last year because Jones has a year experience, has more weapons, and the team has been working on expanding some things they do infrequently to possibly be a bigger part of the offense, which will make it more varied.

About BB's "changes and adjustments"....

Final 4 regular season games of '21.............1W...3L
Final 4 regular season games of '20..............1W...3L.....and.....1Playoff decapitation

Note:
0-5 vs division rivals Buffalo & Miami during these 2 late season swoons despite BB's "changes and adjustments"

Correct me if I'm wrong....
Last season, BB's late season "change and adjustment" was to hand back the reigns of the defense to his son & Mayo after BB had taken charge midseason
Correcting you, you are wrong.

Why wouldn’t it?
Preseason games are meaningless and the entire unit has barely played any snaps together.
The offense will be fine. It will be better than last year because Jones has a year experience, has more weapons, and the team has been working on expanding some things they do infrequently to possibly be a bigger part of the offense, which will make it more varied.
You're not concerned whatsoever? 1st team starters struggled vs 2nd string defenses. Mac will be fine, the Oline is the big issue for me.

You're not concerned whatsoever? 1st team starters struggled vs 2nd string defenses. Mac will be fine, the Oline is the big issue for me.
No. It’s a preseason game. It’s meaningless. We have a talented OL, it will be fine.

Why wouldn’t it?
So losing what many consider to be one of the best offensive minds in the NFL and replacing him with a couple of guys with barely any experience coaching offence is a wash to you?

Well just a random non conspicuous gibberish name that I wanted to give in an internet forum so that I can be that arbitrary anonymous dude whose name doesn't ring a bell anywhere.

I thought you might be a dentist.

Some positive notes on Jack Jones: Think he has a bright future:

He looks like one of those elite man coverage CBs the Ravens would always find during the 2000s and early 2010s. Not the tallest guy, but has unusually long arms, wingspan, and length. Effortless fluidity and transitions with his feet and hips, crazy good instincts and ball-skills, freakishly quick/explosive in small spaces ("pop" is the word that viscerally captures what I'm describing). All of that paired with off-the-charts confidence and swagger. I know we don't like Baltimore here, but Jack Jones really reminds me of a Ravens'-type CB from 10-15 years ago.

He needs a lot of polish and refinement. Needs to watch a lot of film, work on his body, and know when it's not worth the risk of peeking while in zone, but he has all the tools to be a high caliber CB in the NFL for a very long time.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, things started going downhill [for the offensive line] after Cole Popovich left the staff for refusing a COVID vaccination during the 2020 season. They opened the beginning of 2020 very strong at OL but following Popovich's departure began declining and haven't recovered since.
You remember correctly. Cole Popovich was doing a great job. His side kick left with McDaniels.

Billy Yates and Matt Patricia are NOT getting it done.

I can imagine at some point this season the team’s owner asking the head coach in frustration, “What the heck is going on?”

That’s a sign that the end is beginning.

You remember correctly. Cole Popovich was doing a great job. His side kick left with McDaniels.

Billy Yates and Matt Patricia are NOT getting it done.

I can imagine the team’s owner asking the head coach in frustration, “What the heck is going on?”

That’s a sign that the end is beginning.

Popovich's departure correlated with a drop-off in OL performance, but I struggle to see how you can definitively state he was doing a "great job", short of working internally with him and others. It could've been dumb luck. Hard to know. Regardless of whether Popovich is a quality coach or not, the OL appears to need better coaching at this point in time.

As for his side-kick, Bricillo, the OL didn't fare very well under him last season, either, so I'm not sure he was anything special ... nor am I sure that he was Popovich's side-kick (again something I don't think any of us can really know, without personally knowing the people involved; there isn't exactly comprehensive reporting on the matter).

I can hear Kraft asking Belichick what is going on at OL. I don't see how bringing up the matter is a sign that this is the beginning of the end. Can't fix the problem without first addressing it.

Im not saying Stidham would beat out Jones today, my point is I would take Stidham over Hoyer and Zappe.
I didn’t understand using the draft capital to take Zappe when we had Stidham sitting there.
Honestly we could of taken another wife out or o line over Zappe which is what I preferred.
What has been surprising is the lack of anything I’ve seen from Pierre Strong I thought it was a great pick but based on the sample size looks closer to a easy cut.

Stidham’s contract would be coming due soon, so replacing the back up with a rookie back up is a common practice. Hoyer is almost as good as having MacDaniels on the bench with him during games. I won’t be surprised if Hoyer becomes an offensive coach for the Patriots one he is released.That may be next year as Zappe can’t be close to ready, I like the Zappe pick, I’m glad they made it. And a couple of pre season games is way to early to be judging guys like Strong. Many here were screaming about what a wasted pick James white was for his first couple of seasons here, it was only once he got the job full time that people realized just how good he was.

Agree 1000%. Zappe looks horrendous and never understood why BB gift wrapped Stidham to Mcdaniels as a parting gift. Would have been good to have sone competition for Jones at QB.

Stidham isn’t anywhere near as good a QB as Jones. Your hatred of Jones is really going way overboard. And don’t try to say you are rooting for him to succeed, because takes like this make it clear that is total ********. Jones had one f the best rookie seasons any QB has ever had, and Stidham flat out sucked and wasn’t even to beat out a truly sh.tty Cam Newton over a full season, whereas Jones did so in a matter if weeks.

Your Jones hate is truly insane.

Popovich's departure correlated with a drop-off in OL performance, but I struggle to see how you can definitively state he was doing a "great job", short of working internally with him and others. It could've been dumb luck. Hard to know. Regardless of whether Popovich is a quality coach or not, the OL appears to need better coaching at this point in time.

As for his side-kick, Bricillo, the OL didn't fare very well under him last season, either, so I'm not sure he was anything special ... nor am I sure that he was Popovich's side-kick (again something I don't think any of us can really know, without personally knowing the people involved; there isn't exactly comprehensive reporting on the matter).

I can hear Kraft asking Belichick what is going on at OL. I don't see how bringing up the matter is a sign that this is the beginning of the end. Can't fix the problem without first addressing it.

Following Scar is like following Brady or Jordan, he was the GOAT, and irreplaceable. Belichick better find a fix for this or it could be a tough season. Scrap the zone blocking for now and go with the schemes they traditionally run.

Agree 1000%. Zappe looks horrendous and never understood why BB gift wrapped Stidham to Mcdaniels as a parting gift. Would have been good to have sone competition for Jones at QB.

And FTR Sam, it’s nothing personal. I have the exact same argument with friends who are diehard Patriot fans but hated the Jones pick, and when I tell them they don’t want Jones to succeed they try to protest, but ultimately recognize that I’m right, they don’t want Jones to succeed because they want the Patriots to draft a QB they think is better. They don’t believe Jones can be a championship QB whereas I and the other Jones supporters believe he can be.And there’s no such thing as a sure thing, as the Colts proved with Andrew Luck.

Let's hope so.
Why would you think it was meaningful?
How many snaps did they play? How many with the actual 11 guys who will be out there? Any?
There was no game planning. There was no scouting of the opponent, film study, prep, etc.
If they did great that would be meaningless too.
So losing what many consider to be one of the best offensive minds in the NFL and replacing him with a couple of guys with barely any experience coaching offence is a wash to you?
It’s funny how you guys used to trash McDaniels them he leaves and he is a genius.
I am fine with the coaching staff. It’s still the best in the NFL.
McDaniels took over play calling after 1 season with Belichick. Patricia has been with him for a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes