PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread -Pats @ Dolphins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think teams are keying on him more. Hes not getting those break away runs like he used to.

Could be, to some extent ...

2016 (16 games): 166 total rushing yds, 551 total receiving yds

runs of 10+ yds = 2
... one of 14 & one of 16
catches of 15+ yds = 9
catches of 24+ yds = 4
... including one of 36 & one of 61

2017 (13 games): 171 total rushing yds (210-yd pace), 421 total receiving yds (518-yd pace)
runs of 10+ yds = 1
catches of 15+ yds = 6
catches of 24+ yds = 4
... longest this season = 27 yds

Because they were thin at LB and had an open spot for this week only anyway ?

You're probably right. But then why didn't Hollister play? It's not like Allen (or anyone else for that matter) was creating much separation.

You're probably right. But then why didn't Hollister play? It's not like Allen (or anyone else for that matter) was creating much separation.

Hollister and Allen have nothing to do with each other.

Allen is a blocking tight-end and Hollister -- for now -- an oversized WR with limited route running skills. Allen is one of the reasons why you havent heard a lot about Waddle or Fleming killing Brady in the past few weeks as well as assisted many big run gains (and TDs) with key blocks to the point where BB even highlighted one of them.

The Pats obviously like Hollisters upside but he really needs to get through a full offseason of a NFL level strength and conditioning program to become at least competitive in blocking.

Allen is a blocking tight-end and Hollister -- for now -- an oversized WR with limited route running skills. Allen is one of the reasons why you havent heard a lot about Waddle or Fleming killing Brady in the past few weeks as well as assisted many big run gains (and TDs) with key blocks to the point where BB even highlighted one of them.

The Pats obviously like Hollisters upside but he really needs to get through a full offseason of a NFL level strength and conditioning program to become at least competitive in blocking.

I think the Pats also needed extra bodies on defense given all of the injuries.

Hollister plays the move. Yeah, he’s not a blocking TE. They needed someone, anyone, to create separation. Hollister and Allen can play at the same time.

I dont think he is the worst catcher in the Brady era. There are a couple of players with considerably worse hands.

I also dont see an issue with McD trying to create mismatches or finding something that might work. It is not like Allen was spread out on the majority of snaps. It just goes to show that the entire gameplan of the offense was ill conceived and garbage to the point where they scrambled to find anything that might work.

There is also the fact that moving guys out wide is one of the primary methods that NE uses to garner insight into what the defense is. It's the same reason why Devlin splits out regularly as well.

A weirdo out wide should not be confused for a lack of options.

Why we completely stopped using Burkhead in the second half is beyond me. We didn't even use him to score from the half yard line.

Not to go all conspiracy theory on everyone, but each year there are a few games where I get the sense Bill is more interested in trying **** out than maximizing the chance of victory, and this game definitely fell into that bucket. I find it hard to believe that the coaches would have used the exact same approach if this had been a playoff game.

Not to go all conspiracy theory on everyone, but each year there are a few games where I get the sense Bill is more interested in trying **** out than maximizing the chance of victory, and this game definitely fell into that bucket. I find it hard to believe that the coaches would have used the exact same approach if this had been a playoff game.
Interesting observation. No question they/BB have the cache to experiment during the regular season.

I do think they do things to add variables so opposing coaches have more to think about.

With that said I dont think he would do anything that fractionally reduces chances of winning

I just do see sacrificing the chances of winning so BB can play mad scientist.

Hey Supafly,
Since you live there, I was thinking...
When the Patsies arrive in ****sdirt, could you please kidnap Jordan Richards and hold him hostage until the game is over?
That choice to try and bring Cutler down high was terrible technique, but I’m much more interested in pulling the fire ala...nevermind. What I meant to say is that I’m looking forward to camping out at the Steeler hotel to get an autograph from Big Ben.

This fact will take a handful of days to fully sink in, as we went from potentially wrapping up the #1 seed with a victory on Sunday to potentially having the #3 seed with a loss on Sunday, all within 24 hours.

JAX opened as -11 point favorites for their upcoming game, so I’m thinking we’d be down to two games as a possibility. When you factor in the week 17 game vs TEN (who I don’t take seriously and are barely favored over the 3-10 Niners), we’re down to one game. When you factor in the week 16 game vs SF, things start getting dicey real quickly.

Edit: and I do think that having to potentially go to Pittsburgh for the AFCCG could be problematic, even as a #2 seed with a bye. Here is an article stating just how dominant the Steelers have been when having back to back home games. Roethlisberger pretty much becomes a totally different QB.

Numbers don't lie: Ben Roethlisberger tough to beat at home - USA TODAY Numbers don't lie: Ben Roethlisberger tough to beat at home — Steelers Wire

Don't get me wrong Sup, there's a notable odds hit to being the #2 seed and if the AFCCG ends up being an away game (being the #2 seed doesn't mean for sure the AFCCG will be an away game). However, it's the difference between a hill and a mountain between the #2 seed ve not getting a bye at all. Hypotheticals based on current seeding(and my best current guess):
Bye (#1 Seed): KC/Ravens/Titans in Foxboro(my guess is Ravens), Pitt in Foxboro, SB
Bye (#2 seed): Jags in Foxboro, Pitt in Pitt, SB
No Bye (#3 seed): Buff/Ravens/Titans in Foxboro, Jags in Jax, Pitt in Pitt, SB

That's a definite difference between #1 and #2 but a huge difference between #2 and #3. I believe in the BB era (again is memory serves me correctly): get #2 and SB entry is near 50%, #1 and it is near 66%, #3 or worse 0%).

I think me and you are close to on the same page, however, I still like our odds, slightly, in Pitt IF we bring our A game.
IMHO what was exposed in this game [1]dared us to throw long but the Patriots couldn't make them pay for it at least a couple of times(a few long completions can force a D to step back), [2] receivers couldn't win enough one on on battles (man to man coverage can't be that easy), [3] Brady was forced outside his comfort zone/targets and he wasn't able to connect to non comfort targets (this exacerbated the O's struggle quite a bit).
One game is one game -- it's never as bad as it seems after one game (just as it's never this "unbeatable" before a winning streak ends). But the pass game has GOT to have some better adjustments to what the Phins were doing on D or the odds are considerably more unfavorable for each seed scenario.

However, it's the difference between a hill and a mountain between the #2 seed ve not getting a bye at all.
I understand that this was your main point, and I fully agree. As long as we don’t lose the bye entirely, the odds are significantly improved. I suppose I was already a bit leery of Sunday’s game, and now the MNF clunker has me more concerned than usual.

I understand that this was your main point, and I fully agree. As long as we don’t lose the bye entirely, the odds are significantly improved. I suppose I was already a bit leery of Sunday’s game, and now the MNF clunker has me more concerned than usual.

Agreed. I hate overreaction to one game as it is never a good thought process, however, what happened pointed to a not often mentioned but existing underlying concern(and adds to the concern for Pitt): WR's for a string of games have consisted of DA, Cooks, Dorsett (with Dorsett getting almost no targets over that span). That is an insufficient potential production group especially with only 1 potent TE target. So with Gronk out in Miami (and I think Dorsett didn't play a snap) they forced Brady to win by throwing to Cooks and Hogan(a guy who hasn't played a meaningful snap in over a month). Ouch! Patriots have to have another receiver who can beat his coverage and beat it in shorter order (and in a way that jives with Brady's vision of the field). Without it and without Gronk, the pass game is relegated to needing Brady to hold onto the ball for something to develop. That's ok for a time to time part of the game but to rely on it nearly the whole game? Another ouch...and makes the Pitt game seem a bit more unsettling.

Jordan Richards whiffing the sack was the play of the game.

That was embarrassing....

Any news on Chung? The thought of Richards having to play a more prominent role in this defense is terrifying

That was the most awful way to end a game, get your teeth kicked in for 60 minutes and with 1 minute left in the game one of your key defensive players goes out with a leg injury

You can’t take away everything consistently. He was simply not finding what they were giving. Miami did play well on defense - Brady looked confused and rushed.

Yea the rush was definitely getting to Brady a lot and causing problems, but other times he got the ball out and just flat out missed the wide receivers with some very poor throws

They were in his head, the first time I've seen a team do that in awhile... And it's because Brady had no confidence in the oline, nor should he have because they all played like hot garbage

Hard to recall a game where Brady missed so many passes...it was really bad

The silver lining is that they got their butts handed to them and still only lost by 7 points

@yukon cornelius "
did you see the front 7 they trotted out? "

I saw Gilmore getting shredded on crossing routes and Butler getting beat by a guy who I can use as a barstool idk what that has to do with the front 7

give cutler time, they have decent receivers....gonna get open.....no one played well, but the front 7 wasn't helping much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back