PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread - Pats destroy Raiders!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
12 and 21 personnel is shorthand for 2 backs, 1 TE and 1 TE, 2 backs. It’s just terminology and many football teams at various levels don’t use it. You can know a lot about football and not know this.

Didn't notice with D. Allen, but it looked like both Gronk and Bennett were sucking air today and struggling after a while. I think the elevation was affecting the bigger guys on their route running.

Speaking of Allen, he hasn't been a factor and hardly used but he came up HUGE recovering Burkhead's fumble and to have presence of mind to stick with it. Looks like he's getting on board and getting his confidence back.

obviously I missed the 'Knower of Things" master class. So, 2 backs and 1 TE differs from 1 TE and 2 backs, eh? Am I going to have to go to Pro Football Statistics and History | Pro-Football-Reference.com to find out exactly how many times the Pats used this formation today? I mean, yeah I understand the Pats used a lot of 2RB 1 TE smash routes when Gronk was out last season at the end but that's not what I think I saw out there much today or really any game during this recent 5 game run.

I try to stay away from agitating you but sometimes you're just so goddyamed condescending it's impossible to lay off.

I apologize for being condescending in this or previous posts. It is not intentional. Perhaps I was frustrated by the perceived condescending nature of Deus' posts I was responding to.

I do think it is funny that you are accusing me of being condensing, considering the tone you generally take with me. Perhaps you react to something going over your head as if the author is being pretentious. Just because I use the term "21 personnel" to make a football point does not mean I consider myself some football Einstein. Recall that when you made a joke I failed to understand I simply asked you about it. I did not view your attempts at humor to be filled with pretension. I don't respond to your posts with things like I missed the "George Carlin" master class.

Joker, will you make an effort to be less rude next time you have a question about something? I have in interest in football strategy and schemes, and I learn what I can and give my input just as anyone else does.

Going 5 wide out of 21 and 12 personnel is a reoccurring method we use to exploit defensive match-ups.
Been watching the NFL for over 60 years, played ball up to college. I have no idea what the eff "21 and 12 personnel" means. This is the first time I've ever heard it used ANYWHERE by anybody related to the NFL, sports stations, blogs, former coaches etc. You say "we" as if YOU are part of the Pats coaching staff. Are you?

personnel 12 21.jpg

Understanding Football Offensive Personnel Packages - Inside The Pylon

Talking about personnel packages in this way is common on this board. I first heard Jon Gruden discuss personnel packages in this way in a Saints MNF game around 5 years ago. I use it for brevity, not to obscure the point. Others do the same.

Are you complaining that I refer to the Patriots as "our" team? I refuse to be sorry for this. If it offends you, substitute "the Patriots" for "we". I feel "we scored 37 and they scored 8" is a perfectly fine statement.

IMO, Dion Lewis has not shown the slot-receiver route running capacity of Burkhead or White.

I attend games as well as watch them every Sunday. I've seen Lewis out of the slot two years ago,even with Edelman being the primary slot.Just because he hasn't shown it to you THIS season doesn't mean he cannot perform that function.It means the Pats have two other players that can, giving Lewis more chances at his optimum position...but yeah, just IMO your way out of a pure BS take.

My entire point is contingent on the idea that Lewis is relatively worse in the slot. I attempted to make it clear that this was my impression by saying "IMO", and Dues also thought it was "probably" the case in the post I quoted. I agree that Lewis might be just as good and this skill is simply under-utilized, but the point I was making presupposes he is not. I was making a point about the importance of WR route running for all of our skill position players.

Let me know if you can think of some particular games from a couple years ago where Dion played in the slot. I am open to that presupposition being wrong. I am quite confident in the point that follows from it however:

You don't call Gronk a WR when he is lined up wide. A player's position is a function of their overall skill-set, not where they are lined up on a given play.
well, this a dyamned if you do/don't proposition on your part. If Gronk is lined up at WR in a five wide set guess what? He IS a WR. So are White and Burkhead NOT RB's but slot receivers instead? Really? You actually believe THIS?

Gronk is a TE because of dual threat skill set. The defense has to respect his run blocking skills. Say we have Burkhead, Develin, Gronk, Cooks, and Dorsett (RB, FB, TE, WR, WR) on the field. All of these players have shown the ability to line up 5 wide formations. The defense might be tempted to bring in extra defensive backs to help defend the pass. Yet their ability to do this is limited by Gronk and Develin's blocking ability. If the defense takes out too many linebackers or linemen for pass defenders, we can punish them in the running game. The defense has to treat him as a TE, not as a WR. Same goes for Devlin as a FB. The offensive personnel grouping limits the possible response of the defense.

Now of course, WRs are still asked to block DBs in the run game. But WRs are not asked to block LBs and DEs consistently like a TE or FB is. I assume you know this, since you also played football.

Finally, referring to players by their traditional position when they are split out wide is quite common. IRRC, Romo commented on how Manti Te'o was playing too soft on Develin, since Develin was a full back. The distinction between personnel and formation is not new.

White and Burkhead's ability to run slot routes makes them better overall playmakers in a very important sense.

They are very important cogs in the Pats offense, but to denigrate Dion Lewis like you have just done, based on practically nothing is just plain ridiculous. I witnessed the dynamism Dion Lewis brought to this offense 2 years ago. He is back from that horrendous knee injury at last and is BACK to his play making ability.

When I see Lewis making plays in the gyfs below, I will agree with the statement "Burkhead is not a better overall playmaker, on any basis". Until then there is a basis that Burkhead is better than Lewis. This does not take anything away from Lewis' strengths in other areas.

(This last one is White)

This post of mine gives additional info on why I believe RB's that can go wide is important to our offense.

Last edited:
I try to stay away from agitating you but sometimes you're just so goddyamed condescending it's impossible to lay off.

Going 5 wide out of 21 and 12 personnel is a reoccurring method we use to exploit defensive match-ups.
Been watching the NFL for over 60 years, played ball up to college. I have no idea what the eff "21 and 12 personnel" means. This is the first time I've ever heard it used ANYWHERE by anybody related to the NFL, sports stations, blogs, former coaches etc. You say "we" as if YOU are part of the Pats coaching staff. Are you?

IMO, Dion Lewis has not shown the slot-receiver route running capacity of Burkhead or White.
I attend games as well as watch them every Sunday. I've seen Lewis out of the slot two years ago,even with Edelman being the primary slot.Just because he hasn't shown it to you THIS season doesn't mean he cannot perform that function.It means the Pats have two other players that can, giving Lewis more chances at his optimum position...but yeah, just IMO your way out of a pure BS take.

You don't call Gronk a WR when he is lined up wide. A player's position is a function of their overall skill-set, not where they are lined up on a given play.
well, this a dyamned if you do/don't proposition on your part. If Gronk is lined up at WR in a five wide set guess what? He IS a WR. So are White and Burkhead NOT RB's but slot receivers instead? Really? You actually believe THIS?

White and Burkhead's ability to run slot routes makes them better overall playmakers in a very important sense.

well, elaborate then. What very important sense? Name it with examples. I see Lewis 4/28 yards and a TD as a receiver. I see Burkhead with 4/21 and White with 0/0. Look ,I'm not going to sit here and tear away at James White OR Burkhead. They are very important cogs in the Pats offense, but to denigrate Dion Lewis like you have just done, based on practically nothing is just plain ridiculous. I witnessed the dynamism Dion Lewis brought to this offense 2 years ago. He is back from that horrendous knee injury at last and is BACK to his play making ability.

""You say "we" as if YOU are part of the Pats coaching staff.""

Come on Joe, saying "we" had a good night or we played good on D is not ok?

For the amount of years you sat on aluminum benches at Sullivan, you of all people should be able to "we" for anything Pats related

well, nice War & Peace response to defend what is essentially your OPINION that Dion Lewis is drastically inferior to Burkhead and White insofar as playmaking is concerned. I'll be blunt. YOU are full of it. Your opinion is just that. I think it sucks. One more passive /aggressive snark directed at me and it's off to Ignoroid Land.

He had only 3 total targets today and none in the red zone.

Without quick strike Edelman he's been double and even triple teamed by opposing teams. It's why Allen was so wide open twice last week. This team doesn't force, it exposes.

I think it was John Wooden who said "Take what the defense gives you." Too many teams think that the superiority of the individual player creates the advantage. On its own it can, but combine it with the scheme of examining and attacking the other teams' weak points and the other players doing their job and if Allen, Lewis, and Dole get more TDs over the next few games the defenses will start scheming the other way toward them and Gronk will "get his" as well.

well, nice War & Peace response to defend what is essentially your OPINION that Dion Lewis is drastically inferior to Burkhead and White insofar as playmaking is concerned. I'll be blunt. YOU are full of it. Your opinion is just that. I think it sucks. One more passive /aggressive snark directed at me and it's off to Ignoroid Land.

Please add me to the list.

""You say "we" as if YOU are part of the Pats coaching staff.""

Come on Joe, saying "we" had a good night or we played good on D is not ok?

For the amount of years you sat on aluminum benches at Sullivan, you of all people should be able to "we" for anything Pats related

Look, I can pull up Patriots 1TE 2 back sets all day. He's speaking as if this is some chiseled in granite Erhardt/Perkins axiom. He slammed Lewis using faulty information to start with. That's all I'm reacting to...that and his back stab at Deus. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, ok?

Look, I can pull up Patriots 1TE 2 back sets all day. He's speaking as if this is some chiseled in granite Erhardt/Perkins axiom. He slammed Lewis using faulty information to start with. That's all I'm reacting to...that and his back stab at Deus. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, ok?

Easy goes it brother Joe, my post wasn't about anything to do with any of that (I didn't read anywhere near all posts).
I'm a user of "we" in some references to Patriots things even though Techmo Bowl is the closest I've been to being a player or coach on the Patriots.
I use it based upon sometimes "They" or "Them" just doesn't sound right.
No worries...:)

People get so angry when their ignorance shows. Suck it up.

I am a little late to the party but that was the Pats I know and love to watch yesterday. Everyone did their job and as a result we ( not me) blew out the Raiders. Cooks IMO finally arrived it was beautiful. Outstanding game.

Go Pats

Off to Miami at home.

It's why Allen was so wide open twice last week.

Allen wasn't wide open on either play. The first was pretty standard for play action, probably even tighter than usual for a target, and the second was impressive specifically because he had a defender draped allover him.

He does a lot of film break down. Does a pretty good job imo.

The problem with Lazar are not the film breakdowns but when he tries to sprinkle in some meaningless, cherry-picked cumulative stat to make a point.

Are you actually serious about that Joker ?

I saw that too. He was in distress.

I think Bennett and Gronk experienced similar situations to differing degrees. It was notable on the telecast.

Just spitballing here...what if the Pats started practicing in an indoor facility where they lowered the oxygen...making the normal gameday air extra full of oxygen-y goodness.

I'm sure the idea is nonsense on stilts for a hundred reasons but it was in my head.

If we can put this kind of performance in Pittsburgh, and smoke the **** out of them, at their own ketchup house, I'll be one happy camper.

Just spitballing here...what if the Pats started practicing in an indoor facility where they lowered the oxygen...making the normal gameday air extra full of oxygen-y goodness.

I'm sure the idea is nonsense on stilts for a hundred reasons but it was in my head.

I like your creativity. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back