PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Steelers

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Crap Lil Hump would have been gone wow Mac locking on to Meyers on the shallow cross.

I am not sure Mac locked onto Myers. That is the obvious take, but if you watch the film, the OLine was pushed back into Mac's face. Mac is 6'2"+ so if the linemen are pushed back in his face, he will not see over them. LJ Humphrey may not have been Mac's first read and by the time Mac tried to find his 2nd or 3rd read, he could not see anything (and then scrambled and dumped off the ball). Look at the film again slowly.

But he didn’t

No kidding. But there’s only one ball to go around. Even if Mac throws for 4500 yards the distribution will be such that we can call whoever gets the smaller share a “bust”. Or at least “disappointing”.

If you don’t believe me, go ahead and distribute 4500 passing yards reasonably and see if you can get it to come out such that there are no “disappointing/bust” receivers.

I’ll happily wait to see your work.

No kidding. But there’s only one ball to go around. Even if Mac throws for 4500 yards the distribution will be such that we can call whoever gets the smaller share a “bust”. Or at least “disappointing”.

If you don’t believe me, go ahead and distribute 4500 passing yards reasonably and see if you can get it to come out such that there are no “disappointing/bust” receivers.

I’ll happily wait to see your work.
Mac is just going to have to throw for more than 4500 lol

Used to work in Hanover Pa. Everyone was a Steelers or ravens fan. Today would have been fun with both losing.

Yeah I guess I should've gone to the bar here in Hershey to watch the games and DVRed the Pats at home... But there was no dam way I thought that both Squealers & Ratbirds would lose...

You do? Really?

Yes. Mac moved up and around the pocket much better. Looked more relaxed. More nice throws than Week 1. The great QBs get better game by game.

Mechanics still stink on half the throws, and he looks like he is over thinking, but he is improving. Mac is processing a lot more this year, so it will take awhile to sink in. Mac can identify the D and go thru his reads. Doesn't look like the game has slowed down enough for him but I think he will get there. He earned his spot at Alabama, he will do the same here.

I work with a Pitt fan. Very smart, even keel. Acknowledges 20 years of domination and accepted the pats won yesterday in a close, competitive game.
Most are dumbasses
Yeah, but there are lots of really nice people there.

Fred Rogers was one.

I don't think we should limit our expectations.

Bengals came within a field goal of winning the Super Bowl.

And I see enough potential in our running game, defense and second year quarterback to be encouraged.
Bengals have better talent then us all over the field (prob not off and def line) and most importantly at the qb. There coach is an absolute joke however but there playoff run was similar to that of the 85 patriots a lot of lucky bounces.

I dropped 'fellas' from the bill parcells quote about curtis martens first game. thats probably why you didn't recognize it

Oh, sorry. I got the reference. Just thought you were using it to say that I was jumping too fast to praise the guy.

I'm a big Mac Jones fan going back to his Alabama back-up days, but I am a little bit worried about some of his play. Feels like too many high balls and today we also had a couple of really inaccurate throws i.e. the one to Henry on the side-line + the stone cold int that was dropped. Still think he can be the guy, but definitely work to be done - both by him and the whole offence.
I agree that Mac has had a rough start to the season. BUT... he's still 2nd year. Most good QBs in this league don't put it all together until the 3rd year. Again my concern is his mechanics. I don't know why they are so bad.
I mentioned this in my thread but he's opening up his hips too early, too wide at times. Obviously doesn't help his footwork or base to throw off of. I don't think it has anything to do with the offense or a "new offense" just him working some stuff out.

Was listening to Tom Curran and Phil Perry talk a bit earlier. Curran made an interesting point:

- Last week, the Steelers defense blew up Joe Burrow and the Bengals: 7 sacks, 4 INTs, 1 fumble
- Comparatively, the Patriots had no sacks and only 1 INT against those same Steelers this week
- Last week, the Patriots defense allowed only 13 points to the Miami Dolphins offense
- Comparatively, the Baltimore Ravens allowed 42 points to those same Dolphins this week

Obviously, any-given-Sunday and all that, but perhaps the Patriots OL is better than we give them credit for, and the Patriots defense is better than we give them credit for.
I thought that most fans here felt like they had a good defense and an offense in the making. That seems to be where they are right now.

I was looking at the early standings and the AFCE and NFCE are both dominating with two 2-0 and two 1-1 teams each. Maybe the AFCN was over-rated. The AFCS looks pathetic.

It's still very early but there are signs that the Pats may be heading in the right direction.

Yes. Mac moved up and around the pocket much better. Looked more relaxed. More nice throws than Week 1. The great QBs get better game by game.

Mechanics still stink on half the throws, and he looks like he is over thinking, but he is improving. Mac is processing a lot more this year, so it will take awhile to sink in. Mac can identify the D and go thru his reads. Doesn't look like the game has slowed down enough for him but I think he will get there. He earned his spot at Alabama, he will do the same here.
We need to give the kid time.

Bengals have better talent then us all over the field (prob not off and def line) and most importantly at the qb. There coach is an absolute joke however but there playoff run was similar to that of the 85 patriots a lot of lucky bounces.
To me, Burrow does not seem that much better than Jones.

You're right about the coaching.

Now, the '85 Pats made their own 'luck'.

Berry employed a motivational coach in training camp, and an innovative drill to create turnovers.

The team then took advantage of good fortune, that is, opportunities:

-Eason got hurt

-Raiders started Marc Wilson over a healthy and available Jim Plunkett

-Dolphins aged out and became totally dependent on Marino to compete

So, while the Patriots were the best team in the AFC, it was entirely dependent on Grogan's play and leadership. He was my league MVP in '85. Patriots do nothing and go nowhere without him.

No penalties on defense for the whole game! That's quite something.

I don't recall any on Special Teams either - maybe they have the hang of the whole block-in-the-back thing.

Lil Jordan is wide, wide, wide open!!!!

Holy mackerel what a gain that woulda been

He has his own zip code he has so much room. You could see him at the end of the play he's like "C'mon Bro". All QB's miss open guys but for sure their will be discussions about that play.

Crap Lil Hump would have been gone wow Mac locking on to Meyers on the shallow cross.

Yep... It is Un-****ing-acceptable that the former pre-teen model missed somebody that wide ****ing open.

As of today, we have a starting QB who Sucks.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back